42 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

First things first, no links to where it may be obtained, let's not get this thread locked, and most importantly - let's not get this excellent website shut down.

I've always wanted to see this version, I don't agree with piracy at all, but as it's Bond, I've always been very curious to see it.

I'm sure a few on here have seen it, and all I really want to know are, what were the major differences? were there any alternate scenes we don't know about? was the magic carpet ride included?

As I've said before folks, let's try and keep this legal, I wouldn't want to jeopardise this place, nor the staff and members.

DISCUSSION ONLY.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

I wasn't even aware there was one! This is news to me! B)

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

The gunbarrel was different... and yet, for some reason, I can't seem to find it on YouTube, though I know it was there before. B)

#4 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:15 AM

The gunbarrel was different... and yet, for some reason, I can't seem to find it on YouTube, though I know it was there before. :tdown:

I saw that, just before it was removed. B)

#5 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

wasn't it just a Gunbarrel where Dalton did a Bob Simmons version ?

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

I've seen the alternate gunbarrel. That's about it. Bond walks along the screen, jumps and fires. I tend to prefer it to the one that was used.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

I never bought it, but I don't think it was the whole film was it? I don't think it got as far as the magic carpet ride.

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

After doing some research online...

The Living Daylights 007 Workprint

This workprint runs around 30 minutes shorter than the DVD version and misses all the main actions scenes. However it has some extra scenes not in the DVD version, one of which is a deleted scene.
NTSC DVD-R, Widescreen, Quality B, 1:42:41
Menu, Workprint Notes, Deleted Scenes and a selectable Workprint Guide

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

There is one great source for everything you'd want to know about the TLD workprint and that's a publication called Video Watchdog, no. 68, February, 2001.

The issue has Dalton on the cover and details the entire film. It's one of the best pieces I've read on Bond in a publication just because here's this lost film of sorts most of us will never get to see.

It's available, in low supply, here http://www.videowatc...home/issues.htm

#10 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

Bang!

I haven't seen the workprint, but I remember them showing a clip from it on Film '87 and the picture quality looked very poor. Like a third-generation VHS dub (which it probably was).

#11 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

I just read that the workprint includes the original voice of Dalton on the set, and he dubbed all his lines later because the production thought he talks too seriously.

Supposedly Dalton re-dubbed all his dialog. Is this true?!

Edited by Binyamin, 27 September 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

I've seen it, but I don't own it. I'd love a copy. If anyone can hook me up, PM me.

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

I've seen it, but I don't own it. I'd love a copy. If anyone can hook me up, PM me.

Seconded. B)

Zencat, could you recall any neat stuff from what you saw?

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Seconded. B)

Zencat, could you recall any neat stuff from what you saw?

One thing that I recall was a greatly expanded M scene at the safe house. More dialogue. More shots of Bond smoking. Just lots of scenes were expanded -- you see shots and hear lines that didn't make the final cut. No magic carpet scene. No action scenes at all.

#15 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

God, I would love to see this.

Thanks for the info, Zencat. B)

#16 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

This is all new to me....whats a workprint?

#17 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

A work print is basically a rough copy of the film that's edited together to give the director an idea of how the film is shaping up.

#18 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

A work print is basically a rough copy of the film that's edited together to give the director an idea of how the film is shaping up.

ahhh thanks Mharkin. You learn somthing everyday! B)

#19 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

So, was all of Tim's dialog in TLD re-dubbed or not?

The suspense is killing me B)

#20 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

Yes, I'd love to know that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton dubbed some of his lines. Happens in a lot of movies. Noises on set, adding the music, etc. drowns out voices. Need to re-dub (there's a case of some really bad ADR in Prisoner of Azkaban, which to this day makes me giggle) every now and again.

#21 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

I have this one. Recieved it last week and watched it one late night when I was very tired. I didn't notice any scenes expanded but rather missing actually. I do wonder if there are different workprint versions out there or was I to tired to notice. Maybe I have to check it out once more...fresh and not half sleeping B)

#22 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

What do you mean "workprint"...? That is surely a working copy of a film that is not meant to be shown to the public or fans on YouTube. It is not complete and in a different form because it isn't finished yet. That is not the same as some great alternative version being available.

#23 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Oh, yes I know. But the TLD "famous/infamous" workprint has been widely spoken of, and as far as I know, no other Bondfilm hasn't had a workprint illegally circulating. All I wonder if there are any different versions of it around. I heard that some talking, for example, about the scenes with magic carpet but if i didn't missed it, my copy didn't have that scene.

#24 Gabriel

Gabriel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

What do you mean "workprint"...? That is surely a working copy of a film that is not meant to be shown to the public or fans on YouTube. It is not complete and in a different form because it isn't finished yet. That is not the same as some great alternative version being available.

They can be interesting though. The Blade Runner workprint was intriguing enough to be released on DVD and Blu-ray in the 5-disc set!

#25 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

There is one great source for everything you'd want to know about the TLD workprint and that's a publication called Video Watchdog, no. 68, February, 2001.

The issue has Dalton on the cover and details the entire film. It's one of the best pieces I've read on Bond in a publication just because here's this lost film of sorts most of us will never get to see.]

Really? Ah, bless you sir! It was written in 2000, long before I knew what I was doing and I got the grand sum of $65 and ten free magazines for it! But the thrill of seeing my name in a mag was a price beyond stolen Afghan diamonds! :0)

And now the grilling begins about putting it up on YouTube.
Well I won't but I'm sure someone will.

#26 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

So, was all of Tim's dialog in TLD re-dubbed or not?

The suspense is killing me B)

Yes, pretty much. If you watch the Lord of the Rings DVDs Making Ofs, you'll see just how little of the actual voices recorded on the sets are ever used. In many cases effects, whirring cameras, barking dogs etc mean it has to be re-recorded anyway. In this case, it seems someone decided that Tim should lighten his delivery in the looping. The scene with Pushkin in the hotel room remains as serious and gruff in the final version, but in other scenes, like with Q and Moneypenny, which, on set, sounded as low and grumbly as the above scene, he rerecorded his lines a little chirpier. If you know the film well enough, you can hear the difference easily. To get an idea what it sounds like, watch LICENCE TO KILL(!) where he sounds angry and serous pretty much throughout!

#27 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

Damn I'd love to see this.

#28 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

The issue has Dalton on the cover and details the entire film. It's one of the best pieces I've read on Bond in a publication just because here's this lost film of sorts most of us will never get to see.]

Really? Ah, bless you sir! It was written in 2000, long before I knew what I was doing and I got the grand sum of $65 and ten free magazines for it! But the thrill of seeing my name in a mag was a price beyond stolen Afghan diamonds! :0)

And now the grilling begins about putting it up on YouTube.
Well I won't but I'm sure someone will.

Just giving credit where credit is due. I know the feeling about seeing your name in print as I used to get that same rush as well in my early by-line days.

I'm amazed you're the only one who referred to my post as it's all there in print in that story. If I didn't already have that issue I would've been online two seconds after reading it to order it.

And I'm also amazed you're not getting a thousand questions. All anybody seems interested in is seeing it, which just doesn't sound like it's going to be possible for the most part.

Not that I'd be unwilling to if I had the chance. B)

#29 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

Could Dan Gale provide it for us? B)

#30 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzq2apwKWZw

Ha, I liked the extended milkman scene, "take this one, it's fresher".

Edited by Jim, 08 February 2015 - 02:36 PM.
....given what you wrote in the opening post...