Best Ian Fleming biography?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Noir

Mr. Noir

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

There are several Ian Fleming biographies out there, but I'm not sure which one I should buy. While I'm definitely interested in reading about his time creating and writing Bond, I would like to read about more than just that. What would you recommend?

#2 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Pearson's "The Life of Ian Fleming" is by far the easier to read. Pearson' style is wonderful and is helped by Pearson's first hand expereience of Fleming and his lifestyle.

However, it was written pretty shortly after Fleming's death and Andrew Lycett's book contains far more information and insight, and is written with the benefit of 40+ additional years of the "Fleming phenomenon".

However, writing does not come as remotely naturally to Lycett as it does to Pearson and it is often a bit of a slog to get from one piece of info to the next, IMO.

Style over content, then.

These are the two major Fleming biogs, and I haven't bothered to read any others.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Pearson's "The Life of Ian Fleming" is by far the easier to read. Pearson' style is wonderful and is helped by Pearson's first hand expereience of Fleming and his lifestyle.

However, it was written pretty shortly after Fleming's death and Andrew Lycett's book contains far more information and insight, and is written with the benefit of 40+ additional years of the "Fleming phenomenon".

However, writing does not come as remotely naturally to Lycett as it does to Pearson and it is often a bit of a slog to get from one piece of info to the next, IMO.

These are the two major Fleming biogs, and I haven't bothered to read any others.

Agreed. And just for a bit of fun, read John Pearson's "James Bond:The Authorised Biography". Not a bad attempt to fill in the gaps in Bond's life story.

#4 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Agreed. And just for a bit of fun, read John Pearson's "James Bond:The Authorised Biography". Not a bad attempt to fill in the gaps in Bond's life story.

Lycett is my preference of the two, but a very heavy read.

Add to this list James Bond - The Man and His World: The Official Companion to Ian Fleming's Creation, by Henry Chancellor. For the 007 fan, I think this covers everything one would be looking for, and it nicely blends Fleming and Bond. If you really have the time, look for non-fiction by Fleming; he wrote a lot of it. And it'll not only tell you a great deal about him, but also help you see why any "biography" of Fleming involves choices, judgement calls regarding what to accept, validate as "fact." (Many get it wrong in key areas, I think, based on my own reads.)

#5 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hard to choose between Lycett and Pearson - read both! B) I think Pearson's is more of a narrative, Lycett's more a reference volume, but both are excellent. Ian Fleming had a fascinating life, and three successful careers, as a journalist, an intelligence officer and of course as a novelist.

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Good question Mr Noir, I cant say I have read either. I have read the one Dell Deaton mentioned James Bond - The Man and His World: The Official Companion to Ian Fleming's Creation, by Henry Chancellor and can give it a B) up.

Keep meaning to get round to reading the Lycett one as it seems to always be on the bookshop shelfs still. I have flicked through it and note it mentions Flemings time in Sevenhampton in Wiltshire.

Do we know much about Fleming's time at Sevenhampton?

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 17 March 2010 - 08:18 PM.