#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:37 AM

Gemma Arterton: The Bond girl done good

Since her debut with 007, Gemma Arterton has resisted the starlet trap and opted for surprisingly gritty roles

Gemma Arterton is, in her own words, a freak. “I was born,” says the 23-year-old former Bond girl (Quantum of Solace) and St Trinian’s starlet, casually thrusting forward her hands, “With two extra fingers.” She rubs softly the raised pinkish knuckle scars on the side of both hands and continues, “There were no bones in them, just the fingers and the fingernails.” Arterton, dressed down in denims and black winter woollies, and munching on a rocket and goat’s cheese salad in an East London rehearsal studio, then cocks her head to one side, parts the hair of her trademark bob, and adds, “And I’ve got a crumpled ear, look!” She taps the mildly swollen flesh at the top of her right ear, and sighs, “I was a freakish baby. A bit of an oddball. And I still feel like that now.”

Which is perhaps easy to say if, like Arterton today, you’re sporting sculpted cheekbones, smouldering brushstroke eyes and a rising Hollywood career. And yet the star of BBC One's Tess of the Urbervilles in 2008 wears her beauty and her nascent stardom lightly, and projects the chirpy mien of someone unimpressed by cover-girl kudos. And there is little cause to doubt her. She has recently returned, for instance, from a blockbusting Hollywood sojourn, shooting two of the biggest movies of summer 2010, the video game adaptation Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time opposite a newly buffed Jake Gyllenhaal, and the mythological epic The Clash of the Titans, co-starring Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson. But she mostly speaks of these high-gloss experiences in less flattering terms. As a proud RADA graduate, she found the obsession with body image over performance style troubling.

“On one of the movies, I’d just done this big comedy scene, and all they said was, ‘You need to work on your arms!’ ” she recalls, looking down perplexedly at her own arms, as if to say: “Hey, when you’ve had 12 fingers, everything else looks OK from here.” She continues: “And I said, ‘But what about the acting?’ And they said, ‘Don’t worry about the acting, worry about your arms!’ I just wanted to say, ‘Screw you all! I’d rather do a play!’ ”...

Read more...

http://commanderbond...quicknews/56958 - The Times

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

I'd pay to see Gemma Arterton: The Bond girl done good...

#3 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

I too, like Gemma Arterton, was born with two extra fingers, and still have the scars (my mother still calls them "nubbies," much to my chagrin). So, she'll always have a special place in my heart - us polydactyls need to stick together.

#4 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

I too, like Gemma Arterton, was born with two extra fingers, and still have the scars (my mother still calls them "nubbies," much to my chagrin). So, she'll always have a special place in my heart - us polydactyls need to stick together.

You can look at her hands; but as long as she's got the St Trinian's uniform, I'll be happy to tag along.

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

BTW if anyone's interested, St. Trinians (the first one!) has finally shown up on DVD in the USA this week.

#6 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

Gemma Arterton is, in her own words, a freak. “I was born,” says the 23-year-old former Bond girl (Quantum of Solace) and St Trinian’s starlet, casually thrusting forward her hands, “With two extra fingers.” She rubs softly the raised pinkish knuckle scars on the side of both hands and continues, “There were no bones in them, just the fingers and the fingernails.” Arterton, dressed down in denims and black winter woollies, and munching on a rocket and goat’s cheese salad in an East London rehearsal studio, then cocks her head to one side, parts the hair of her trademark bob, and adds, “And I’ve got a crumpled ear, look!” She taps the mildly swollen flesh at the top of her right ear, and sighs, “I was a freakish baby. A bit of an oddball. And I still feel like that now.”

I can imagine the talking in her first date with a guy!

#7 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

http://www.socialboo..._medium=twitter

GEMMA ARTERTON almost quit her role as a Bond girl opposite DANIEL CRAIG in 2008's QUANTUM OF SOLACE - after a movie executive belittled her "common" accent.

Fancy that. B)

#8 captnash2

captnash2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

actually it was carey lowell and famke janssen who did good and broke the 'bond girl' curse.