54 replies to this topic

#31 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

Great post, said a lot of what I would say if I had the ability to B)

#32 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Is it a list of really influential and iconic film characters or a list of what had the most marketing money? HARRY POTTER should not be up there as definitive of this decade just because the films made a lot of money in this decade. The films haven't progressed or changed cinema, certainly not for the better.

And am I the only one who doesn't get SHAUN OF THE DEAD? It's a little not-that-good love letter to itself and no more.

I have to thoroughly disagree, Shaun of the Dead puts most comedies to shame let alone the tosh this country usually produces and calls comedies, Richard Curtis etc.

I watched SOTD and Hot Fuzz on Blu ray recently and find them some of the most inventive and hilariously funny films of the last decade, I have to disagree Zorin, Shaun deserves all it's praise and more and certainly is not a love letter to itself, you clearly don't rate but please don't make it seem that those who do are somehow deluded.

That comment I'm afraid rather irked and came across rather superior!

#33 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Shaun of the Dead is an excellent film, I'd agree. It's hugely funny and also works because it's a good zombie flick in its own right. That's where Hot Fuzz falls down, because although it's a decent comedy, it's a terrible action movie. It isn't an action movie at all, in fact.

But good though Shaun of the Dead is, Shaun isn't a character which has a life beyond it. People don't put Athena posters of Shaun on their wall in the way they put up Marilyn from Seven Year Itch or Sean as Bond posters. That's what I'd say a cinema icon is: someone whose poster you'd have on your student house wall without the name of the movie on. So, perhaps I was wrong about The Bride in that case.

#34 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

I agree, as I said earlier it's a great film, but it's one thing to say a character is from a great film, it's quite another to say the character itself is an icon. Simon Pegg being an icon of British comedy in the 2000s; I can buy that. Shaun as an iconic character; can't see it, I'm afraid.

#35 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

I agree, as I said earlier it's a great film, but it's one thing to say a character is from a great film, it's quite another to say the character itself is an icon. Simon Pegg being an icon of British comedy in the 2000s; I can buy that. Shaun as an iconic character; can't see it, I'm afraid.

Borat would have been a better choice.

#36 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

Is it a list of really influential and iconic film characters or a list of what had the most marketing money? HARRY POTTER should not be up there as definitive of this decade just because the films made a lot of money in this decade. The films haven't progressed or changed cinema, certainly not for the better.

And am I the only one who doesn't get SHAUN OF THE DEAD? It's a little not-that-good love letter to itself and no more.

I have to thoroughly disagree, Shaun of the Dead puts most comedies to shame let alone the tosh this country usually produces and calls comedies, Richard Curtis etc.

I watched SOTD and Hot Fuzz on Blu ray recently and find them some of the most inventive and hilariously funny films of the last decade, I have to disagree Zorin, Shaun deserves all it's praise and more and certainly is not a love letter to itself, you clearly don't rate but please don't make it seem that those who do are somehow deluded.

That comment I'm afraid rather irked and came across rather superior!

Im in agreement there Bond 16.05.72. SOTD and Hot fuzz are the funniest, most inventive and original films i have seen in years. Timothy Dalton makes Hot Fuzz, especially with his best line: 'Im sure if we bashed your head in all sorts of secrets would come tumbling out!.
Great performance from an ex-007 and a great film.

#37 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

I'm surprised they didn't have Tobin Bell as Jigsaw on a cover; the Saw series has been ongoing for the better part of the decade, and (as late as this week) still had a feature out.

Also, I wish they would have gotten some better in-studio shots of the chosen faces; Photoshopped magazine covers look downright shoddy these days.

#38 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

James Bond: Craig is very good, made a big impact. I think in a way we have to see where he goes next before you can call him icon. There's only been one truly iconic 007.

I'd say there have been two: Connery and Moore. Craig has a shot at being an icon, but as you say, it'll depend on where things go.

The Joker: he died and it was in a comic book movie. That's the only reason he's here.

Don't agree. He's there because he's one of the most memorable villains of the decade, brought to life through a memorable performance. The death added an exclamation point to something that was already pretty striking.

Shaun of the Dead is an excellent film, I'd agree. It's hugely funny and also works because it's a good zombie flick in its own right. That's where Hot Fuzz falls down, because although it's a decent comedy, it's a terrible action movie. It isn't an action movie at all, in fact.

I greatly prefer HOT FUZZ to SHAUN OF THE DEAD. Like 'em both, but I just don't think SHAUN OF THE DEAD is anywhere near as funny as its successor. And while it might be a "terrible action movie" (though I'm not quite sure what you mean by that), it does a terrific job of sending up action movie cliches.

#39 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:06 AM

James Bond: Craig is very good, made a big impact. I think in a way we have to see where he goes next before you can call him icon. There's only been one truly iconic 007.

I'd say there have been two: Connery and Moore.

Much as I love Moore, the only truly iconic Bond is and always will be Connery.

I'd agree, though, that Moore is the only Bond other than Connery who's in the ballpark of being iconic.

#40 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:19 AM

Much as I love Moore, the only truly iconic Bond is and always will be Connery.

Well, it depends on what we mean by "iconic." In the public consciousness, I'd argue that Moore is just as prominent as Connery as far as the topic of Bond is concerned.

#41 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

I would say the parachute jump and maybe even Jaws are more iconic than Moore himself.

I'm surprised they didn't have Tobin Bell as Jigsaw on a cover; the Saw series has been ongoing for the better part of the decade, and (as late as this week) still had a feature out.

I thought this but didn't really want to say it for fear of the response. However bad you think the Saw movies are Jigsaw is the closest this decade has come to producing a Freddy/Jason/Pinhead/Chucky, and it would be hard to deny at least one of those characters was an iconic 80s figure, even if most of the films weren't very good.

#42 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

Even though both the films I have seen from this series, including the first one, were hilariously bad in my eyes, I always found Jigsaw a pretty intriguing character. He has motivations far more interesting than anything else in the films.

The fact that The Bride is the only woman on these covers also shows how few interesting parts there really are for women in mainstream movies.

#43 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'd say there have been two: Connery and Moore. Craig has a shot at being an icon, but as you say, it'll depend on where things go.

The Joker: he died and it was in a comic book movie. That's the only reason he's here.

Don't agree. He's there because he's one of the most memorable villains of the decade, brought to life through a memorable performance. The death added an exclamation point to something that was already pretty striking.

I greatly prefer HOT FUZZ to SHAUN OF THE DEAD. Like 'em both, but I just don't think SHAUN OF THE DEAD is anywhere near as funny as its successor. And while it might be a "terrible action movie" (though I'm not quite sure what you mean by that), it does a terrific job of sending up action movie cliches.

I think it's SOTD by a hair for me, I don't quite get the it's an awful action film comment, I'll take it over most of the films it's spoofing personally, I'd rather watch it than any of the Lethal Weapon sequels.

Whereas I'd agree HF is spoofing the cop buddy genre, I do find the fact so many reviews refer to SOTD as a spoof rather annoying. Shaun is a loving homage to the Zombie/Horror genre, it doesn't spoof it, it takes the idea of a Zombie invasion and places it in a mundane setting with ordinary people and the comedy comes from the situation not the ridiculing of the genre like so many U.S comedies find the need to do. That way is where Shaun would edge it over Fuzz for me, Fuzz is spoofing although it does t with plenty of heart instead of spite like those Scary Movie types do.

I do think it was unusual that Shaun was in the iconic characters of the decade but probably Empire wanting to congratulate one of the best comedies of recent times and easily one of the best British films for the nougties.

I'm taking to point Zorin's dismissal as just a love letter to itself comment, he'll probably have a really smart defence to back it up but for me it was quite insulting as if those who appreciate it are deluded.

I've seen it many times and each time I watch it I see a hugely funny, inventive, touching a well made film period, British or not. To think it is a debut, it's more accomplished than most Director's 2nd or 3rd films. Wright & Pegg batted it out the park and although their more ambitious follow up doesn't hit the bullseye quite the same it's not far off.

It certainly does a better job than Ben Stiller's awful Tropic Thunder or the overrated Pineapple Express.

As for the Joker's inclusion I think it speaks for itself, one of the best portrayal's of a villain in cinema full stop, Ledgers performance is a good as if not better than Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

You might find DK overrated but Ledger's performance deserves all the acclaim it gets.

Bond & Bourne go without saying!

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 01 November 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#44 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

The moment in CR where Craig's Bond emerges from the sea, Honey Ryder like, in THOSE blue trunks has already in 3 years become a much referenced and parodied scene (much to Craig's dismay admittedly) that I'd argue that it's justification alone for his interpretation making such a list already after just two films.

Edited by baerrtt, 01 November 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#45 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

I thought this but didn't really want to say it for fear of the response. However bad you think the Saw movies are Jigsaw is the closest this decade has come to producing a Freddy/Jason/Pinhead/Chucky, and it would be hard to deny at least one of those characters was an iconic 80s figure, even if most of the films weren't very good.

It's amazing how many of these iconic characters the 80's did produce, isn't it? Rambo, Robocop, Predator, Terminator, Indiana Jones, the Ghostbusters... the list goes on. Any one of those would beat all of these for iconic status.

Roger was a great Bond, but he's not quite a pure cinema icon. You don't really put a pic of him in his flares next to one of James Dean, Steve McQueen and Cary Grant in Rebel, Bullitt and Northwest. Sean you can. Roger comes closest out of the rest, but I don't think it's quite as pure a performance and an image.

He was fine. Honestly it really didn't make much of an impact on me: the Joker is such an obvious character, and Heath just does the fairly standard tics and 'I'm a mental!' acting that Oscar people seem to think is so hard and worthy of rewarding. I just don't see anything clever or interesting about any version of the Joker. Nicholson was at least funny.
If it were in any other film than a comic book film (which automatically means a certain geek population will buy posters and toys of everyone in it) it wouldn't be seen as an iconic performance.

I mean that Shaun was a proper zombie movie with zombie scenes that would work in a non-comedy zombie movie. It's not really a send-up of zombie movies: it's a zombie movie with jokes in. So I expected Hot Fuzz to be an action movie with jokes in but as you say it's a little more of a spoof, but sadly there aren't any action scenes- nothing has been thought out as an action scene. If there's a car chase the cars just drive along a straight road while the camera wobbles; if there's a shoot out people just fire guns. Action scenes need more than that; they have to be choreographed. It felt like they just shot a few people firing guns and hoped to edit them into action scenes later. Not enough thought in there. Felt like a TV show; not a movie. And it was too long and I don't remember that many funny jokes. I've only seen it once.

#46 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

If it were in any other film than a comic book film (which automatically means a certain geek population will buy posters and toys of everyone in it) it wouldn't be seen as an iconic performance.

I don't agree, but I'll just leave it at that.

So I expected Hot Fuzz to be an action movie with jokes in but as you say it's a little more of a spoof, but sadly there aren't any action scenes- nothing has been thought out as an action scene. If there's a car chase the cars just drive along a straight road while the camera wobbles; if there's a shoot out people just fire guns. Action scenes need more than that; they have to be choreographed. It felt like they just shot a few people firing guns and hoped to edit them into action scenes later. Not enough thought in there. Felt like a TV show; not a movie. And it was too long and I don't remember that many funny jokes. I've only seen it once.

I though that style of "action" was just a send-up of the way action seems to be done in many action films today, though there's significantly more choreography in these scenes than you're giving HOT FUZZ credit for. And I think HOT FUZZ is perhaps a constant stream of hilarity, whereas SHAUN only has me laughing every five minutes or so.

#47 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

Ledgers performance is a good as if not better than Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

I disagree. Ledger was very good in TDK, don't get me wrong, but his performance was very one dimensional where as Hopkins was more multi dimensional.

#48 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Ledgers performance is a good as if not better than Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

I disagree. Ledger was very good in TDK, don't get me wrong, but his performance was very one dimensional where as Hopkins was more multi dimensional.

Fine. List these dimensions and tell me how they differ for each character.

#49 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I've never seen HOT FUZZ or SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

Although, for what it's worth, Tarantino has cited SHAUN as his favourite British film of the past few years.

#50 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:35 AM

I've never seen HOT FUZZ or SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

Although, for what it's worth, Tarantino has cited SHAUN as his favourite British film of the past few years.

You. Go rent these films immediately. You shall not be disappointed.

#51 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

I though that style of "action" was just a send-up of the way action seems to be done in many action films today

Maybe that's true; I don't know- it's hard to tell. I think they'd have been better off sticking to the Shaun way of doing things: making a comedy version of that genre rather than a spoof.

#52 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

I thought the whole point of Hot Fuzz's action scenes was to take typical Hollywood situations and place them in English reality, if that makes any sense. I thought that movie had more exciting action than, say, Transformers 2, which is quite a feat.

Hot Fuzz also has what a Bond fan could believe is a wonderful nod to Licence to Kill. After Simon Skinner's stolen police car has crashed and, if I remember correctly, tipped over, Timothy Dalton is seen crawling away from it in a manner ridicilously similiar to the way he crawled away from the destroyed truck in LTK (which is perhaps my favourite scene in the entire Bond franchise. Dalton is absolutely stunning in it).

Edited by The Ghost Who Walks, 02 November 2009 - 11:33 AM.

#53 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

I thought the whole point of Hot Fuzz's action scenes was to take typical Hollywood situations and place them in English reality, if that makes any sense. I thought that movie had more exciting action than, say, Transformers 2, which is quite a feat.

Hot Fuzz also has what a Bond fan could believe is a wonderful nod to Licence to Kill. After Simon Skinner's stolen police car has crashed and, if I remember correctly, tipped over, Timothy Dalton is seen crawling away from it in a manner ridicilously similiar to the way he crawled away from the destroyed truck in LTK (which is perhaps my favourite scene in the entire Bond franchise. Dalton is absolutely stunning in it).

Having watched HF on Blu ray recently I think the action contained is great, Wright said he wanted the first half to be like Cop hunts serial killer and the pay off would be the Tony Scott/Bruckheimer climax.

Hot Fuzz works a treat, considering it's a spoof it does it with heart unlike Tropic Thunder which is just puerile and not funny to boot.

HF is full of engaging likeable characters and shows the Brits know how to do this better than their U.S friends. The Region B Blu ray has a first time for the UK, the Tarnatino/ Wright commentary.

It doesn't really give much insight into the film as the other commentaries included have already done that but it's like eaves dropping on 2 film geeks having a whale of a time, see how many times Michael Winner pops up in the conversation and be astounded by QT's British crime film knowledge and also the story of how Edgar persuaded Billie Whitelaw to appear in Hot Fuzz. great Fun!

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 02 November 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#54 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

That does sound very interesting. I need to get my hands on a copy of the DVD. The film is the kind I'll probably watch again and again over the years, so it's certainly worth a buy. Didn't Dalton record a commentary too? That could be fun to listen to.

#55 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

That does sound very interesting. I need to get my hands on a copy of the DVD. The film is the kind I'll probably watch again and again over the years, so it's certainly worth a buy. Didn't Dalton record a commentary too? That could be fun to listen to.

Dalton and some of the other NWA members a give commentary on one track, as well as Pegg/Wright, Pegg & the Cops and I believe David Arnold did one as well.

The QT one was included only on the Region 1 disc but has only turned up for the first time in the UK on the Blu ray version.

I must say Wright & Pegg always give good commentary, the ones contained on the Spaced box set are great as well. Kevin Smith & QT pop up on the most recent US version.