21 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I went to see Kick-A** last night. Brilliant movie. Towards the end of the film, there's a scene where Kick-A** shoots up the villains HQ with a Jet Pack armed with machine guns. (An Obvious throwback to Thunderball)

Anyway, the moment I saw this. I thought how cool it would be if we saw Bond shoot up Quantums NY HQ like that. Seeing Craig on a jetpack would be amazing. Shooting everything with the determined look he always has, whilst floating in mid air, 1000 feet up in the sky?

It would give off a nice retro feel, IMO.

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

Not seen the film you refer to Mharkin, but agree that it would be nice to see a more modern take on the Jetpack idea in a future Bond film.

(I am surprised you spelt it Jatpack in the title, what with your appetite for correct grammar old boy B) )

#3 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

Wekk I agree with you Matthew that seeing the jetpack again in a future movie would be amazingly cool and smart, but I'm afraid it would look that way only to Bond fans like us. The other part of the audience would go like "My gosh! What are they doing? Typical Bond effects! Pathetic!". That's how the general audience would respond to this in my opinion.

But to be honest "Do I look like I give a damn?" B)
Watching Craig lift off with one of these machines in a nice three piece would be larger than life, wouldn't it?

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

I kind of feel like Bond has done that. I would like to see him do something new.

#5 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

I went to see Kick-A** last night. Brilliant movie. Towards the end of the film, there's a scene where Kick-A** shoots up the villains HQ with a Jet Pack armed with machine guns. (An Obvious throwback to Thunderball)

Anyway, the moment I saw this. I thought how cool it would be if we saw Bond shoot up Quantums NY HQ like that. Seeing Craig on a jetpack would be amazing. Shooting everything with the determined look he always has, whilst floating in mid air, 1000 feet up in the sky?

I agree.
Jetpacks have come a long way though.
See here:
http://www.dailymail...ale-50-000.html

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

(I am surprised you spelt it Jatpack in the title, what with your appetite for correct grammar old boy :tdown: )

Haha. I don't mind incorrect grammar as such, it's just annoying when people take no time to correct it, and make it a constant habit. (NO NAMES OF COURSE) B)

Mods, could you please correct the title. :tdown:

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

No more jetpacks please. It was ridiculous enough being used ironically in KICKASS.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Not sure how'd you make the jetpack work in the Craig era. Bond's feet are pretty firmly planted on the ground now, so to speak.

BTW, first draft of TWINE had Bond using a jetpack to chase down Cigar Girl.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

BTW, first draft of TWINE had Bond using a jetpack to chase down Cigar Girl.

Would have made that chase sequence more interesting.

#10 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

I agree.
See here:

I'm more surprised at how far they haven't come. I think people in the 60's expected a lot more than this.

And as far as bringing it back to Bond... No thanks. I'd much rather see Little Nellie than that.

#11 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I agree.
See here:

I'm more surprised at how far they haven't come. I think people in the 60's expected a lot more than this.

And as far as bringing it back to Bond... No thanks. I'd much rather see Little Nellie than that.

You've got to be kidding. That's a HUGE improvement over the early models.

#12 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

Craig on a jetpack would actually look pretty good, and give the Bond fans who think craignotbond.com a good reason to start seeing the good in Daniel.

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

You're welcome Harkin. B)

#14 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

Craig on a jetpack would actually look pretty good, and give the Bond fans who think craignotbond.com a good reason to start seeing the good in Daniel.

The taste of those on that website should never be used as a barometer of what is and isn't a good idea.

#15 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

You're welcome Harkin. B)

Thank you, Bryce. :tdown:

#16 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

I agree.
See here:

You've got to be kidding. That's a HUGE improvement over the early models.

Really? It looks bigger, clunkier, more impracticable, and somewhat resembles two fridges stuck to a frame.

#17 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

I've been waiting years for them to bring back the Jet-Pack. But sadly, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

#18 Qboat

Qboat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

I've been waiting years for them to bring back the Jet-Pack. But sadly, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Always wanted to fly a jetpack, since playing Thunderball, many years ago

I'm gonna pinch your avotar.

#19 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

I'm planning on seeing Kick-B) tonight. So, a jet pack is used in the end is it? Now I did not know that until now! Ever seen Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap? You'll love the bit when it's revealed it was the detective all along. You should definitely see it!! :tdown:

Actually, I love the jet-pack idea. I love the easy convenience of a jet pack or a little nellie or the ejector seat that I associate with Bond. I'd love to see Craig do a big bad retro(ish) Bond movie with the Bond theme roaring out of the Dobly system! :tdown:

#20 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

If I give it more thought, say two minutes, I come to the conclusion that jetpacks are out of place in a Daniel Craig Bond film. His Bond films are not known for gadgets are they. Plus we don't want them going down the road of re-hashing old ideas and putting them in future films. The little "nods" they have done have been enough and palatable. No more though please.

#21 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

If I give it more thought, say two minutes, I come to the conclusion that jetpacks are out of place in a Daniel Craig Bond film. His Bond films are not known for gadgets are they. Plus we don't want them going down the road of re-hashing old ideas and putting them in future films. The little "nods" they have done have been enough and palatable. No more though please.

I know what you mean - and I'm not sure jet packs per se are suitable. I just want the bigger than life Bond back - with outlandish plots, evil villians and a few interesting gadgets you can't buy in Staples. DC's bond could pull it off the same way as Connery's could.

Anyway - watched Kick-B) last night. Have I missed the love for this movie here? Coz I thought it was great. Really great with some amazing set pieces. Trailers included Scott Pilgrim (too much like Kick-:tdown:??) and Prince of Persia (too young??) - both of which dind't do much for me but can see they'll both have their fans..

#22 Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

No no no the jet pack was great in TB coz it was brand new. Never seen before.
That's what we need in the next Bond. Not something 25 years old.