Fixing THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

64 replies to this topic

#1 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

TLD is one of my favorite 007 films — I'd probably rank it No. 4 overall — but, like all cinema, it isn't perfect. What would you change about it to make it even better?

I'd do the following:

• PTS: We first see the woman on the yacht when she hears a muffled boom (the Land Rover exploding), interrupting her phone conversation. "What was that? Oh well... Where were we? Oh yes..." (Cut to Bond's parachute descent, then back to woman) "If only I could find a real man."

• When entering the safe house, Bond meets and stops to talk briefly with the security man who later fights Necros in the kitchen. ("How's the arm? Heard that was a rough scrape," or some such.)

• As in QOS, the only thing Bond's Aston Martin has that's special is bullet-proofing. No laser torch, missiles, ski runners, or rocket motor. (Okay, let's keep the self-destruct mechanism.)

• Replace Joe Don Baker with Lance Henriksen.

#2 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

Ned Beatty plays Whittaker. He chases Bond around his lair, telling Bond he should squeal like a pig. Due to popular demand, Christopher Walken returns for his 2nd consecutive Bond movie, dancing through the title credits as more cowbell sounds than ever before are heard. JW Pepper makes his final appearance in the film when he is shot by Soviets when he wanders onto the airbase trying to buy a car while on vacation.

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

I wouldn't change a lot, but I'd either have had Jeroen Krabbe make his performance more menacing and less clownish, or I'd have recast the role.

#4 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

No laser torch, missiles, ski runners, or rocket motor. (Okay, let's keep the self-destruct mechanism.)

Why have a self-destruct mechanism if there are no secrets to hide?

#5 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'd change absolutly nothing about this wonderful film, I'd give it 10/10 any day.

#6 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ned Beatty plays Whittaker. He chases Bond around his lair, telling Bond he should squeal like a pig. Due to popular demand, Christopher Walken returns for his 2nd consecutive Bond movie, dancing through the title credits as more cowbell sounds than ever before are heard. JW Pepper makes his final appearance in the film when he is shot by Soviets when he wanders onto the airbase trying to buy a car while on vacation.

B) :tdown: :tdown: :) :)

I'd change absolutly nothing about this wonderful film, I'd give it 10/10 any day.

Ditto.

#7 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

TLD is my 3rd favorite Bond movie. What would I change? I'd get rid of the gadgets in the Aston Martin. That's it.

#8 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'm almost in total agreement. If there was a way Koskov could be a bit more menacing or more of a threat possibly. But other than that, The Living Daylights is the best Bond film made post-Thunderball.

#9 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

If there was a way Koskov could be a bit more menacing or more of a threat possibly.

If that had happened, Georgi Koskov would have been just another typical Bond villain. What made him so unique to me was that he seemed like the best friend who would stab you in the back if you were not looking. I like Bond villains who are subtle. They're more intersting to me than the obvious ones.

#10 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

I love this movie as is but perhaps a little more action with Bond involved would make it more exciting. I don't think my 9 year old nephew would enjoy TLD as much as the Moore/Brosnan offerings for this reason. This is the most adult and classy Bond of it's era.

#11 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

I am not
in the habit
of going against
Tarl Cabot.

#12 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

I love this movie as is but perhaps a little more action with Bond involved would make it more exciting. I don't think my 9 year old nephew would enjoy TLD as much as the Moore/Brosnan offerings for this reason. This is the most adult and classy Bond of it's era.

It's a real spy thriller in my eyes, and has action that feels like it serves the story or at least feels natural because of the story. I wouldn't want to see more of them thrown in just for the sake of having them there, ala Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day.

TLD is ranked only behind OHMSS, CR, TSWLM in terms of my favourite Bond movies.

#13 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:41 AM

The only thing that's ever come off as unsettling, for want of a better term, is during the PTS when Bond lands on the boat. The "Bond, James Bond" just sounds too rushed. Other than that, there's nothing I'd change about The Living Daylights.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Change it how?

With fixes for today's audiences or fixes for how audiences might have reacted to the film in its day?

Erm.

#15 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

The only thing that's ever come off as unsettling, for want of a better term, is during the PTS when Bond lands on the boat. The "Bond, James Bond" just sounds too rushed. Other than that, there's nothing I'd change about The Living Daylights.

I think he's trying to give the impression that it's no big deal, just his name, and he's brushing the girl off, as if it's not the most important thing at that point, because he has a phone call to make. It would've sounded very artificial if he had played the part like Pierce Brosnan: "Bond [big pause, better make this one count].... JAMES Bond."

#16 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'd recast Kara and have Bond encounter Necros at least twice.

#17 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

I think he's trying to give the impression that it's no big deal, just his name, and he's brushing the girl off, as if it's not the most important thing at that point, because he has a phone call to make. It would've sounded very artificial if he had played the part like Pierce Brosnan: "Bond [big pause, better make this one count].... JAMES Bond."

Absolutely. The line is a cliche bordering on the ridicilous due to the fact that it is almost TOO iconic now. Craig is the only one who's made it sound cool in decades.

And Dalton's Bond could not be arsed by cliches. B)

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

I'd change a few of John Barry's tracks, the villains, and John Terry as Felix Leiter.

Apart from that? Nothing, it's damn near perfect.

#19 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

doesnt fixing imply that it is broken?

#20 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

doesnt fixing imply that it is broken?

Perhaps I should've used the word "tweaking"... B)

#21 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

Only problem I’ve ever had with TLD is that it’s a little too long. I’d shave a few minutes from the mujahideen attack on the airfield. I’d definitely loose that bit with the shower stalls coming down. Did we really need a Moore era sight gag during the build up to the big finale? The fight on the cargo net could also be tightened up a wee bit.

#22 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

Also, kill Koskov in Afghanistan; having him survive the whole way through instead of killing him in a fiery automobile collision was very disappointing, indeed.

#23 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:32 AM

Nothing. All of my gripes with the film are minor and frankly it works fine as it is. Mind you, I wouldn't change even what I think are the worst of the series to be honest.

#24 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:41 AM

I agree that TLD is almost perfect. There is only one thing I would change:
Any time I'm reflecting on the actors who've played Felix Leiter I almost always forget John Terry. Not only was Felix's contribution too minimal, but Terry was so bland it's easy to forget he was ever there. So, either cast someone more momorable, or at least include a little more dialogue so that his appearance doesn't seem like such an add-on.

#25 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

Also, kill Koskov in Afghanistan; having him survive the whole way through instead of killing him in a fiery automobile collision was very disappointing, indeed.

I could imagine they kept him alive to appear in another Dalton Bond movie.

#26 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

They didn't keep him alive. The Russians shot him.

As for what I'd change. I'd put the eight minutes of character moments that were cut from the final edit back in, which Mr. Pricklepants said made for a better film.

#27 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

I think Whitaker could have done with a little work at the writing stage. I've read some say that the fault lies with Joe Don Baker's casting, but I think he had the makings of a much more memorable Bond villain. He did after all make a much better villain in, well, Fletch (must be careful not to misspell that one).

I also think the scenes in Afghanistan as they are could have done with a little tightening up, perhaps allowing more room for the aforementioned "eight minutes of character moments" that were cut.

Whenever I see this thread's title, I think of this:
http://uk.movieposte...main/5/A70-2536
Perhaps it's what they should call the sequel?

#28 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

They didn't keep him alive. The Russians shot him.

As for what I'd change. I'd put the eight minutes of character moments that were cut from the final edit back in, which Mr. Pricklepants said made for a better film.

What did these scenes really contain, or didn't Mr. Pricklepants mention that? I can't recall the deleted scenes on the DVD being all that interesting (I'm far away from my Bond collection at the moment, so I am unable to check them for myself), so I can't imagine that he was referring to them.

#29 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

I think Whitaker could have done with a little work at the writing stage. I've read some say that the fault lies with Joe Don Baker's casting, but I think he had the makings of a much more memorable Bond villain. He did after all make a much better villain in, well, Fletch (must be careful not to misspell that one).

Interesting point, Safari. There is a horrible problem with the character, and I really don’t think the fault lies in the script. Aside from character motivations existent in the script, I can hardly see a difference between his Whitaker and his Jack Wade. It is surely his performance that is the problem. But I agree that in FLETCH he proves himself capable of some maniacal menace. It begs the question - why didn’t any of that menace show up in TLD?

Only three reasons that I can think of.

1) JDB thought Whitaker would be better served with a side of ham, and John Glen allowed it.

2) John Glen thought Whitaker would be better served with a side of ham, and instructed JDB to play him as such.

3) Both #1 & #2

I’ve always taken the stance that JDB was miscast. If only #2 is true, and Baker was only 'acting' under orders, then I stand corrected.

But I’ve also always taken the stance that John Glen was the wrong man for the job. I stand confirmed.

#30 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I like both Whitaker and Koskov. It's refreshing to see villains that are a fairly down to earth for once, which contributes to the overally realistic feel of the film (despite of featuring, as usual, rather unrealistic situations here and there).

Robert Davi's Sanchez blew them both out of the water, however.