28 replies to this topic

#1 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

The Egyptian has posted their new calendar and here's how they are ringing in the new year...

Friday, January 1
7:30 PM DR. NO & YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Saturday, January 2
7:30 PM GOLDFINGER & THUNDERBALL

Sunday, January 3
7:30 PM MOONRAKER & FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

This should be great!

Neil

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

MOONRAKER! B)

#3 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

This is terrific news indeed! YOLT, MR, and FYEO rarely hit the BIG screen! I am so looking forward to this and hoping this will also afford the opportunity to kick the year off right with my CBn colleagues!

#4 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

Was just about to post this!
This is great news; nothing like MR on the big screen; should be a magnificent couple of days!
see you all there!

J

#5 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

There's a chance I'll be in Cancun for New Years so I can't quite commit to anything for New Years.
BUT... Sunday, January 3 MOONRAKER & FOR YOUR EYES ONLY... I'm SO THERE!

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:09 AM

Lord knows where I'll be or what condition I'll be in by then. London? Monte Carlo? Guido's? The list is endless, but this does sound like fun.

#7 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:21 AM

MOONRAKER! B)

Indeed, zencat. Hopefully seeing it and YOLT on the big screen will increase the fan base for these 2 highly underrated Bond films. I wish a Bond film festival would happen near where I live.

#8 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

This is great. If I am able to see Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only, it'll only be Octopussy and A View to a Kill that I have not seen on the big screen. Looking forward to this.

#9 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

This is great. If I am able to see Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only, it'll only be Octopussy and A View to a Kill that I have not seen on the big screen. Looking forward to this.

I'm just missing TMWTGG at this point..wish someone would play that...

#10 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

Golden Gun played at the New Beverly two years ago with OHMSS. It was an odd double feature.

After this I'll just need to see Octopussy, A View To A Kill and Licence to Kill.

Tickets are on sale now. I'll get mine on Friday.

Neil

#11 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

Golden Gun played at the New Beverly two years ago with OHMSS. It was an odd double feature.

After this I'll just need to see Octopussy, A View To A Kill and Licence to Kill.

Tickets are on sale now. I'll get mine on Friday.

Neil

How did I miss that!!!!!

#12 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

You weren't reading commanderbond.net that day. B)

I'm sure it'll play again at some point.

Neil

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

Reminder - coming up soon!

#14 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

So who all is going? I wish I could, especially for TB & YOLT. Please give us a report of how it goes.

#15 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

I've got my tickets for all 3 nights.

Neil

#16 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

I'm definitely in for Sunday night;
Cant make it Saturday and it's not looking great for tonight....

#17 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:43 AM

Here's a web link for this event-

http://egyptiantheat...Bond_ET2010.htm

#18 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Anybody go last night?
Compete in the trivia competition?

Cant wait for Moonraker tonight!

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

I've been sick all week. Better, but still not well enough for an evening out. HUGELY bumed about this.

#20 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

The trivia contest was brief. Maybe 15 questions asked for various prizes. I won a popcorn for naming Draco's criminal organization.

Dr. No and Goldfinger were 35mm prints of the Lowry restorations. Dr. No had more wear than I would have liked to have seen on such a recent print.

Thunderball and You Only Live Twice were very nice prints, but not from the latest restorations. The color was fine on both of them though and they were intact.

Neil

#21 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

I'll be there tonight. Hope to see some of you there!

I was out of town for the first two nights (thanks for the recap, Neil!), and supposed to fly back yesterday but got snowed in in New England an extra day. I was really afraid for tonight, because I've never seen either of these ones on the big screen, but luckily I got in! (Might be a tad tired come FYEO, though, having gotten up at 6AM EST.) AFter this, I'll only need Octopussy, AVTAK and NSNA in the theater...

Zencat, REALLY sorry to hear about your illness. Feel better!

Brisco

#22 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

Leaving my house now, If anyone wants to say hi, I'l be wearing a claret rugby shirt and sitting upstairs (assuming its open)

#23 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

The trivia contest was brief. Maybe 15 questions asked for various prizes. I won a popcorn for naming Draco's criminal organization.

Dr. No and Goldfinger were 35mm prints of the Lowry restorations. Dr. No had more wear than I would have liked to have seen on such a recent print.

Thunderball and You Only Live Twice were very nice prints, but not from the latest restorations. The color was fine on both of them though and they were intact.

Neil

Definitely envy the TB/YOLT viewing experience. How was Steven Jay Rubin as host? Did he do a good job?

#24 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Steven Jay Rubin was fine as a host. He did not show up tonight. Moonraker was a great print, but For Your Eyes Only was the very best of them all this weekend! It was very bright with great color and no wear whatsoever on it. This is what it must have looked like at the first show opening day in 1981. The sound was also tremendous on FYEO.

Neil

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Oh, I'm sure it looked better than it did in 1981. I saw FYEO on Hollywood Blvd in 1981. It wasn't even playing in one of the premium theaters. The theater it played in (the old Warner Pacific theater?) has been sitting abandoned for years. I think it might have been a pørn house for a while.*

Really sorry I missed this. How was the turn out?

* BTW, Octopussy played in what is now the beautifully restored El Capitan Theater -- back then it was a pretty junky Paramount Theater. Starting with NSNA, all Bonds opened at the Chinese, with the exception of TND which played at the ill-fated Galaxy.

#26 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

The crowds were fine. Goldfinger naturally was the most crowded. Fewer people stayed for the second feature every night.

And I'll admit it. I was the one who applauded the double taking pigeon, but I wasn't alone!

Neil

#27 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

What a great event. I have been longing to see Moonraker and For Your Eyes Onlyon the big screen for some time. As Neil said the prints were amazing. I still think Moonraker is underrated and seeing it on the big screen I believe it even more. I hope the Egyptian does Octopussy and A View to a Kill at some point. Sorry you missed it, Zencat.

#28 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

And I'll admit it. I was the one who applauded the double taking pigeon, but I wasn't alone!

Neil

You most certainly were not alone! I was leading the applause in the balcony!

What a great night!

After just recently having seen MOONRAKER on Blu Ray and being blown away by that presentation, I was not expecting the maximum impact this Egyptian screening delivered.

MOONRAKER really is best viewed with an audience. MOONRAKER is pure ridiculous fun! Laughing (in all the right places) with an audience is contagious. I was cracking up and grinning throughout.

The prints were very nice indeed. My only complaint was that MOONRAKER did not seem to be in Dolby surround. This was confirmed when FYEO kicked off and all the of the surround speakers were getting a good workout.

Last night ranks high on the sentimental meter. It was like seeing old friends for the first time in a long time...

Sorry you missed it, Zencat. And sorry I did not get to chat with any fellow CBn members. I am embarrassed to say that because I was still on post-holiday EST and I started nodding off during FYEO and decided it best to head home a little early. Yes, I am getting old...

Edited by Solex Agitator, 04 January 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#29 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Neil

You most certainly were not alone! I was leading the applause in the balcony!

What a great night!

After just recently having seen MOONRAKER on Blu Ray and being blown away by that presentation, I was not expecting the maximum impact this Egyptian screening delivered.

MOONRAKER really is best viewed with an audience. MOONRAKER is pure ridiculous fun! Laughing (in all the right places) with an audience is contagious. I was cracking up and grinning throughout.

It is fun to watch Moonraker with an audience, especially one that gets the fact it's supposed to be a fun, "popcorn" film. That's great to read that you all enjoyed it.