8 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:25 AM

I visited Warner Bros. Movie World on the Gold Coast yesterday and in the Movie Memorabilia store they have the advance poster for A View To A Kill [the one with Bond on the Eiffel Tower and May Day parachuting beside him] for sale for, wait for it, $453. :eek:

I know it's a collector's item and it's a beautiful poster, but it wasn't even mint. Since it was an original it had been creased and folded.

Well worth checking out if you're there.

[dark]

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 07:09 AM

Ha! You know when I came back from Queensland, it was the first thing I posted on teh boards about. I'd never seen it before myself so I was quite surprised when I saw it there!

#3 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:14 AM

It's a nice poster, but what about this one I just saw on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=1572247020

I didn't even know they ever had actually printed it (I thought it was just a concept...) and compared to the price of the Eiffel poster it doesn't seem to be too expensive...

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:28 AM

This particular poster was highlighted in zencat's excellent A VIEW TO A KILL - Evolution of an ad campaign thread.

#5 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:32 AM

$453???, absolutley ridiculous
i know everything in that place is ridiculously expensive, but that is pushing it way to far.
off the topic a bit, i wish movieworld would get that licence to thrill ride that was created a while ago. id love to go on it.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:37 AM

Fox Studios Sydney had a Licence to Thrill ride when I was there in January last year; I presume it's still there.

How long ago where you up here in Queensland, Daniel?

I have a feeling that poster won't be going anywhere in a hurry. I doubt too many people bring over $450 with them, on top of the $50 admission and extra money for food [my burger, fries and a Coke set me back $10!] anyway.

That said, the poster is truly beautiful - - the amount of detail, particularly when you look at it up close is brilliant. I also love the final A View To A Kill poster. Pity we don't get that sort of effort put into the posters these days...

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:44 AM

I concur, very sad. And it is amazing to see it in the flesh. In fact, I was so impressed I took a photo of it :)

I was up there in January, but I have a feeling that poster has been sitting there since the place opened, and will continue to do so. It's simply not worth AU$450 in my opinion. You could probably get the same thing and same quality for aobut half the price.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:51 AM

I have both posters, the White tux one is more difficult to obtain and maybe worth US$200, the Eifel Tower should be more easy to obtain - I have seen it floating around various shops and movie fairs in London for US$140.

The real problem find for the Moore era is the Gg limited release Villains artwork - I did pay a chunk of change for that one!

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:54 AM

The huge creases down the thing aren't a big selling point either.

It would only appeal to hard-core Bond fans like ourselves and even then many wouldn't pay that much for an A View To A Kill poster [not me - - I love that film :)].

[dark]