66 replies to this topic

#31 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

the problem is not so much that bond 23 is coming out in 2011 but that it's coming out november 2011. Bond has no real competition in summer 2011. and before people scream about spiderman Batman etc. Batman is not a done deal by anyone's standards Spider man 3 left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and Captian ameirca Thor etc are untested waters for marvel. Is it wrong for me to be a little impatinet after all Daniel Craig is my faourite bond.

Oh and Zorin it was bound to come out eventually B)

Untested waters, maybe, but Captain America will be far from a flop. Thor has the potential to crash and burn, but there's no chance in hell Captain America won't do well.

#32 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Ill take your salt and raise you these.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll take your Jose and lemon and raise you a

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 General Malice

General Malice

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

I know that Tintin is well known and much loved in Europe, but does he have much of a high profile in the States?

#34 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

I know that Tintin is well known and much loved in Europe, but does he have much of a high profile in the States?

I don't think most people in the states even know who Tintin is.

#35 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

Older people, born 1960s or earlier, seem to be more familiar, in my experience, but most still have no idea who/what Tintin et al are. Hell, I only learned after I followed a link from Craig's wiki page.

#36 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

I'm not even sure it's a European star... IMO it's a high profile character in Belgium and France, not sure about the other countries.

#37 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

BOND's gone up against POTTER and LORD OF THE RINGS and held his own.

Oo-er, missus...

#38 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

BOND's gone up against POTTER and LORD OF THE RINGS and held his own.

In the case of Potter, Warner Bros now make an effort to avoid clashing with Bond films, as they think one of the reasons that Harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets wasnt as succesfull as the rest of the series was going head to head with a Bond film (obviously also having to go agaist Lord Of The Ring's: The Two Towers didnt help much either)

Edited by Orion, 18 September 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#39 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:18 AM

I'm not even sure it's a European star... IMO it's a high profile character in Belgium and France, not sure about the other countries.

I think you're right in that Tintin's popularity is focused mainly around the French speaking European states like France, Belgium and Switzerland.

#40 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

so is this news rumour BS or what?

and seriously no title rumour yet! or that Sean Connery is playing Bond's mother father lover M and the villian! what is the sun doing with it's time?

#41 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:42 AM

and seriously no title rumour yet! or that Sean Connery is playing Bond's mother father lover M and the villian! what is the sun doing with it's time?

I'm perfectly happy with the fact that we're not hearing stupid rumors every other day. Besides if the film is really going to come out in 2011 there's really no point in having rumors pop out this early on.

#42 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

Untested waters, maybe, but Captain America will be far from a flop. Thor has the potential to crash and burn, but there's no chance in hell Captain America won't do well.

It depends on your definition of flop I guess, and personally I think people tend to be over generous (or harsh I guess) with the term, but I've always suspected Captain America will not be a runaway success. He's a well known character, but not really one of the more popular superheroes, and certainly not a very fashionable one. There's also the issue of overseas appeal, which I think will be rather more limited than it is for most blockbusters; only this year G.I. Joe had to be "de-Americanised" to maximise foreign sales (and probably domestic ones too).

#43 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

You may be waiting quite a while for a title rumour, let alone the real thing.

#44 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

It depends on your definition of flop I guess, and personally I think people tend to be over generous (or harsh I guess) with the term, but I've always suspected Captain America will not be a runaway success. He's a well known character, but not really one of the more popular superheroes, and certainly not a very fashionable one. There's also the issue of overseas appeal, which I think will be rather more limited than it is for most blockbusters; only this year G.I. Joe had to be "de-Americanised" to maximise foreign sales (and probably domestic ones too).

Just my thoughts. Cap is a very classic superhero, but he's bordering on the terrain of those other big classics: The Shadow, Phantom, Spirit and so on. He's got a solid fanbase but his best and most successful days would seem to be a bit past. While he's been around in some form or other since the 40's (having his first 'reboot' as early as 1964!), he's lost a lot of his appeal to other, more 'modern' heroes such as Spiderman or Batman. Hollywood may deliver solid popcorn fodder with Cap, but I strongly doubt his potential with ordinary audiences beyond the initial US market will be anywhere near Spiderman or X-Men. And that's not even taking into account any 'political' reasons. Cap (and the Avengers) just aren't that popular outside the States.

#45 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Just my thoughts. Cap is a very classic superhero, but he's bordering on the terrain of those other big classics: The Shadow, Phantom, Spirit and so on. He's got a solid fanbase but his best and most successful days would seem to be a bit past. While he's been around in some form or other since the 40's (having his first 'reboot' as early as 1964!), he's lost a lot of his appeal to other, more 'modern' heroes such as Spiderman or Batman. Hollywood may deliver solid popcorn fodder with Cap, but I strongly doubt his potential with ordinary audiences beyond the initial US market will be anywhere near Spiderman or X-Men. And that's not even taking into account any 'political' reasons. Cap (and the Avengers) just aren't that popular outside the States.

One thing that I think will help sell the film, though, is the fact that they're making it a WWII period piece, basically just lifting the first few issues of the comics, taking some more recent issues that show Cap fighting with the 101st, adapting them a bit to appeal more to modern audiences, and putting it to film. Sure it's not going to draw in a lot of people who ordinarily wouldn't go, but I think it would probably draw in a few more people than if it were something like Cap vs Red Skull in Manhattan.

#46 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

I don't think a costumed hero's popularity has much to do with his/her potential for success in a movie. Nobody knew or cared who Blade was, and that film spawned two sequels, a TV-series, and a planned spin-off. Same goes for Hellboy and even Iron Man. Even panned movies such as The Punisher and Daredevil did pretty good business.

You avoid looking at "political" reasons, but I should add that I feel a movie called Captain America has a better shot at succeeding in Europe and other parts of the world now that a certain Mr. Bush is back in Texas...

I think the planned reboots of the Phantom (a planned big budget movie and an upcoming, and surprisingly expensive, SyFy TV-series) and the Shadow (a Sam Raimi-produced project) also has better shots at success than their previous incarnations. People just seem to be more open to these types of films than they used to. Even a movie as uncommercial as Watchmen made around 180 million dollars worldwide. The Spirit's main reason for flopping was probably because it was a B) movie, and the marketing made it look like such (this sounds logical in my head, at least! :tdown: ). They may all be slightly dated characters, but it's all a question on how you update them.

I'm mostly more excited about non-superhero comic book adaptations (with the exception of The Phantom, "The Ghost Who Walks"), but I am really looking forward to seeing a Cap America movie. At least it sounds like they're trying something new with it, and I loved director Joe Johnston's take on The Rocketeer.

Tintin too, I think can be a big hit if it is as good as I hope it will be. They have some excellent source material than can make a great film that will appeal to families, much like Indiana Jones.

Edited by The Ghost Who Walks, 18 September 2009 - 11:13 AM.

#47 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

One thing that I think will help sell the film, though, is the fact that they're making it a WWII period piece, basically just lifting the first few issues of the comics, taking some more recent issues that show Cap fighting with the 101st, adapting them a bit to appeal more to modern audiences, and putting it to film. Sure it's not going to draw in a lot of people who ordinarily wouldn't go, but I think it would probably draw in a few more people than if it were something like Cap vs Red Skull in Manhattan.

Thing is, I think the perfect time for doing Cap has come and gone without them moving in. Development hell hasn't been tender to the project and it will be quite a stretch to get many people beyond the die-hard fanbase interested now. I wish them well, but I feel superhero flicks have pretty much closed the market at the moment, most of the interesting characters already there and running. A newcomer, and a not too famous one outside of the US at that, will have a hard time, regardless of the initial quality of the project (shame, but can't be helped right now).

I don't think a costumed hero's popularity has much to do with his/her potential for success in a movie. Nobody knew or cared who Blade was, and that film spawned two sequels, a TV-series, and a planned spin-off. Same goes for Hellboy and even Iron Man. Even panned movies such as The Punisher and Daredevil did pretty good business.

You avoid looking at "political" reasons, but I should add that I feel a movie called Captain America has a better shot at succeeding in Europe and other parts of the world now that a certain Mr. Bush is back in Texas...

I think the planned reboots of the Phantom (a planned big budget movie and an upcoming, and surprisingly expensive, SyFy TV-series) and the Shadow (a Sam Raimi-produced project) also has better shots at success than their previous incarnations. People just seem to be more open to these types of films than they used to. Even a movie as uncommercial as Watchmen made around 180 million dollars worldwide. The Spirit's main reason for flopping was probably because it was a B) movie, and the marketing made it look like such (this sounds logical in my head, at least! :tdown: ).

I'm mostly more excited about non-superhero comic book adaptations (with the exception of The Phantom, "The Ghost Who Walks"), but I am really looking forward to seeing a Cap America movie. At least it sounds like they're trying something new with it, and I loved director Joe Johnston's take on The Rocketeer.

Tintin too, I think can be a big hit if it is as good as I hope it will be. They have some excellent source material than can make a great film that will appeal to families, much like Indiana Jones.

Some very good points there. I'll come to them in a bit.

#48 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

the problem is not so much that bond 23 is coming out in 2011 but that it's coming out november 2011. Bond has no real competition in summer 2011. and before people scream about spiderman Batman etc. Batman is not a done deal by anyone's standards Spider man 3 left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and Captian ameirca Thor etc are untested waters for marvel. Is it wrong for me to be a little impatinet after all Daniel Craig is my faourite bond.

Don't be so naieve. Spider-Man 3 was garbage but it made over $800million in a couple of months. Sony have already hired the writer for spider-man 4 to pen 5 and 6 besides, even if spider-man 4 turns out as bad as spider-man 3, it will still make more money than Bond regardless. As for the other marvel comic book movies, the talent involved isn't to be snubbed at. Also, the fact that these characters havn't appeared on the big screen before also adds gives novelty value and if we're to talk about films leaving a bad taste, QoS didn't exactly leave audiences as a whole clamoring for more. To say Bond 23 has no competition for the summer of 2011 is just blind optimism. Don't kid yourself.

#49 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

Very good point! Believe it or not, although I knew Blade first hand from 'Tomb Of Dracula' from the mid-seventies, I actually didn't realize it was the guy with the M65 field coat clone and crossed belts for his wooden knives. With Hellboy I daresay while most audiences realise it's a comic character, most of them still wouldn't care much for the originals, their tone and graphics perhaps just that little bit on the far side of 'enjoyable creepy'.

Goes without saying, since Obama is in charge a film called 'The First Avenger: Captain America' stands a much better chance of getting halfway friendly critics. Still, I think the 'time-warp' angle with Cap coming from the 40's directly into the WOT and all that entailed (I refrain here from the term 'hysteria') would have made a particularly interesting contrast.

Yet, it's entertainment we're talking here, and that, more often than not, isn't a good platform for serious political content. I'm actually undecided, but a Cap film of, say 2006, picking up on those issues, may actually have fared better outside the States; certainly not what a lucrative enterprise would aim for.

I think the planned reboots of the Phantom (a planned big budget movie and an upcoming, and surprisingly expensive, SyFy TV-series) and the Shadow (a Sam Raimi-produced project) also has better shots at success than their previous incarnations.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them, very much so! Both those previous attempts have suffered (I think) from people regarding them as small-time Indiana Jones-wannabees. Lots of potential, zest, suspense and adventure, but unfortunately after Spielberg let his hero off the leash. I sometimes wondered what would have happened had Lucas/Spielberg grabbed The Phantom instead of creating their own character.

People just seem to be more open to these types of films than they used to. Even a movie as uncommercial as Watchmen made around 180 million dollars worldwide. The Spirit's main reason for flopping was probably because it was a B) movie, and the marketing made it look like such (this sounds logical in my head, at least! :tdown: ). They may all be slightly dated characters, but it's all a question on how you update them.

With you on that, except that I cannot judge the Spirit film as I haven't seen it as yet. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the question of whether the market stays friendly to superhero flicks.

#50 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

Good point, but I would say that some of those had more going for them, for the general public, than Captain America. Blade certainly had much more of a novel appeal; he's a good "vampire" who goes around fighting bad vampires, and the first film came out when we weren't being deluged with vampires in films or on TV so that perhaps also gave it a certain novelty. Hellboy is quite an unusual concept, at least for a film. Daredevil has the "blind lawyer" gimmick, and I think it helped that the film was released at the peak of Affleck's teen girl knicker wetting prowess. I doubt Captain America seems like anything particularly special to most of the general public; he's just another superhero with his only gimmick being unashamed patriotism. Granted, Iron Man is just a high-tech Batman and that caught on, so maybe Captain America can catch on too, but somehow I just feel that a CA movie will do the kind of lackluster business where it makes back its money, but leaves everyone sheepish about the idea of a follow on, a la Superman Returns and both Hulk movies.

This has occurred to me, and of course it's possible that within the next two years the level of antipathy towards Americans in Europe and elsewhere will have dissipated to the point where it's insignificant. But it isn't just Bush and Bush alone many outside America have taken exception to, and it remains to be seen whether the new administration can really turn things around. I think a lot of people outside the US are starting to get the idea that things aren't going to (and perhaps can't) be all that different under this new administration... but it's probably best to leave this matter here.

And of course it's not as if non-American audiences haven't often groaned at over the top patiotism in movies long before the Bush era. It's one thing getting them to see a First Blood Part II ot an Independence Day which might be read as jingoistic by people after they've seen it, but a superhero with a red, white and blue stars and stripes costume? I suspect that's going to be a turn-off for many people before they even see the film.

#51 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

CA performing like superman returns? I doubt that. Superman Returns had no real vision to it. Singer just wanted to retcon a whole bunch of stuff and bring superman to this century all the while adding nothing new other than giving us superman jr. That being said, there are no plans at the moment for a new superman film, which is a shame because Millar has an awesome script he wants to submit but Warner are acting like B).

Anyway, with Marvel, they at least have a plan. By that, they're working towards expanding the marvel universe by creating a unch of individual movies which will culminate in a combined avengers movie. The epilogues of ironman and the incredible hulk are a cinematic testament to this.

With Cap, filming the majority of the movie as a period piece is the way to go and is what will happen. I can understand people's scepticism but I think cap movie will surprise a lot of people. Anyone who's read the Ultimate Avengers comics and watched the first cartoon at least should hae an idea as to the direction the cap movie wil head.

#52 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

It all depends on how good the movie is. As far as public awareness, I would rank Captain America maybe just above Iron Man. Iron Man did well because the buzz was good on the movie. If the buzz is good on Captain America, it will do well. If it is bad, if won't.

#53 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

CA performing like superman returns? I doubt that.

Superman Returns actually grossed just under $400 million worldwide including $200million in the US. I think that would actually be considered a good gross for a CA movie. Returns is only considered a flop because it had huge production and marketing budgets, and a lot of money had been flushed down the toilet pre-production trying to develop a new Superman movie for about a decade.

#54 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

Try Jason Bourne.

#55 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

With BOND 23, BOURNE 4, RAMBO V: THE SAVAGE HUNT and TINTIN all likely to be released in 2011, muggins here is geeking out. B)

#56 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

and possibly Batman 3, Green Lantern, Taken 2,The Hobbitt...it's gonna be a huge year for box office.

and Thor should rock.I love Ken Branagh.

#57 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

With BOND 23, BOURNE 4, RAMBO V: THE SAVAGE HUNT and TINTIN all likely to be released in 2011, muggins here is geeking out. B)

You and me both (apart from Tintin).

#58 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Also, the fact that these characters

I believe you mean character. Captain America once graced the big screen, although very briefly, played by Matthew Salinger (son of JD Salinger). It was a very low-budget, campy, OTT film that Marvel wound up pulling pretty quickly after they put it out and about two years later they put it out on VHS, but it's nice to watch nonetheless.

Still, I think the 'time-warp' angle with Cap coming from the 40's directly into the WOT and all that entailed (I refrain here from the term 'hysteria') would have made a particularly interesting contrast.

That will likely come with The Avengers , which rumor has it will introduce Cap much as he was introduced to the Avengers in the comics (the deleted opening of the second Hulk film supports this theory)

he's just another superhero with his only gimmick being unashamed patriotism

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Go. On. Fanboy. Rant.

#59 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

I must admit even though it was a blatantly shoddy film in many ways, I sort of enjoyed it too, especially his "pull over" trick. And the opening scene was pretty disturbing for a PG film.

#60 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hey Tybre, I'ma let you finish but I know of the early Cap film along with the early fantastic 4 film but imo they don't realy count and I refuse to acknowledge their epic lameness because they were some of the worst films made of all time. Of all time! B)