More Young Bond on the way?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

Is it reading too much into the fact that Charlie said "Bond books" and not specifically "Young Bond books" ? Maybe.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

I want Mr. Higson to write about Bond's experiences at Fettes and in WWII!

#4 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

I think the crucial line is 'I’d like to write more Bond books, it’s just a question of juggling time.'

I'm afraid his current projects will keep Higson occupied for a number of years, two to three at the very least. And IFP will most likely want a deal that secures them Higson's undivided attention for a possible series of (at least) two books; maybe even as much as another five. And frankly, I think it will be some time until Higson again has that kind of gap in his schedule. Don't see that happen any time soon.

#5 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

Name who you like, I still think he is the best man for writing adult Bond.

Your right Trident, looks like he is keeping busy. Still not long now till the Danger Society B)

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

I'd like you to write more Bond books too, Charlie! B)

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Higson has more than proven his worth with Young Bond. He would do a fantastic adult Bond novel. Hopefully he gets that chance sometime in the future.

#8 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Higson has more than proven his worth with Young Bond. He would do a fantastic adult Bond novel. Hopefully he gets that chance sometime in the future.

I really think this will be just as Higson stated, a question of when rather than if. What direction a new Higson Bond (series) will take? That would seem quite settled after BRC, as Bond has reached a point in his character arch that would inevitably lead to 'adult' adventure.

I suppose Higson could be free right after his current horror series is done, naturally depending on the specifics his contract mentions regarding a possible follow-up. And I also suppose IFP would not just want Higson for a single book, so he'd have to be relatively 'free' for a considerable time, two to three years or perhaps even longer, depending on their plans.

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

I've said it before, but I see Charlie returning in a couple of years' time to pen (speculation here) a trilogy of books set in the years after By Royal Command. I don't see him taking on another five-book commitment but a trilogy would be a nice, solid way to wrap up his time with Bond.

#10 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Five books would be a huge deal, taking enormous time and energy to complete. As much in demand as Higson is right at the moment I also have difficulty seeing such a long commitment. It would seem obvious on the other hand that IFP doesn't want just a single entry, as I suspect one book Higson would be able to stuff into his appointment calendar (and perhaps even has already a rough outline in the back of his head?).

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

I still haven't got around to reading By Royal Command yet. I love what he's done with Young Bond though. I'm really looking forward to see what he'll bring us in the future.

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

I still haven't got around to reading By Royal Command yet.

See that you do. It's one of the best Bond books out there. A damn sight better than Devil May Care that's for sure.

#13 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, BRC was just marvelous. Couldn't put it down, which has always been the case with the all the YB books in the series.

#14 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

I would say Charlie Higson has written the best Bond books since Fleming. No one has just got it like Higson did with Young Bond.

Mharkin you must read By Royal Command right now. Stop what you are doing and read it. Now. :tdown: Its blomin good B)

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 31 August 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Is it reading too much into the fact that Charlie said "Bond books" and not specifically "Young Bond books" ? Maybe.

I certainly hope not. B)

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

It's possible Charlie has finished the second book in his horror series and is writing the third now (or is soon to start). Which frees him up next year year to write a Bond for a 2011 release. Could work.

He'll be doing a lot of interviews for The Enemy. Let's listen carefully and see if he reveals where he's at in the writing process.

#17 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

It's possible Charlie has finished the second book in his horror series and is writing the third now (or is soon to start). Which frees him up next year year to write a Bond for a 2011 release. Could work.

Could work. If he's already through with number two. And if publishers don't want a lot of changes; not sure about the horror angle in these 'young adult' books.

But what about this other project with BBC tv? Won't that interfere with any new commitments? I would have thought an announcement re Bond would have come once Higson has mastered the major part of his original series. Instead now this new project has turned up. Suggests a tight schedule to me.

In fact, we already could have an announcement regardless. If Higson and IFP had agreed on a deal already, nothing would stop them from releasing the good news right now.

'Charlie Higson will come back to the literary Bond series in late 2012/13/14/whatever penning a series of x novels for IFP concerning the adventures of Ian Fleming's James Bond during the years 1939 to 1948.'

Or something similar like that. No reason why they couldn't announce four or even five years in advance. Every six months the press could be fed homoeopathic scraps of information, gradually building up the hype to the first book. It worked with YB, it would doubtlessly work again.

That they don't seem to have something substantial at the moment suggests to me that they really haven't found a slot to fit the next Bond into Higson's timetable.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

If Charlie can handle the BBC series and The Enemy books (and it appears he has), he can handle the BBC series and YB books. And, remember, there was the year he delivered two YB books (DOD and HG). The man works.

#19 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

No doubt, he's a work horse.

Another reason could be that 'The Enemy' series is taking off hugely (deservedly so, and I keep my fingers crossed for Charlie!!!) and Higson has an option to pen further entries. That's what I would have fixed in the contract if I were his publisher. He's an outstanding writer and the chance to have him work longer on an original series I wouldn't let pass.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

The Enemy could also easily spin off to a movie or TV series. It certainly wouldn't face the obstacles that YB faces in this regard. A very deft and, I'm sure, lucrative move to do this original series between Bonds (if he is indeed "between").

#21 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hi, the "Harry Enfield Reads Page From New Young Bond" thread link directed me to here.

My 2 cents worth:

They've either got the year wrong and it's the next part of The Enemy series coming out next year OR it's totally legit.

I would have thought, that he would finish The Enemy series before working on Young Bond series 2.
Maybe he's gonna do a Horowitz and release something different each year?

The assumptions are endless !!!

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

Well, Peaceful, it turns out the paper got their facts wrong. What was read was from a new Enemy novel (link)

I think a Young Bond return in 2011 is too much to hope for. Earliest would be 2012, but I expect that is contingent on Charlie's other projects and commitments. I fear we are in for at least a year of "wait and see."

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

IF Young Bond were to return...

Next Young Bond would be set in Scotland, include golf

Hey, I'll cling to any scrap.

#24 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Both snippets sound entirely plausible. Bring on 2012(?)!

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Sounds good to me. Bring it on!

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:10 AM

I like the sound of it. Golf is Bond’s sport. Not tennis, as Faulks would have us believe.

#27 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

As long as Charlie doesn't introduce a junior "Goldfinger" into a golf game, some odious nouveau Fettes bully.

Replicating Fleming THAT closely never works viz Benson's Majong game in Zero Minus Ten and his golf match in High Time to Kill.

Hopefully, Charlie would realise that.

#28 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

As long as Charlie doesn't introduce a junior "Goldfinger" into a golf game, some odious nouveau Fettes bully.

Replicating Fleming THAT closely never works viz Benson's Majong game in Zero Minus Ten and his golf match in High Time to Kill.

I don't think there is a considerable danger of that happening. The truth of it is of course that, somewhere along the line, golf must be tackled in some form. While it's not mentioned too often in the adult Bond adventures, it's still evident that Bond is a fairly good player and YB would soon have to pick up the game. GF mentions a time in Bond's teens when he played two rounds of golf per day every day of the week at St Marks on a handicap of six. His teacher Blacking wanted to train him for the Amateur classes, Bond apparently having the necessary talent for it. So YB would have to discover the game and be fairly immersed into it. As a backdrop, I can see that working perfectly well.

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

I think we're way past having to worry about whether Charlie Higson understands how to write a Bond novel.

#30 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

I think we're way past having to worry about whether Charlie Higson understands how to write a Bond novel.

He certainly knows how to write a YOUNG Bond novel.

As for a "Bond" novel - I for one would love to find out. B)