43 replies to this topic

#31 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'm hardly against experimenting, otherwise i'm sure i'd have a rather limited number of favourite films and tv shows. But those films, on that list, don't grab me enough to want to rush out and see them. Another list and it could be very, very different.

So you haven't yet seen them? Believe me, you missed out on some pretty good ones. My experience is: in the wake of a lifetime one sees a terrible lot of pretty low dreck that one just suffers to kill off some time, isn't it? Next time you find yourself in such a position, give No Country For Old Men a try. See it as a character building experience, just to show you can do it, watch a film that doesn't immediately pop all your body glands. And if you're 15 minutes into it and you still don't want to know how this particular story continues, ok, then I suppose it's just not made for you. Doesn't make you an evil soul or something.

If you should find it, surprisingly, most surprisingly, an interesting, maybe even
joyful experience, then you may find other films on this list may give you a similar experience of unexpected discovery.

#32 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

What a dismal decade the noughties has been for film making.And why isn't Transformers on that list?

Film snobs.

Yes, this film snobbery is getting out of control.

"Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood" deserved a spot in the top 30, at the very least.

Agreed.

Should have been lower.

What is it with you and your hatred for the Craig era? Be a little more open to new ideas, mate!

You're right.

I'll try not to have an opinion next time.

#33 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Agreed.

Should have been lower.

What is it with you and your hatred for the Craig era? Be a little more open to new ideas, mate!

You're right.

I'll try not to have an opinion next time.

I'm not trying to mute your opinion! What are your reasons for hating QOS, anyway? Come on, let's here 'em out.

#34 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Completely besides the topic of this thread, but how did you feel about Inglorious Basterds? Both the opening scene and La Louisane were unapologetic Hitch homages.

I haven't seen it, shock horror. I had an afternoon off in the big bad city in September and opted to see District 9 over Inglourious Basterds. In retrospect, maybe a bad decision.

That said, Tarantino strikes me as a 'three chords' director. Quite like the chords, but I've heard them too often.

I'll catch up on it someday if you think it worth seeing. I remember you putting me onto In Bruges with gob[censored]e Colin Farrell, for which I thank you.

#35 Salomé

Salomé

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Completely besides the topic of this thread, but how did you feel about Inglorious Basterds? Both the opening scene and La Louisane were unapologetic Hitch homages.

I haven't seen it, shock horror. I had an afternoon off in the big bad city in September and opted to see District 9 over Inglourious Basterds. In retrospect, maybe a bad decision.

That said, Tarantino strikes me as a 'three chords' director. Quite like the chords, but I've heard them too often.

I'll catch up on it someday if you think it worth seeing. I remember you putting me onto In Bruges with gob[censored]e Colin Farrell, for which I thank you.

In my opinion, Inglorious Basterds was a return to form after a fairly poor decade for Tarantino.

Together with the Hurt Locker, it is the only major release in my top five of movies for 2009.

#36 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Das Leben der Anderen is an absolute masterpiece. Certainly worthy of a place in the top 5 of the decade. But Mean Girls in any list that doesn't have "worst" in the title is a very strange thing.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 15 December 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#37 Salomé

Salomé

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

Das Leben der Anderen is an absolute masterpiece. Certainly worthy of a place in the top 5 of the decade. But Mean Girls in any list that doesn't have "worst" in the title is a very strange thing.

I blame that on the media's sudden infatuation with Tina Fey.

#38 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Mean Girls is mildly amusing; sort of Heathers-lite. Wouldn't put it on any kind of "best" list personally, but there are literally countless "chick flicks" out there that are far worse.

#39 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

Please don't let that be the end of the thread, it's embarassing. Serves me right I guess.

#40 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Very well. Wish granted.

Mean Girls is mildly amusing; sort of Heathers-lite. Wouldn't put it on any kind of "best" list personally, but there are literally countless "chick flicks" out there that are far worse.

#41 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

Oh yeah

DIE ANOTHER DAY

Truth be told, I only made it as far as the start of Iceland. But truth be told again, I can say with no lack of confidence, and no shame, that DIE ANOTHER DAY is, by a bit of a length even, Brosnan's best Bond film.

Wait, I actually agree with that.

Never mind.

#42 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

Oh yeah

DIE ANOTHER DAY

Truth be told, I only made it as far as the start of Iceland. But truth be told again, I can say with no lack of confidence, and no shame, that DIE ANOTHER DAY is, by a bit of a length even, Brosnan's best Bond film.

Wait, I actually agree with that.

Never mind.

Enough of this Safari. I don't like cockfights.

Wait, yes I do...

Wait, I mean I DON'T!

#43 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Leonard Maltin said "there have been cockfights with more redeeming social value" than How High. That has nothing to do with anything* I just thought it was funny.

*Unless How High was on the list and I missed it.

#44 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

Leonard Maltin said "there have been cockfights with more redeeming social value" than How High. That has nothing to do with anything* I just thought it was funny.

*Unless How High was on here and I missed it.

How on earth do you find these trivia bites? I do not advise Googling up 'cockfights' at work.