The best bond fighter

24 replies to this topic

#1 007mission

007mission

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

This man can take down all the bond actors in a shot. Its too bad he did one film. I always put him last of my favorites bond but I like the guy but since he did one film I cant judge him like the other bonds but at least this man can fight. I believe he is the best bond if he did more than 2.

#2 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

There is one advantage of doing little Bond films, Lazenby and Dalton didn't have a weak entry in the series, they may have only made three, it were three quality pictures.

I agree, Lazenby was physically the most impressive.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 13 January 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#3 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

If i was a bond villan i definitely wouldn't start on lazenby or craig

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

I can't really pick who I think is the best fighter between Connery, Lazenby or Craig as their fight styles are different.

Connery certainly threw the most powerful punch. Much of that has to do with his sheer size, powerful man. Look at the scene in Thunderball where he is at Shrublands and he pulls the guy through the window and gets him with the phone, Connery is the only guy who could pull that off (maybe Craig).

While Connery was more the brawler, Laz was a bit more....maybe graceful is the word I am looking for in his fight scenes. He was a bit more light on his feet. No wonder he went on to do martial arts films. He was not the brawler of Connery but perhaps a bit more athletic.

Craig is closer to the brawler that Connery was but also has great speed.

Connery is certainly the most intimidating if he were to confront you.

#5 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

George Lazenby could kick all the bonds B) in real life, he was a 6th degree blackbelt and studied martial arts and he studied with Bruce Lee, no joke. He should of done a few more movies.

Edited by BryanHerbert, 15 January 2010 - 02:22 AM.

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

George Lazenby could kick all the bonds B) in real life, he was a 6th degree blackbelt and studied martial arts and he studied with Bruce Lee, no joke. He should of done a few more movies.

Actually that is an untrue rumor that has gone around for quite some time. Lazenby did not study with Bruce Lee, in fact he hardly knew Bruce Lee. They were going to do a movie together but Lee died before filming.

#7 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

Fighting ability:
Timothy Dalton>all other bonds

#8 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

I can't really pick who I think is the best fighter between Connery, Lazenby or Craig as their fight styles are different.

Connery certainly threw the most powerful punch. Much of that has to do with his sheer size, powerful man. Look at the scene in Thunderball where he is at Shrublands and he pulls the guy through the window and gets him with the phone, Connery is the only guy who could pull that off (maybe Craig).

While Connery was more the brawler, Laz was a bit more....maybe graceful is the word I am looking for in his fight scenes. He was a bit more light on his feet. No wonder he went on to do martial arts films. He was not the brawler of Connery but perhaps a bit more athletic.

Craig is closer to the brawler that Connery was but also has great speed.

Connery is certainly the most intimidating if he were to confront you.

I'd agree that he's the most visually intimidating and imposing and could ward off my fights with a growl or a glance. Laz, in his prime, would have taken most opponents by surprise: a pretty boy, cocky and cheeky--who could turn all loose with his fists.

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

Fighting ability:

Really????

I am a big fan of Dalton's portrayal of Bond and believe he is the closest to Fleming's original books, however I can't say he was the best fighter. It is unfortunate but Dalton's two Bond films never gave him a really good fight scene and the fight scenes they did give him did not show him to have the prowess of Connery, Lazenby or Craig. I hate to say it, but his punches suffered similar to Brosnan's punches - no weight behind them.

#10 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Actually that is an untrue rumor that has gone around for quite some time. Lazenby did not study with Bruce Lee, in fact he hardly knew Bruce Lee. They were going to do a movie together but Lee died before filming.

Would that film by any chance have been, "The Man From Hong Kong"? I've always felt that Bruce would have done that film if he had lived.

#11 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

Not true. Lazenby is the one that Bruce Lee fought in the Roman Coliseum in Return of the Dragon.

#12 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

Not true. Lazenby is the one that Bruce Lee fought in the Roman Coliseum in Return of the Dragon.

Not according to Laz

You are thinking of Chuck Norris.

When I met George Lazenby he spoke about his experience with Bruce Lee. He was supposed to have dinner
with Lee to discuss doing a movie, Lee never made it to the dinner that night.

He also said that there had been a lot of exaggeration about he and Lee.

#13 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Fighting ability:

Really????

I am a big fan of Dalton's portrayal of Bond and believe he is the closest to Fleming's original books, however I can't say he was the best fighter. It is unfortunate but Dalton's two Bond films never gave him a really good fight scene and the fight scenes they did give him did not show him to have the prowess of Connery, Lazenby or Craig. I hate to say it, but his punches suffered similar to Brosnan's punches - no weight behind them.

His headbutt on Dario in LTK was fierce.

#14 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

Not according to Laz

You are thinking of Chuck Norris.

When I met George Lazenby he spoke about his experience with Bruce Lee. He was supposed to have dinner
with Lee to discuss doing a movie, Lee never made it to the dinner that night.

He also said that there had been a lot of exaggeration about he and Lee.

Seconded. Just watched it recently, and it's quite unmistakably Chuck Norris. Doesn't look even remotely like Laz.

As for my opinion, Laz probably wins out. I'm thinking of the punch-backslap-punch combo he gave the henchman next to the ski closet at Piz Gloria. Quite brutal.

Connery and Craig are arguably neck and neck. Connery got the back-stomping, neck-slinging train fight, Craig's proven himself in several rough tussles (Dryden's contact, Obanno, Slate), and hopefully the best is yet to come.

#15 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

I agree. Lazenby is by far the most impressive fighter out of all the Bonds. I think what's sho jarring about it is, that when you look at Connery, you expect him to fight the way he does, the same goes for Craig. But with Laz, looking at him, it's kind of hard to tell just how well he can fight and what fighting style he employs, so when we do see him get physical in OHMSS, it's pretty damn awesome.

#16 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

George Lazenby was an actual blackbelt in real life, not the movies. It's been said in numerous interviews i have seen. So therefore i know its true. plus i have done my research.

read this: to be a martial arts instructor you in fact have to have a blackbelt and know what the hell your talking about.

http://www.timeoutsy...ge-lazenby.aspx

http://bondambitions...george-lazenby/

Edited by BryanHerbert, 21 January 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#17 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

George Lazenby was an actual blackbelt in real life, not the movies. It's been said in numerous interviews i have seen. So therefore i know its true. plus i have done my research.

read this: to be a martial arts instructor you in fact have to have a blackbelt and know what the hell your talking about.

http://www.timeoutsy...ge-lazenby.aspx

http://bondambitions...george-lazenby/

I'm not disputing his martial arts knowledge, I know he taught martial arts in the army. I am disputing that he studied under Bruce Lee because he did not.

#18 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

As for my opinion, Laz probably wins out. I'm thinking of the punch-backslap-punch combo he gave the henchman next to the ski closet at Piz Gloria. Quite brutal.

Absolutely. Lazenby’s Bond is bone splintering. And fast. He doesn’t muck around. Take the hotel fight for example, crashing a chair over his opponent and dishing out consecutive punches in a matter of seconds.

#19 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Those punches to Draco's men look very painfull! And the hotel fight is really intense! However I just can't decide which one is better. Craig or Lazenby.

#20 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

He doesn’t muck around. Take the hotel fight for example, crashing a chair over his opponent and dishing out consecutive punches in a matter of seconds.

Of course in all fairness (and this is nothing against Laz) the film was sped up during many of Laz's fight scenes in OHMSS, such as the hotel scene mentioned above.

#21 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Agree. Lazenby was elegant and very impressive in fight scenes.

#22 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

He doesn’t muck around. Take the hotel fight for example, crashing a chair over his opponent and dishing out consecutive punches in a matter of seconds.

Of course in all fairness (and this is nothing against Laz) the film was sped up during many of Laz's fight scenes in OHMSS, such as the hotel scene mentioned above.

And all the blows were overdubbed hard. It all helps to make them aesthetically the hardest hitting Bond film fights.

#23 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

And all the blows were overdubbed hard. It all helps to make them aesthetically the hardest hitting Bond film fights.

Indeed; the first time I watched OHMSS, that first kick in the water... what a blow! I felt like wincing every time a punch was thrown, but it was awesome! B)

#24 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Didn't Laz accidentally once hit one of the supporting cast members during filming . . . or during an audition or something?

Frankly, I think all of the Bonds were effective screen fighters. Including Dalton and Brosnan. None of them fought in the same style. Then again, I never expected them to.

#25 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

Yes he did. During an audition test fighting scene George Lazenby failed to pull a punch and hit Yuri Borienko in the face, breaking the man's nose. Harry Saltzman was so impressed with the punch that he practically, if not literally, stepped over the prone Borienko and told Lazenby they were going with him as their next 007.

Additionally, EON was so impressed/pleased/relieved with the good-natured way Borienko took the incident that they signed him up for the role of Blofeld's number one henchman, Grunther.