12 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

Now that The Young Bond Dossier has been released, thought I'd start a thread on the new short story, A Hard Man To Kill.

Here's a thought I've been dying to discuss. This could be considered a SPOILER, so don't read on if you want to read the story fresh.

Does anyone else wonder if the villain of the story, Caiboche (the "hard man to kill"), is Blofeld? I haven't cracked open my Fleming to check, but there was something about Charlie's description that sounded Blofeld-like -- the small ears close to the head, etc. And I seem to recall that Blofeld had some kind of Algerian background. And isn't Blofeld 5 to 10 years older than Bond? That fits.

Or am I crazy?

#2 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

Haven't read the short story (still in the mail) but I have to disappoint you about Blofeld, I'm afraid. His background was Polish IIRC.

But Le Gerand from Benson's Union trilogy had an Algerian background! Might be a reference to this character, although an anachronism, timeline-wise.

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

Interesting thoughts. Isn't Cailboche a bit to much of a meat head? I thought Blofeld was a little handsome? This Cailboche is more like a boxer. I will have to re-read the description in Thunderball about Blofeld.

#4 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Blofeld has changed his appearence drastically over the books. In 'Thunderball' he was quite bulky. After the operation failed it would seem he realised the need for a good cover. What better for a fat man than to become a slim, aristocratic figure? That's what he did and Bond met a quite different person on Piz Gloria, elegant and with silvery hair.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Haven't read the short story (still in the mail) but I have to disappoint you about Blofeld, I'm afraid. His background was Polish IIRC.

But Le Gerand from Benson's Union trilogy had an Algerian background! Might be a reference to this character, although an anachronism, timeline-wise.

Ah, that's where I was getting the Algerian connection from.

Interesting thoughts. Isn't Cailboche a bit to much of a meat head? I thought Blofeld was a little handsome? This Cailboche is more like a boxer. I will have to re-read the description in Thunderball about Blofeld.

As Trident said, Blofeld has changed his appearance over the years. And while Cailboche is a brute, he's wicked smart and commands a small band of loyal men. I can easily see Cailboche evolving into the man we know as Blofeld.

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Good points, and a school boy error on my part. Cailboche has very small ears, a little like Blofeld ears maybe?

Spoiler

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yes, it was the mention of "small ears" that started me thinking.

#8 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

Cailboche has a past in France, joined the legion and after the great war returned to Africa.

Blofeld became a Polish National after the great war. (Acording to Wikipedia)

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hmmm...maybe my Blofeld theory is bonkers then.

#10 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

I think you are on to something Zencat, maybe not Blofeld, but he has got to be someone in the future relevant to Bond. But who? B)

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

He's a great villain. Probably the most dangerous of all the YB villains. If Charlie does a series II it would be great to have him come back.

#12 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

Well, Caiboche is around five feet as described by Charlie when YB spots him being herded onto the ship; Blofeld, as per Fleming in OHMSS, is well over six feet...

Now that is one hell of an appearance change!

That said - he knows someone with a submarine.... (And I doubt its the Beetles yellow one.)

#13 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

He is obviously the new BIG Bond adversary. It's the only reason they gave him the escape they did. Very well done and he's obviously not as stupid as we were first meant to believe.

Great short story. Hurry up with what's next!