#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Bummer.

Disappointing news for collectors today. Puffin has confirmed that they will not be releasing a By Royal Command Limited Collectors Edition this year. LINK

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

Zencat as far as book collecting goes that is a big bummer! Quite upset about this one. I was looking forward to BRC in limited edition to complete the collection. Surley they will put it out somewhen?

#3 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

Do you know what this does not surprise me. Either it is the ongoing recession or Young Bond has not caught the imagination of the collectors market but the last couple of limited editions you could find unsold in shops months after they went on sale. Also you can't give away secondary copies of Young Bond books on ebay. People are just not interested. In one respect I think it is a good thing. Making something a collectors edition purely by force of marketing something as such is now maybe thankfully over. Then maybe us fans won't feel so exploited.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Zencat as far as book collecting goes that is a big bummer! Quite upset about this one. I was looking forward to BRC in limited edition to complete the collection. Surley they will put it out somewhen?

They might put it out next year. It's all about the recession. Retailers are cutting back on specials, etc.

#5 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Just checked the link you posted from you website Zencat. Good news all hope is not lost. I couldnt check it at -ahem- work. I have faith it will be out next year.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Damn. I was all set to do my bit to prop up the economy by parting with 25 quid for this book.

Here's hoping we see a release next year.

#7 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

Damn. I was all set to do my bit to prop up the economy by parting with 25 quid for this book.

Here's hoping we see a release next year.

Ditto. I really hope they continue these editions.

Keeping my fingers crossed for next year.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

I'm hoping we at least get one next year. These limited editions look great together as a set.

#9 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

Come on Puffin, Only one more book to go.

#10 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

The realist in me agrees with the points made both by Zen and MarkA.

The cynic in me wonders, however, if Puffin aren't preparing to give us a royal (!) shafting by only offering BRC as a boxed, Limited Edition as part of a set with the first four Higson's...

B)

#11 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

Do you know what this does not surprise me. Either it is the ongoing recession or Young Bond has not caught the imagination of the collectors market but the last couple of limited editions you could find unsold in shops months after they went on sale.

Your right there MarkA. I was seeing copies of Double or Die for months if not over a year still in some Waterstones. I think Silverfin and Bloodfever were the hot cookies. I payed a handsome price for my two. You cant get them cheap, but the rest are easy to get your hands on at a good price. Hurracaine Gold is still on Waterstones website around the £13 mark.

All in all Puffin have done a brilliant job with the Young Bond series. Great covers on all editions. (Hurraciane Gold might even be my favorite book cover of all time!)