35 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

It would have been interesting to see how Lazenby performance would have grown through attrition, but it would have been more interesting to see Peter Hunt’s vision for Diamonds Are Forever. I think it would have been a great revenge film.

This might whet your appetite: George Lazenby's "Diamonds Are Forever" B)

#32 Max-Zorin

Max-Zorin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for posting. Some great photos there, always interesting to see those considered for Bond. I think Robert Campbell looks like he'd suit the part well, guess we'll never know.

#33 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

At MI6, they are claiming that Robert Campbell was/is from New Jersey, USA.

Wonder if being an American ultimately did for his chances of getting the part...?

#34 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:39 AM

Wonder if being an American ultimately did for his chances of getting the part...?

I fail to see why. John Gavin was well and selected for Diamonds Are Forever and James Brolin very nearly was in Octopussy. Unless between 1969 and 1971 the team had a very big change of heart regarding Americans. After all, Connery really only came back at the insistence of MGM persons.

#35 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

I fail to see why. John Gavin was well and selected for Diamonds Are Forever and James Brolin very nearly was in Octopussy. Unless between 1969 and 1971 the team had a very big change of heart regarding Americans. After all, Connery really only came back at the insistence of MGM persons.

But, of course, Gavin didn't become James Bond. In either DAF or later LALD. This may have had something, ultimately, to do with his being an American.

And, remember, an American has never become James Bond - despite, I'm sure, there being very good candidates for the role. Perhaps, dare I speculate, better than the one who got the part...

#36 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

And, remember, an American has never become James Bond - despite, I'm sure, there being very good candidates for the role. Perhaps, dare I speculate, better than the one who got the part...

Let's see. James Brolin, John Gavin or Burt Reynolds for the role of James Bond over George Lazenby. Hmmm . . . no thanks.