17 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

So, here's the thing. I've just been on vacation to Barcelona for the week. On Friday, our flight was canceled due to an air strike, which left us without accommodation. Luckily for us, the air line booked us in to a massive 5 star hotel. It was like I just walked into a Bond film...

http://www.marriott....-airport-hotel/

Take a look at this site, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm not to keen on the exterior, but the inside is amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing Bond visit this in the future.

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Whoa, it's like...a hotel.

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Fascinating.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Fine. I won't bother in future.

I just thought it would be an interesting location. For B) sake.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Even though I don't think it warrants a Bond film placement, Mharkin has just come back from a holiday and is excited from what he has seen. He just wanted to share that with everyone. And that is fine.

#6 onthetracksof007

onthetracksof007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

I actually think the exterior is the interesting part.
Nice find and probably a joy to stay at.. B)

#7 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Did no one else see this Hotel on Paul Merton's programme about Europe on Five Recently

http://www.hoteles-s...america-madrid/

#8 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Did no one else see this Hotel on Paul Merton's programme about Europe on Five Recently

http://www.hoteles-s...america-madrid/

That's quite cool. Can imagine that being more to the liking of the producers.

#9 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

They look horrible and tacky, both of them.

Fleming's Bond would hated them too. Remember what Fleming did with Erno Goldfinger the modernist architect he despised, he used his name for a Bond villain?

Wonder why it's always the villains (with the exception of the minority report MI6 in QOS) who have the cutting edge, highly modern pieces of architecture, and Bond (MI6) lives in the realm of traditional, British, Edwardian buildings?

#10 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

Wonder why it's always the villains (with the exception of the minority report MI6 in QOS) who have the cutting edge, highly modern pieces of architecture, and Bond (MI6) lives in the realm of traditional, British, Edwardian buildings?

I think that's more the case of the earlier movies.

Since the early 1990s, the MI6 Building in London has been neither traditional nor Edwardian. More of an eyesore, bearing closer resemblance to a gaudy cake.

#11 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

Whoa, it's like...a hotel.

LOL.

#12 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

No offence, but I don't think James Bond 007 would stay in a Marriot Hotel.

But Barcelona would be a cracking location - Mont Juic, Sitges, Port Olimpic, Tibidabo, Sagrada Familia (echoes of FROM RUSSIA's Hagia Sofia), Barri Gotic (the Gothic quarter) and L'Exaimple could all lend superb backdrops to the right pulse of story.

#13 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

Doesn't mean the films shouldn't return to that pattern.

Since the early 1990s, the MI6 Building in London has been neither traditional nor Edwardian. More of an eyesore, bearing closer resemblance to a gaudy cake.

The Vauxhall Cross building is a nasty exception, but that shouldn't become a norm.

On the subject of Barcelona, I agree with Zorin... I'm big lover of Gaudi's Art Nouveau architecture, and that would provide some great setpieces for a Bond story - particularly the Sagrada Família, Casa Milà, Casa Batlló and Park Güell.

Posted Image

#14 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Looks like a pretty nice hotel Matt, I hope you had a great vacation.

#15 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

But Barcelona would be a cracking location - Mont Juic, Sitges, Port Olimpic, Tibidabo, Sagrada Familia (echoes of FROM RUSSIA's Hagia Sofia), Barri Gotic (the Gothic quarter) and L'Exaimple could all lend superb backdrops to the right pulse of story.

Agreed and agreed. No offence, but we all stay in Marriot hotels; James Bond should be somewhere more classy.

Barcelona would make for a great location. I like the idea of using the Sagrada Familia (inside and outside), and how about a foot/car chase through a crowded La Rambla down to the Barri Gotic?

#16 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

Agreed and agreed. No offence, but we all stay in Marriot hotels; James Bond should be somewhere more classy.

Barcelona would make for a great location. I like the idea of using the Sagrada Familia (inside and outside), and how about a foot/car chase through a crowded La Rambla down to the Barri Gotic?

Yeah, Barcelona is a travelers-magnet lately and I can't see why Bond shouldn't visit it as well! We haven't seen much Spain in Bond films generally and I think it's about time we did!

#17 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

Doesn't mean the films shouldn't return to that pattern.

I don't disagree.

#18 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Barcelona and Spain have great architecture. We saw the Bilbao Guggenheim of course, but yes, more Barcelona, and also some Andalusian places like Granada.