Bond needs new technology!

21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Wint

Mr. Wint

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:56 AM

Keep to Cubby Broccoli's concept of Bond...the movies are supposed to be "5 minutes ahead of the present time". That's exactly what's missing in the Craig Bonds. They are very good, but lack that special "umph" that made Bond Bond.

For example....can you see this kinda vehicle in Bond 23? .... That'll be "satisfying"!

http://www.diseno-ar...adventurer.html

#2 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

How would a villain's plan be helped by a fancy tractor trailer? Supermarket deliveries driven in bad weather maybe?

The tech I could take or leave. Fleming's Bond didn't really need it, he found much of it an encumbrance. Sure the movie's make the gee-wiz factor to great effect, but since they are going real world now (or close to it) why not keep the fantastical stuff away for a while.

That's just my opinion though.

#3 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:29 AM

Personally I say the series is better off without that kind of stuff. And anyway, five minutes ahead is fine, but if the first 20 films taught us anything, it's that five minutes will always invariably lead to five decades.

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

I don't care if Q returns, it's not really important who gives Bond the technology, it's that he has it. I don't think Bond needs new technology, but the fan in me would probably like to see him use some.

#5 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

The thing is: what do you want to tell with this device? Is it a weapon? Is it a bird? Is it Superman's camper? The 'new' technology is just that: new and technology. It doesn't tell a story itself. Nor does any of the brand follies that get's suggested, next car, next gun, next watch, next week on '24'. They are only details that seldom are essential for the plots. And the plots of Craig's two films up to now simply didn't need this kind of futuristic devices (although, one might argue the hydrogen hotel and vehicles in QOS are at least twenty minutes into the future), and I'm glad they didn't. If you can think of a story that needs that truck (or something like it), then use it. If.

#6 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

How would a villain's plan be helped by a fancy tractor trailer? Supermarket deliveries driven in bad weather maybe?

Ha, ha! That was good! B)

Anyway, I think that we're in a point where audiences have seen A LOT of films with fancy gadgets, technoogy, effects. As a result anything that Bond will do is not going to bring "WOW" in a theatre! Gadgets where good in the 60's and 70's becasue there wasn't anything like them!

That's why I think that we're going backwards nowadays! People want the old spy movies again! With good atmosphere, strange plot and not fancy technology! There's where producers must focus!

#7 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Keep to Cubby Broccoli's concept of Bond...the movies are supposed to be "5 minutes ahead of the present time". That's exactly what's missing in the Craig Bonds. They are very good, but lack that special "umph" that made Bond Bond.

For example....can you see this kinda vehicle in Bond 23? .... That'll be "satisfying"!

The films have had new producers for a decade and a half. They don't need to keep to Cubby Broccoli's Bond template because, despite critical and commercial success, some fans are still emotionally invested in the Bond films they saw years ago when they were 12.

When every movie uses gadgets with the frequency (look at the 'realistic' DARK KNIGHT for example)they started appearing in the franchise they aren't really special anymore. We had near 20 films with overuse of increasingly borderline sci-fi toys and after just two films 9CR and QOS) I personally can go on longer without their return.

#8 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

You see, why can't everyone except that Bond is moving on? Everyone want this to be traditional or this and that? Why can't we come up with new ideas??? That truck looks very cool!

#9 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

of course super market deliveries after all

"Ice Cream is the world's most prescious resource we need to control as much of it as we can"

#10 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

The trouble with striving to be five minutes in the future is that one very quickly becomes stuck ten minutes in the past. It's always better to classic than trendy, surely? And in an age when so many of us have iPhones and the like, who's really impressed by movie gadgets anymore?

#11 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Was anyone else unfortunate enough to have seen an episode of 'Highwayman' in the late 80s? Sam J. Jones and Jacko ("Energizer, oy!") drove trucks just like that one. Jones' contained a helicopter - the cab was the cockpit.

Sure, that would have made a good Quantum assault vehicle, if it hadn't already been done. Besides, I doubt Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are surfing the fan forums looking for ideas.

Back in 1976 I thought the German double-decker, tandem-bodied Globus-Reisen would make a great vehicle for a disaster story (not Bond). A couple of months later a movie called The Big Bus appeared, which did one better - it was a disaster spoof, like Airplane!

(I also saw the same print ad for Canadian Club that inspired the ski jump in TSWLM. Eon did a much better job with it than I did in the story I wrote six months earlier.)

#12 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think there is a place for fancy technology in Bond.

That truck is not it. But something is.

I also don't think it needs a formal introduction via a Q-character. It can just 'appear', like the defibrillator did in CR.

#13 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Technology in Bond doesn't have to be anything superfantastical, it just has to be practical, especially for Craig's Bond. I can't imagine craig using glass-shattering rings but I can see him using devices to help him break into vehicles or bypass security codes and you know, generally practical stuff. That is what is needed; gadgets that serve a purpose and not just look futuristically cool.

Edited by double o ego, 28 July 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#14 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'd like to see Craig's Bond make his own gadgets, a la Michael Westen.

#15 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Or MacGyver...

#16 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

I get it, we have a crossover film, half Bond, half Ice Road Truckers. Bond has to drive an all terrain truck to Alaska or Quantum ... ok, I'm out of steam, gadgets suck, Bond's about kicking B)

#17 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Or MacGyver...

I love Macgyver.

I have nothing else to add except I love macgyver he's in my top 5 favourite fiticous characters along with 007, Batman, The Highlander (Connor or Duncan) and John Mclaine.

#18 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

The trouble with striving to be five minutes in the future is that one very quickly becomes stuck ten minutes in the past. It's always better to classic than trendy, surely? And in an age when so many of us have iPhones and the like, who's really impressed by movie gadgets anymore?

thank you!!

#19 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

I think there's a lack of imagination, one can always bring a wow factor in any day and age. Iphones are nothing, there's other fields of wonder aside from communication.

#20 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

You're a bit misguided, mate; Bond isn't all about the gadgets. B)

#21 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

You're a bit misguided, mate; Bond isn't all about the gadgets. B)

#22 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

In FRWL Bond had a car phone in his bentley; now everyone has one.

In CR Bond had a defibrilator, how soon before that technolgy catches on??

In QOS Bond has a camera that focuses in on faces, and (wait for it) the camera could also be used as a telephone.
Sci Fi or what????