#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I was struck by a post that said that a certain magazine (no names) said "Stop believing all the lies peddled about Bond."

It was implying that the DAF DVD commentary bit about Valerie Perrine being in DAF is a lie.

So is everything on the DVD commentaries lies? Why should we believe what this magazine says over what's on the DVD commentaries?

Call me naive, but would they really lie to us on the DVD commentaries? What would they have to gain?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

This post should be in the relevant thread, don't you think?

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Someone move it... B)

I'm making the point about the DVD commentaries in general.

#4 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

No-one is being "lied" to.

There are sometimes little urban myths that slip the net of verification and spin to that universe called It Must Be True.

And people who work on Bond films are only people at the end of the day. You work on something 40 years ago, it is important and high profile and you may have a great time making it, but no-one is expected to get every recollection right when they are asked to record a commentary for a DVD - where every scene has to be talked about (and not every actor, writer, director, producer or DOP is physically present every second of every day).

Can anyone here recount every job they did in accurate detail when the job was sometimes decades ago? I was asked about something I did 15 years ago the other day. And because it was immediate to the person watching it I felt I had to get every reminiscence right. But I couldn't as I have moved on, and it was not that immediate to me. And there are 22 Bond films to date. That is a lot of personnel, anecdotes and facts to get 100% right.

And the Makings Of were a very important archiving project for Eon & Danjaq - interviewing and recording recollections of a great many people who are already not with us is not something anyone set out to get wrong.

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I'll have to watch it again to see if I'm right, well listen to it, but doesn't Moore say that what was said about Fleming wanting him to be Bond is not true? (On the The Man With The Golden Gun DVD commentary).

#6 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Moore said that he had no idea if he was ever considered for the role originally, as he was never approached about it at the time.

Also, the rumour of Fleming having seen Moore in The Saint and thinking he would make a good Bond is clearly false, as the series didn't premiere until Dr. No was already completed.

Edited by Rufus Ffolkes, 26 March 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#7 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Moore said that he had no idea if he was ever considered for the role originally, as he was never approached about it at the time.

Also, the rumour of Fleming having seen Moore in The Saint and thinking he would make a good Bond is clearly false, as the series didn't premiere until Dr. No was already completed.

Interesting...

I must say that I'm really enjoying working my way through the "making of" features on the UE DVD's...and I haven't even hit the full-length commentaries yet. Certainly the best bunch of DVD's I've ever invested in.

#8 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Clearly false? Fleming could have seen Moore twice in the role before he saw the premiere of Dr No, it would make no difference whether it was completed by then or not. Also, the comment could still be made even if Fleming had seen Connery in the role of Bond, he could still think Moore would make a good Bond.

As for the original thread question about being lied to, well you need to be able to realise the difference between a lie and a mistake. I lie is to deliberately mislead, to knowingly tell something that isn't true. I suspect no one was being lied to.

#9 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hollywood is a minefield of half truths and follies. Also, whatever we hear in a commentary is only one individual's side of the story. For it is human to make mistakes. Just enjoy the commentaries. Treat them as entertainment and take any fact you hear with a pinch of salt. No one is necessarily lying, they are perhaps simply unaware of all the facts!