15 replies to this topic

#1 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Just saw The Living Daylights again, and when Bond tries to infiltrate Whitaker's villa it looks like it happens at night but just before he takes on that last guard we can clearly see the sun shining in the background. Why?

#2 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

Just saw The Living Daylights again, and when Bond tries to infiltrate Whitaker's villa it looks like it happens at night but just before he takes on that last guard we can clearly see the sun shining in the background. Why?

I'm going to go ahead and guess they were filming day-for-night and it was supposed to be dusk.

#3 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I'm going to go ahead and guess they were filming day-for-night and it was supposed to be dusk.

The Living Dusklights?

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

Creative and/or intellectual laziness. The scene was set at night, but it was filmed during the day. I've never understood why they couldn't film that sequence from a different angle. It totally distracts from the scene and is infuriating in an otherwise excellent film.

I believe that was Armand Hammer's house they used in Tangier.

I see a lot of excuses, probably valid, about some of the things you see in the earlier films -- rear projection for instance -- that had to do with budget constraints and producers not thinking fans would watch them over and over and scrutinize them in the future.

By 1987, you'd think they would have been a little more creative and not so amateurish. I love TLD, but it's little things like this that make you look at the emerging series such as Die Hard that didn't resort to cheapness like that with more respect and see where Bond was losing ground in the genre and with audiences.

#5 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

I imagine it was at 5 or 6 in the morning.

#6 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

My money's on a dusk raid.

#7 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:36 AM

I always got the impression that it was early morning in that scene.
Say around 5-6am

#8 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

It's got to be a dusk/night raid because Brad Whitaker is playing war games in his fun room. I doubt he'd be up and at 'em in the early morning hours playing toy soldiers.

#9 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

It's got to be a dusk/night raid because Brad Whitaker is playing war games in his fun room. I doubt he'd be up and at 'em in the early morning hours playing toy soldiers.

The man has dummies of himself in the entrance hall of his villa dressed as military dictators through the ages and passes the time buying vintage cellos at auctions..I reckon that playing toy soldiers in the early hours would be mild in comparison..

#10 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Early morning makes sense - death for breakfast.

#11 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Magic Hour............ definitely during the early hours of the morning. Something about that finale I was never happy with the way Dalton was saved by Pushkin.

#12 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

I don't think the script explicitly states when Bond entered Whitaker's compound. However, two things are clear: #1 he's going in under cover of darkness and #2 the film crew shot the scene during the height of the mid-day sun. I know #2 to be a fact because I videotaped ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA entertainment and movie critic Joel Siegel's on-set report back in October of 1986. In fact, I think ABC did an entire week of reports from Tangier and Quarzazate. They showed all kinds of footage of the compound being used...they showed the motorcyle trick where Bond swings down onto the back of a passing fruit/vegetable vendor (and I kept wondering throughout the film where that sequence went, not knowing at the time that it had been completely cut from the final print)...Dalton and D'abo filming their escape from the Russian airbase...Cubby talking about how the audience can tell if you're 'standing behind a palm tree in Hollywood, or really in Quarzazate'....D'abo doing publicity photos and talking about how windy it was (and apparently quite chilly)...

Its availble on youtube here

#13 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

I had to go to school before the reports would air, so I'd videotape them and come home later in the day and watch them. That was before the Internet.

And when the internet was quite young. I remember doing that for a considerable amount of time. In fact up until the summer after the advent of Youtube. I miss those days.

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:56 AM

This is news to me! I never even realized the scene was shot during the day, lol.

#15 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

I know it wasn't filmed around that time i'm just saying from the looks of the scene i'd say it was supposed be around 5-6 am when it happened.

#16 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

I know it wasn't filmed around that time i'm just saying from the looks of the scene i'd say it was supposed be around 5-6 am when it happened.

I'd always thought it was more like 3-ish *shrug*