LINK TO VIDEO

#2 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Interesting that Jackman rightfully is annoyed at the mobile going off, but no-one seems to be concerned that TMZ are showing an illegally shot piece of phone footage of the play?!

#3 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Maybe because a mobile phone going off during a live performance is a far greater crime B)

#4 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Absolutely.

#5 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

Some people eh. I cant imagine what its like to be acting and be pulled out of it by some burk with a phone going off! I know Beale went off on one during the filming of Terminator Salvation, but it must have been somewhat annoying when you are focussed and in charcter and someone mucks it up.

#6 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

What a B). I would have left the stage.

#7 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

Every time I see this happen, I think, how hard is it to silence a cell phone?

Seriously.

I can understand you forget to put it on silent. Okay. So when it goes off, grab it and press a button. Total time, five seconds.

People just don't give a damn.

#8 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

I actually applaud Jackman and Craig to not ignore this but wait for the guy to silence the phone. Which took an astonishingly long time, by the way.

I just don´t understand why people have their cell phone on all the time. All the time.

Being on the job - fine.
Waiting for an important call - fine.

But going to a theater? Being at a restaurant?

If I am still waiting for an important call I just do not go to a theater or a restaurant.

But, you know, politeness is not for everyone...

#9 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

Every time I see this happen, I think, how hard is it to silence a cell phone?

Seriously.

I can understand you forget to put it on silent. Okay. So when it goes off, grab it and press a button. Total time, five seconds.

People just don't give a damn.

My thoughts exactly and what crosses my mind whenever a phone goes off in the cinema.

#10 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Funny little video.

Wish i could see that show.

#11 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

I actually applaud Jackman and Craig to not ignore this but wait for the guy to silence the phone. Which took an astonishingly long time, by the way.

I just don´t understand why people have their cell phone on all the time. All the time.

Being on the job - fine.
Waiting for an important call - fine.

But going to a theater? Being at a restaurant?

If I am still waiting for an important call I just do not go to a theater or a restaurant.

But, you know, politeness is not for everyone...

Indeed. Unless you work in a field where it is absolutely necessary someone get a hold of you should they need you (i.e. I've a friend who works in ICU, and often gets called away from things) turn your phone off. Annoys me all the more when I see kids out and about texting non-stop. I've seen kids text each other when they're well within earshot.

#12 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

And what happened to that old technique of putting your phone on vibrate. If I really cannot turn my phone off in the cinema, I pop it on vibrate and it goes off and I have time to edge outside and answer it. It ain't rocket science.

#13 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

I would have thought entering a darkened and quiet theatre to listen to a show would provide ample cues to turn one's mobile phone off, but apparently not in this case.
I wonder where it will end - maybe one day we will all settle down to a Bond DVD commentary only to have the directors mobile go off mid sentence!

#14 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

A few stages in New York and Chicago and here in L.A. have notices and have cell phone blockers. Once you walk in, you're in the a "no signal" zone. Frankly, I think it's great. I wish more restaurants and bars did this. Then again, it's the world we live in and LA and NYC live by these things. I ranted over at the main thread.

As I stated in that thread - If you go out and spend your money to go out for a movie, a play or dinner, then you have the time also. What? You can't take two hours away from your precious email, twitter or texts?

Well, do the rest of us all a big favor. STAY AT HOME and text until your thumbs bleed or your nails chip.

Here endeth the rant....

For now...

No...Really.

#15 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

A few stages in New York and Chicago and here in L.A. have notices and have cell phone blockers. Once you walk in, you're in the a "no signal" zone. Frankly, I think it's great. I wish more restaurants and bars did this. Then again, it's the world we live in and LA and NYC live by these things. I ranted over at the main thread.

As I stated in that thread - If you go out and spend your money to go out for a movie, a play or dinner, then you have the time also. What? You can't take two hours away from your precious email, twitter or texts?

Well, do the rest of us all a big favor. STAY AT HOME and text until your thumbs bleed or your nails chip.

Here endeth the rant....

For now...

No...Really.

I have one line I have used recently and it sort of works (depending on the venue staff - they don't always give a toss once they have their money). It certainly pisses off the culprits as much as they have me....

"Yes er Manager... I think the person in row F with the YouTube t-shirt has been recording the whole show / film on their phone....!"

#16 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Nice! B)

LOL Zorin.

#17 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

I think you've got it right, Bryce. People are genuinely *addicted* to connection and distraction, and it's not getting better.

#18 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

This has now made the "And Finally" on ITN national news at 10 her in the UK. As Zorin said, this illegal clip has got some legs on it! Who ever filmed it is getting there ticket moneys worth! B)

#19 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

This has now made the "And Finally" on ITN national news at 10 her in the UK. As Zorin said, this illegal clip has got some legs on it! Who ever filmed it is getting there ticket moneys worth! B)

Maybe it will eventually reach the person who left their mobile on in the first place!

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:41 AM

Was this a publicity stunt, I wonder?

#21 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

I would say improbable, but certainly by no means impossible.

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

Mobile phones going off during plays has been a growing problem of late. What better way to call attention to this issue by having it happen to Hollywood megastars Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig, at which point they deal with it firmly but politely and professionally, remaining in character all the while, and then the clip gets massive media publicity (along with publicity for the show in question). I mean, call me cynical, but....

#23 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:05 AM

Mobile phones going off during plays has been a growing problem of late. What better way to call attention to this issue by having it happen to Hollywood megastars Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig, at which point they deal with it firmly but politely and professionally, remaining in character all the while, and then the clip gets massive media publicity (along with publicity for the show in question). I mean, call me cynical, but....

It has happened before, while a friend was in show and it happened during Craigs monologue. He addressed the person in much the same way back then "Wanna get that?" - so I doubt its done to enhance the media circus. B)

#24 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

For a show that had already sold out...?

#25 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

If so it´s a good one.

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

People don't just do publicity stunts to get people to buy more tickets. They also do publicity stunts to make themselves look good and generate goodwill for the future.

#27 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

No. The uncomfortable arsing around with Oprah was the publicity stunt.

#28 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

No. The uncomfortable arsing around with Oprah was the publicity stunt.

:tdown: B)

#29 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

People don't just do publicity stunts to get people to buy more tickets. They also do publicity stunts to make themselves look good and generate goodwill for the future.

I'm not sure Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman need to do that though. They are hardly struggling for column space.

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

I don't know. When was the last time a celebrity ever behaved as though he'd had enough of good publicity? Besides, Oprah seemed at first not to know who "Daniel Cregg" was, and she certainly hadn't heard of the play.