10 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

In March it was announced that Macmillan would publish a series of authorized Young Sherlock Holmes novels. Turns out this series has many Bond connections. First, it's obviously inspired by the Young Bond books. Second, author Andrew Lane is a Bond fan and co-author of the very fine, The Bond Files. And today Amazon has revealed cover art for the first book, Young Sherlock Holmes: The Death Cloud, featuring an image of Young Sherlock created by Young Bond artist Kev Walker.

Kev Walker artwork for new Young Holmes series
Posted Image

I'm actually pretty jazzed about this series. I've been in big-time Holmes mood lately.

#2 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

In March it was announced that Macmillan would publish a series of authorized Young Sherlock Holmes novels. Turns out this series has many Bond connections. First, it's obviously inspired by the Young Bond books. Second, author Andrew Lane is a Bond fan and co-author of the very fine, The Bond Files. And today Amazon has revealed cover art for the first book, Young Sherlock Holmes: The Death Cloud, featuring an image of Young Sherlock created by Young Bond artist Kev Walker.

Kev Walker provides art for Young Holmes series
Posted Image

I'm actually pretty jazzed about this series. I've been in big-time Holmes mood lately.

Most interesting. German Amazon still gives the title as Young Sherlock Holmes: The Colossal Schemes of Baron Maupertuis, cover art looks to be a little cut down.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

UK Amazon listed that title until recently. I'm sorry they changed it. Also sorry they didn't use more of Walker's work. The image above is not the cover -- it's the full art from Walker's agency portfolio.

#4 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

But they already have the new title on the cover. Suppose Amazon didn't bother to get their title data updated yet.

#5 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:44 AM

Lane also penned a very good Doctor Who/Sherlock Holmes crossover novel, All-Consuming Fire some years back (amongst many other "Who" books and audios).

#6 Sniperscope

Sniperscope

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:07 AM

Well I guess it could be argued that Young Bond was influenced by the Young Sherlock Holmes movie (or the Young Indiana Jones series) so I guess we've come full circle now! B)

Actually I'm not too interested in this announcement in the same way I am not interested in the Young Bond series. These sorts of spin-offs tend to make the characters almost too linear in their conception. In other words they have always been "destined" to be the character we know as an adult and that their formative years were simply some kind of training ground for the missions to follow...

Edited by Sniperscope, 28 November 2009 - 04:08 AM.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Very excited about this development B)

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Lane also penned a very good Doctor Who/Sherlock Holmes crossover novel, All-Consuming Fire some years back (amongst many other "Who" books and audios).

Yes, I recently read this when I heard about the Young Holmes project: it's a lot of fun and almost suffers a bit when the Doctor turns up because it's so enjoyable as a Holmes story up until that point (There's even a Baron Maupertuis in it!)! B) This book should be good, hopefully.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Audiobook on Amazon has a different cover that shows off Kev's artwork better.

http://www.amazon.co...121/ref=ed_oe_a

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:54 AM

Got a nice high res version of the cover from the publisher. Check it out.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

Lovely; now you can print your own! B)