46 replies to this topic

#31 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Waitaminute so Gert Frobe only had a voice coach and it was really his voice?

No. Gert Frobe was dubbed by Michael Collins.

#32 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

It's strange to observe that James Bond himself, in the form of George Lazenby, was dubbed for parts of OHMSS, so that he could perform the accent of Hilary Bray.

#33 batmatt92

batmatt92

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

^ Yeah, wasn't he dubbed by the actor who played the real Sir Hillary in the film?

By the way, this is my first post! I joined 3 years ago and then kinda forgot about it. B)

Edited by batmatt92, 16 December 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#34 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

Well then, welcome... three years later!

#35 batmatt92

batmatt92

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

Thank you! B)

#36 Brannigan

Brannigan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

If anyone can sit through it, you can hear Ursala's original voice in the 1963 Elvis Presley movie, Fun In Acapulco.

#37 Genuine Felix Leiter

Genuine Felix Leiter

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

If anyone can sit through it, you can hear Ursala's original voice in the 1963 Elvis Presley movie, Fun In Acapulco.

Does she really sound like a Dutch comic?

#38 Brannigan

Brannigan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:49 AM

Actually if this is her real voice, she sounds kinda hot. I tend to think it is, because she does sound European and she plays a European, so why would they dub her voice?

Edited by Brannigan, 29 December 2009 - 05:51 AM.

#39 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

For the hell of it, I guess... and because Nikki van der Zyl would be out of a job, otherwise.

#40 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

From Nikki’s website:

FILM TITLE Year Notes
Dr. No – 1962 – Revoiced Ursula Andress and all female voices, except Moneypenny and a Chinese girl.
From Russia with Love – 1963 – Revoiced Eunice Gayson. (I was almost given the leading role.)
Goldfinger – 1964 – Revoiced Shirley Eaton. Voice coach to Gert Frobe and on set with him.
Live and Let Die – 1973 – Revoiced Jane Seymour (part).
Man With the Golden Gun – 1974 – Revoiced various.
Moonraker – 1979 – Revoiced various
On Her Majesty's Secret Service – 1969 – Revoiced various
Thunderball – 1965 – Revoiced Claudine Auger
You Only Live Twice – 1967 – Revoiced Kissy, the girl Bond marries in the film.

Most interesting for me is she partially dubbed Jane Seymour.

I'm sure that her dubbing for Jane Seymour was only post-filming ADR to clean up some phrases that were garbled, and Jane Seymour probably wasn't available to do it on the day she was asked. Or something. That's 100% speculation on my part. And I'm willing to wager that it was during the scene in which she slaps Bond with her purse outside the plane. Which is, again, 100% speculation on my part.

#41 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

On the point of Gert Frobe's dubbing; I understood he spoke no English, or very little.
The reason he needed a voice coach on set was to enable him to annunciate properly, to speak phonetically (or whatever they call it) so that when the dubbing was done it at least looked like he was speaking the lines.
All in all I think Frobe's dubbing is one of the best in the series. I hardly notice it. But a lot of the examples talked about here are quite obvious, certainly on second or third viewing.

Incidently I adore Andress' accent, which I find really sexy, but I think B & S just found it too thick; they had similar problems with Bianchi and Auger. I never understood why Shirley Eaton was dubbed, she was a fairly well established star (like Honor Blackmanin the same movie) and I actually think it demeaned her a little to do it. Although I guess a lot of people didn't notice at the time,it may well have effected her career in the '60s as she everyone suddenly expected her to sound like Nikki Van Der Zyl.

#42 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

They should bring back dubbing. Would have worked well for Eva Greene, Mads Mickelson, Arterton, and Medrano.

#43 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

Would have worked well for Eva Green.

Really? I think she has a wonderful voice; she certainly put on a convincing English accent for the part.

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

Really? I think she has a wonderful voice; she certainly put on a convincing English accent for the part.

Not convincing enough, and wooden in certain parts.

#45 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

I think her acting prowess (turning so many crap lines into gold) overcomes her problems (however few they may be) with the accent.

#46 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:10 AM

I think her acting prowess (turning so many crap lines into gold) overcomes her problems (however few they may be) with the accent.

I thought she was great. There were a few times when I couldn't quite understand her on the train with Bond, but other than that, her husky voice certainly worked for me. She wasn't "wooden" - her character was tightly wound and guarded. And in comparison to other Bond girls (I love TSWLM, but wooden comes to mind when I think of Barbara Bach in her role - emote, dammit!), Eva Green's performance was leagues ahead.

#47 Gt Munn

Gt Munn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

I'm boggled with what may have been the reason to dubbing bond girls in cases where English is their first language.

Do you think perhaps that the dubbing in these cases was done because the production captured bad audio? Or perhaps it was poor equipment techniques? Or noisy locales that interfered with good crisp dialogue?

I have no idea why they would not just pull those actresses back into a recording studio and have them dub their own lines to sync with their lips. Perhaps conflicting schedules? Or maybe the director just wasn't happy with some of their performances.

Edited by Gt Munn, 02 January 2010 - 11:36 AM.