32 replies to this topic

#31 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:30 AM

Hans de Vries is also in the Sean Connery western Shalako along with Brigitte Bardot and Honor Blackman.

Meanwhile, John Richardson was in She with Ursula Andress and Christopher Lee.

Of the non-winning candidates, I'm not sure who I would have picked second after Lazenby. De Vries and Robert Campbell look the most appropriate, but de Vries has sunken eyes and with Campbell something seems to be not quite right but I can't quite place what it is. Regardless, he doesn't have any experience apparently.

Anthony Rogers would have been my fourth choice. In the group picture he looks okay, but in his solo picture, he doesn't have quite the same look. He looks to me like he would have followed in the Roger Moore vein rather than as a physical 007.

As for Richardson, he has the most acting experience of the group, but he just doesn't look the part to me (or very physical) and as a result would have been my last choice.

And although Lazenby didn't have the acting experience, he definitely has the look and he certainly had the attitude (his fighting style didn't hurt either as Harry Saltzman and Yuri Borienko could attest). Ultimately, the right man got the job regardless of however long his tenure lasted.

#32 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted these, but check out these photos from a 1968 Life Magazine spread about the search for the new Bond.

http://images.google...g...en&safe=off

I love that one pic of Laz walking down a street in swinging London with a "bird" on his arm. Oh to freeze that moment in time.

Great pics! Thank you!!!

#33 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

I love that one pic of Laz walking down a street in swinging London with a "bird" on his arm. Oh to freeze that moment in time.

i'm with you on that one. it's so adorable! kinda reminds me of gatsby and daisy or othello and desdemona.