The Next Bond scored by John Williams??

17 replies to this topic

#1 AMVANQUISH007

AMVANQUISH007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 11:22 PM

I was just thinking what a great idea it would be if the worlds top composer John Williams was to score the next bond film. Yes I know that Williams would have to readapt the Monty Norman score and that there are many of you out there who would think the idea ridiculous and that he mainly is a symphonic score composer. Yes I'm a Bond fan through and through and I have enjoyed Barry, George Martin, Marvin Hamlisch and David Arnolds arrangements and scores. How about throwing the debate open and asking What If. It may be below Williams to do such a score but I just keep on thinking of what he could do with a light or large orchestra and he has stepped into this suit at least 12 times in the past and achieved exemplary chase and action music.
Who agrees with me? Its just a thought and I know most of the replies may be negative about my idea. But what a score it would be!!!

#2 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 11:40 PM

As much as I like John Williams' stuff, he's just TOO PG. His stuff is more upbeat family stuff. No, I know he has done dramatic bits. I just... I dunno. I've got Indiana Jones and Star Wars in my head, trying to picture how Bond would sound with his signature and I just don't think it would work. I think we should stick with Arnold, whose a fan in the first place.

#3 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 11:59 PM

I disagree, but I do think a Williams Bond score would be an interesting listen indeed.

Basically, for me, the Bond films have a sense of established musical style - and the scores that have strayed too far from that establishment (most notably For Your Eyes Only, License to Kill, and GoldenEye) have been disappointments that don't get as much rotation in my CD player as the far better traditional scores. John Williams is perhaps the best film composer alive today and I admire him and his scores enormously, but I fear that the results of him scoring a Bond film would tend to be more his style than Bond's, and that would be disappointing to my ears. I enjoy Williams' music as much as Bond, and I have been listening to and analyzing his score for Spielberg's Minority Report for months, but I think David Arnold has perfectly captured the essense of today's Bond in his scores far better than Williams could.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 01:15 AM

While I would not be against John Williams scoring a Bond film, I don't think it would happen.

A few years ago, the producers couldn't come to financial terms with John Barry to score again, and Williams is likely the highest paid composer out there, so that would be out. Also, he does bring a lot of epic Spielberg sounds that it may overwhelm a Bond film.

But mostly, I think David Arnold is the Bond composer of the present and future. Until he goes wrong or wants to take a break, don't let him go.

#5 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:21 AM

David Arnold is the next Barry, the composer who should last the next 20 years. Of course Barry had his breaks which provided some good (Martin and Hamlisch) and some awful (Conti) scored. I think Williams would do a great job, particularly in the more epic sequences I think he'd be better than Arnold. But listen to Williams piece for the chase through Coruscant in the last Star Wars movie - its brilliant and makes you want him to do a Bond chase.

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 11:53 AM

This is an idea I've mulled over for a long time.

I think John Williams is an outstanding composer who has done some of the best film scores ever. But his style drastically contrasts with that of James Bond. It is possible that he would be able to adapt the Bond style, but I'm not sure.

I'd love to hear Williams' take on the material, because I believe Bond scores need a slight change in style - we will have had three films done by David Arnold, whose style, while good, is bound to repeat itself. I've been encouraged by Arnold's introduction of a choir and his knowledge of this point, so I think Arnold should stay on. But even if it was just an experiment, I'd put Williams in once just so I could hear it.

#7 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:29 PM

There are soooo many brilliant composers out there. I'd love Elliot Goldenthal, Tan Dun, Howard Shore to do one. Just like before as a break from the norm.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:40 PM

I certainly wouldn't mind John Williams doing a Bond score, but as Harmsway says, the main draw of that would be the curiosity factor rather than a conviction that he's the man for Bond.

Kingdom Come, that's a superb suggestion of Elliot Goldenthal. I loved his work for HEAT.

#9 Robert Sterling

Robert Sterling

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 09:06 PM

Terrence Young was in conversation with John Williams for From Russia With Love in 1963, as the producers at the time, were still wary of the young John Barry, even after his success with the James Bond Theme for Dr No. How this would have changed the musical face of 007. Now I rekon John Williams is too old. He'd lead the music down a more classical route, which whilst interesting, is not where modern Bond thrillers should go. If Arnold has had enough, then the producers would do well to look at the likes of Hans Zimmer (Backdraft, Gladiator, Mission Impossible 2) and Danny Elfman (Batman/Batman Returns, Planet of the Apes, Spiderman).

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Robert Sterling
Terrence Young was in conversation with John Williams for From Russia With Love in 1963, as the producers at the time, were still wary of the young John Barry, even after his success with the James Bond Theme for Dr No. How this would have changed the musical face of  007.

I'd never heard this bit about John Williams before. I am surprised as I thought he was roughly John Barry's age and would have been somewhat unknown himself at the time. He gained a lot of his early notoriety working for Irwin Allen television shows like Land of the Giants and such. Interesting.

#11 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 01:34 PM

I think Hans Zimmer would be an interesting choice. He has a nice, edgy quality to his sounds. And John Williams, while quite talented, is not right for James Bond, in my opinion.

#12 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:55 AM

I'm not sure about Williams. I only know of his work in science-fiction movies; like Star Wars or Minority Report. I'd think that if he did a Bond movie the music might get too 'dreamy.'

#13 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 11:18 AM

Originally posted by iceberg
I think Hans Zimmer would be an interesting choice.  He has a nice, edgy quality to his sounds.  And John Williams, while quite talented, is not right for James Bond, in my opinion.

I Think not,he make's the,music for the other secret Agent movie: Missionimpossible 2.

I think that John William's is not avaible he is on that time bissey with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

But nothing is outclosed.

#14 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 03:34 PM

Like others said before, Williams' style just doesn't fit Bond's style.
In a way, I like the musical style that Bond currently has and for those people who think Bond music needs a radical change: if you read the review of DAD's score, you'll see that David Arnold seems to really push the envelope a bit further.
If Williams would ever get to score a Bond movie (and I have the feeling that he WILL in some years), it would be a step back from Bond's current style simply because Williams uses a lot more orchestra than David Arnold.
Concerning Hans Zimmer: I also have a no good feeling about him. I recently listened to his score for Mission Impossible 2 and I was not very fond of this one. It sounds a bit... I don't know how to say... unpleasant?

#15 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:36 AM

I disagree. Williams is a perfect candidate to score a Bond film. Go listen to his scores to ATTACK OF THE CLONES and as close as he'll ever get to a thriller movie, MINORITY REPORT. The latter was a true testament to his variety in scoring. Though, I still lobby for Michael Giacchino, the mastermind behind the scores to MEDAL OF HONOR FRONTLINE. He is a god, the next John Williams.

#16 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:44 AM

Michael Giacchino is a wonderful composer, and would be my choice for scoring the next Star Wars film should something happen to maestro Williams (God Forbid!!!). However his scores from the "Medal Of Honor" game series highly immitate Williams' style, much like Don Davis did for Jurassic Park III. BUT.... Giaacchino would definately be capable for scoring a Bond film, just listen to his score from the series "Alias" on ABC, very bondish stuff. Williams would certainly take bond down paths we never thought possible with his music, and I'm not so sure those paths are ones the series needs to take. Williams does a wonderful job with lush brass, but to me his chase music begins to sound the same (like "Anderton's Great Escape" from Minority Report sounds like... well.. take your pick of action music done by him). Not that I'm saying he isn't capable ( he most definately is!) or that he isn't a good composer (he's one of my favs) but I just don't think he is the right choice for a Bond film. In my opinion, the closest thing to williams scoring a bond film is the London Symphony Orchestra's version of the James Bond Theme, it sounds alot like something williams would arrange (in my opinion).

Rich

#17 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:54 AM

About Hans Zimmer: He is the composer that got me into scoring films and collecting film scores some years ago. I used to always think it would be cool if he did a Bond film (and still do in a way). However, if Zimmer were to do it, most likely it wouldn't really be him doing all of the score, it would be one of his protoge's from Media Ventures (his scoring group) that sounds exactly like him with his name slapped on the score cover (not that i mind, I like that synthetic music they produce). I think Zimmer's action music for "The Peacemaker" is absolutely brilliant and if you havent heard that score, either pick it up or download a track called "the chase", it is about 17 mins of pure adrenaline, wonderful for driving music!! His version of the Mission Impossible theme is wonderful, and his use of Lisa Gerrard for the wordless vocals in the "Injection" cue works masterfully. A little tidbit for all you guys who may not know, Zimmer first got started in music by programming samplers for the song "Video Killed A Radio Star" then went on to score various films in the 80's. His music is created completely digitally with orchestral samples by using a program called Gigasampler and a synthesizer, he was the first to pioneer this form of scoring, now everyone it seems (including myself) uses this method. Hmmmmmmmmmm... I wouldn't mind hearing what Media Ventures could do with bond, it is almost certain that we would have (in my opinion) some of the best damn action music for a bond film with a "zimmerfied" bond theme on electric guitar in the background. I'd be all for it!

Rich

#18 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 07:32 AM

I think that Williams would just make it sound like everything else he does....while a great composer, a lot of his stuff does sound a like nowadays...