9 replies to this topic

#1 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

I was 12 years old when I saw Diamonds are Forever back in December 1971. I was a timid jr high schooler suddenly swept into this glitzy world of sex and danger, wealth, power and violence, sex, class and elegance, sex and fast cars, etc. Here was this big, good looking guy who always knew the right thing to say to the girls and the goons, took no guff from anyone and had the backing of his government to destroy private property on the way to protecting the general population. Unfortunately my attempts to emulate his style were met with contempt and derision from my schoolmates.

I didn't even mind when he changed faces and reappeared with lighter hair, blue eyes and a sophomoric sense of humour. As much as LALD made my summer in 73, TMWTGG made my Christmas in 74. I had been to Hong Kong and Bangkok a few years earlier, and this was a wonderful way to revisit the sights (and I had been there first!).

This was the last Christmas Bond for a long time. Although NSNA was still in theatres in Dec 83, it wasn't the same. I was married by this time, and my efforts to emulate my hero still weren't working (or even welcome).

The return of the Christmas Bond coincided with my divorce, and as much as I welcomed Pierce in GE, TND and TWINE, it was Die Another Day that started my new life rolling.

First I won tickets to attend the premiere, where I was handed an invitation to a 007-themed party being held the next night at a downtown nightclub. The dress code said 'Bond apparel' which could have meant anything from swim trunks to a clown costume, but I went with the spirit of the message and assembled a new #1 black & white ensemble for the occasion.

I was a hit. I won the trivia quiz and the 'name that tune' segment, and was voted 'most Bondlike' by a panel of local celebrities (mainly because I declined to roll around on the stage pointing my finger menacingly at the audience; I simply whipped out my gunmetal case, lit a cigarillo with my battered, oxodized Ronson and strolled off again). I won a load of prizes worth about $1000 and all the girls wanted to meet me and have their pictures taken with me. They didn't even slap me when I made a few suggestive, off-the-cuff remarks.

For the first time since my divorce - scratch that, since my marriage began - I was seeing myself the way others saw me. I was no longer making a conscious effort to emulate Bond, yet everyone was saying that I "had the character down pat." By this time I was the same age as Roger Mooore was while filming LALD. I had made it.

Two weeks later I wore my new rig to a singles Christmas dance where I was again a minor hit. Emboldened by a new confidence I went to a singles New Years Eve party where I met the lady who has been my constant companion for the last seven years. As impressed as she was with my appearance, she was relieved to learn later that I was not as slick as I initially appeared - I was also educated, devoted to my children and shared many interests in common with her.

She is not a rabid 007 fan like me, but she remains supportive. She is a Dalton fan, and had seen TLD before meeting me. We like to make a big deal out of watching some of the films, primarily my favorites mentioned above. This Friday we're having friends over and watching OHMSS on the big screen, with champagne and caviar ("from the north of the Caspian!").

It took a long time, but I have come to realize that there are better things than being like Bond - such as being liked for who and what you are.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannuka and Happy New Year from a fellow fan who will not become a widower on New Year's Day.

#2 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

It's a good story and thank you for sharing, AMC. There's a good lesson in there, too, that I never previously distilled on my own. Emulate Bond only to the point that it brings out the inhibited, positive parts of your own personality--which perhaps some of us have trouble reaching without the mythology. Anything further and one is not true to one's self.

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:41 AM

I agree that is a nice story. I enjoy hearing how fans got drawn to the series, especially those who have been around for several eras.

DAF was the first Bond film I saw when it was new in the cinema, although I was all of 5 when I saw that. I saw the others previously on rereleases with family members.

#4 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

It All started on Valentines Day 1997, My and my older brother where chilling in the basement and my mom was like hey i got you a present, so i ran up stairs, Low and behold that the next present would changed my life as a kid, It was Golden-eye 007 the video game. One Milli-second later, i was playing the game kicking butt and taking names. It was the best games ever, Playing long nights with friends, in the Complex, with power weapons lurking in the vents lol I thought to myself Bond and this game is "BADASSS" That is how i became very interested in the movies.

#5 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

The Golden-eye 007 video game was amazing. Best multi-player experience I have ever had. I spent countless action-packed hours playing with my nephews. I think the popularity of the game probably cultivated quite a group of longterm fans in the late 90s!

#6 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

goldeneye was amazing. plus, the scientists are hilarious!

#7 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

A very good story with a important lesson of all.

#8 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

P.S.:
I can't abide martinis. I tried one once and decided I'd rather drink anti-freeze. Even at the 007 party I described above I wouldn't touch them (besides, the green ones glowed in the dark, just like anti-freeze). Just because Fleming had Bond drink them was no reason for me to poison myself. I drink what I like, which I think is more Bondlike than drinking something to emulate someone else (although I have to admit I like to have a couple of crantinis before laying off the vodka and drinking straight cran cocktail).

#9 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

Christmas 1962

My cousin boasted that he had seen the New James Bond film "Dr No"

"The hero fights with a giant octopus" he told me.

It was three years later when I first saw Dr No. And another six years after that when I first read Ian Fleming'd Dr No; and realized I had been duped.

Still what I saw, and what I read was imprinted on my brain.

At that time I was old enough to ride on a Honda 50 and hum the theme tune as I attended a Bond TRIPLE bill.

Dr. No
Goldfinger
Thunderball

#10 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

It took a long time, but I have come to realize that there are better things than being like Bond - such as being liked for who and what you are

Bryce may disagree with the first bit of that;)