9 replies to this topic

#1 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 04:40 AM

It seems as if NightFire has become the gaming community's latest thing to trash. :) Glance over these two links...it's a bit depressing.

http://www.voodooext...2&contenttype=1
http://www.bluesnews...&threadid=38224

Some arguments are valid, such as the AI being horrendous and the game performing slower than it should. But it doesn't look like a HL engine game...it's only got as much HL in it as HL had Quake in it. It looks almost as good...if not better...than a Q3 game for the most part. I can only assume that people see "HL" and instantly think "oh god, Gearbox is at it with the HL engine again." I think the engine is fine...it just needs to run a bit smoother.

However, this little bit of information caught my attention:

I think this may be a demoo that was actually on some UK game magazine and it isn't final or the actual demo EA intended to release. This demo was brough to us by Evil Avatar and I doubt they have the same one EA will release next week.

Another demo? That would certainly explain why the demo was suddenly postponed. Perhaps this one is an older, less polished one and was delayed at the last minute...but FileShack didn't get the notice to hold off on time and EA just decided to let everyone put it up. I hope so... :)

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 02:22 PM

If we can notice all the bad points from a mile away, then there's no doubt that Gearbox already has - it has to be just this demo.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 02:24 PM

woah, those reviews of the demo really slate it.

#4 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 11:26 PM

EA hasn't mentioned the demo and today I found this:

http://www.ea.com/ea...2g2000gnonenone

So maybe the demo that was released was the wrong version and all will be well by Wednesday?

Also, does this remind anyone of a certain other game? :)

As Bond, players will operate in the Austrian Alps, a Japanese high-rise and even into a zero gravity space station

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 11:30 PM

Well it's not the official demo I would gather then. That's good to hear. I haven't played it, but it's getting panned quite a bit and I don't like to see that.

#6 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 04:10 AM

Here's a response I found from a Gearbox employee at their official forums:

Yes, I work at Gearbox.

I'm sure many of the questions you would like to ask concern some of the problems with the Nightfire demo.

The demo was released before many of these problem with the game were fixed. I'm not sure how much I can say about the state of the demo verses the state of the final version of the game, but the final version of the game does not have many of the problems that show up in the demo.

Many of the people working on Nightfire here at Gearbox read the posts in this forum and on forums at other websites, so we are aware of the complaints that some people have about the demo.

All I can suggest is wait until the final version of the game is released and read the reviews from gaming sites that try it out. You may find that reviews of the final version of the game are more favorable than some of the complaints seen on some of the forums.

Looks promising. :)

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:46 PM

How long have they had their own forums?

#8 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:07 PM

I'm not sure. I first found them last Thursday when I saw someone mention them and decided to check it out.

#9 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 05:13 PM

Hmm...they had an X-Box promotion at my local 'Game' store last night and I finally got an opportunity to play Nightfire. Sorry to be negative, but the graphics were dull and the enemy guards kind of stood around waiting to be shot. Wasn't helped by the fact they had it set up next to a demo of 'Rainbow Six: Splinter Cell'. That just blew Nightfire out the water.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:48 AM

If this truly is a representation of NF, I have but one question: is there no one (influential) in the EA/Eon/MGM/whatever franchise that relises Bond is a pop-icon and ought to be treated with a little more respect (i.e. using the best damned game engine out there, and the best damned voice actors out there, and asking the true Bond fans (us) what they want in a Bond game)?

They've certainly got the money, why not make a computerised version of Bond that lives up to Ian Fleming's idea. Hell, if they did what I suggested it could be a The Man with the Golden Gun game and I'd buy it!