33 replies to this topic

#31 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

For what it's worth, Mills actually photographed much of Return of the Jedi after Hume quit the picture.

Wow, didn't know that, but it makes so much sense. I'm betting Hume did the Jabba the Hut stuff and the finale Darth / Luke battle (which has marvellous tracking shots).

Whereas Mills perhaps gave us Endor and the Ewocks looking like Star Wars the tv show.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mills says in his autobiography that due to some person he chooses not to name, he himself got fired from the film.

Wow, looks like Bond isn't the only fandom beset by loads of misinformation.

#32 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Well, if it's misinformation, it's been repeated by many sources, including Hume's obituary:

http://www.theguardi...n-hume-obituary

In 1983, Hume was given the job of DP on the Star Wars film Return of the Jedi, although he fell out with the producers when he protested about what he felt was their mistreatment of the director Richard Marquand and was replaced by his assistant Alec Mills.

Edited by Rufus Ffolkes, 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#33 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Yep it's misinformation alright. Mills says in his autobiography that after an exchange of words with the unnamed person, he was not invited to join the American portion of the shoot. He also writes, "Recently I read somewhere online that Alan also had a falling out with the same person with whom I had the problem, which was apparently due to the poor treatment of the director Richard Marquand; after that Alan was allegedly transferred to another unit while [I] took over as cinematographer. I do not know where this came from but obviously it was untrue as that idiot had got rid of me earlier on."

#34 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

Sounds as though Hume didn't have the greatest experience on Jedi: