31 replies to this topic

#1 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

I was wondering if anyone has been to the stretch of beach in Jamaica where Honey Rider comes out of the water?
In 2007 i was fortunate enough to go on holiday to Jamaica, and i insisted to my family that our first outing had to be to that particular beach. The locals knew where the place was, so we took a boat trip past Ocho Rios a few miles east, and landed at the 'James Bond Beach', as it is known.
I thought i'd post a few pictures from when i was there. It hasn't changed that much, though the bank of sand of which Bond and Honey crouched behind whilst hiding from Dr.No's goons seems to be some kind of stream now.
Other than that, it looks much the same.

Anyways, thought you'd all enjoy a butchers.

Bond beach

Bond beach 2

bond beach 3

bond beach 4

bond beach 5

bond beach 6

bond beach 7

bond beach 8

#2 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

What, no dragon pics? B)

Great job, that. Nice quality pictures. I'm impressed at how much hasn't changed, particularly the hideaway cove area.

#3 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hahaha i think the dragon must have died a long time ago.
Yeah i agree, its incredible how things can stay the same after 40 years.

#4 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

PPK, I'm surprised you didn't pull an "Ursula Andress coming out of the water" pose, considering the historic and nostalgic nature of your location. B)

Also, for ambience:

#5 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

PPK, I'm surprised you didn't pull an "Ursula Andress coming out of the water" pose, considering the historic and nostalgic nature of your location. B)

Also, for ambience:

I considered it, but decided not to ruin an iconic moment with my inept attempts at re-creating history.
And as for the music, perfect! Mango, banana and tangerine....

#6 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. B)

#7 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

Cool, looks like its pretty much been left alone. Surprising for the setting of such an iconic movie setting, Id have expected thousands of tourists trying to recreate the Ursula introduction. I went to James Bond Island in Thailand which was the setting of Scaramanga's island and it was almost impossible to get a decent photo with the hundreds of tourists on it. And that movie and those scenes are largely forgotten outside of Bond fans.

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

Great pics, and nice to see that it hasn't changed or been spoiled by too many visitors.

I too have been to James Bond Island from TMWTGG and it's very busy in comparison.

#9 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Yes I have. Went to Ocho Rios (where the beach is) many times on my travels years ago. It still had the old banana plantation building on (dark green it was) on the small pier. Groups of Jamaicans used to sit there with there taxi's waiting for fares.
Went to Dunnes Falls nearby too.

#10 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

Those are great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coolest thing I've looked at all day B)

#11 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

Nice pics PPK_19! B)

Incredible that it has hardly changed in almost 50 years. Just like it was shot in the same year you came there. I would really like to go there myself some day.

#12 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

Nice pics PPK_19! B)

Incredible that it has hardly changed in almost 50 years. Just like it was shot in the same year you came there. I would really like to go there myself some day.

Yeah it was idyllic. I really wanted to see Goldeneye, Ian Fleming's house near Oracabessa. Though i didn't have time :tdown:

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

Very beautiful pictures, PPK_19! That beach looks amazing. I wonder if the producers would consider using tne location again, IF the Jamaica rumour is true, of course.

There's something just utterly Bondian about it. Thanks very much for posting. B)

You've made my day.

#14 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Nice pics PPK_19! B)

Yeah it was idyllic. I really wanted to see Goldeneye, Ian Fleming's house near Oracabessa. Though i didn't have time :tdown:

Too bad because Goldeneye is just down from the beach a few minutes. I was just there last week and we did a boat assault up to Goldeneye to take photos. See LTK2009

#15 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

Good times, my uncle used to take me there almost every Sunday when I was a kid.

#16 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

Good times, my uncle used to take me there almost every Sunday when I was a kid.

What a way to live your childhood!

#17 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

Don't be jealous, Jamaica's a crime riddled B) hole. The tourists never see that though. Luckily my parents jobs kept me off the island for many months at a time.

#18 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:46 AM

Don't be jealous, though; Jamaica's a crime riddled B) hole. The tourists never see that though. Luckily my parents jobs kept me off the island for many months at a time.

Indeed; in fact, I just read a rather startling article in the paper today about the way Jamaica treats their gay population: It was quite the eye-opener. :tdown:

#19 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:58 AM

Yeah, since the island got independence from Britain it just went down hill. One corrupt Prime minister and his crew after the next. It'll never be as bad as much of South America or even a few other islands but it's still pretty corrupt, crime riddled and intolerant. It reminds me a lot of St Louis, it's nice enough on the surface but if you stare at the picture long enough you'll see just how bad it really is.

#20 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, since the island got independence from Britain it just went down hill. One corrupt Prime minister and his crew after the next. It'll never be as bad as much of South America or even a few other islands but it's still pretty corrupt, crime riddled and intolerant. It reminds me a lot of St Louis, it's nice enough on the surface but if you stare at the picture long enough you'll see just how bad it really is.

Omar, I think you are very fortunate to have spent so much time at James Bond beach as it is only a matter of time before the place gets developed and ruined. This is what they have unfortunately done to Goldeneye as mentioned on another thread.

I was also talking to a few Africans from Ghana and they also said that life under British colonial rule was better in many (not all) respects.

Jamaica has so much potential with some of the world's finest resources commanding the highest prices - sea island cotton, blue mountain coffee, great beaches and parks. It's a shame corruption, wiolence and mismanagement rule.

And curious as to what is wrong with ST Louis.

#21 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

You really should visit St Louis man. Nice place, great history, great food, baseball. Only it's got the highest amount of gang related violence in the entire nation, it's always running #2 or #1 in highest murder rate in the country.

But as to Jamaica's resources, yeah man. That's how my family got to be there, my dad's a metallurgist for Alcoa so he ended up there because of it's aluminum resources and my mother's side of the family moved from England because of farming!

#22 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

Great photos, PPK_19. B)

Great pics, and nice to see that it hasn't changed or been spoiled by too many visitors.

I too have been to James Bond Island from TMWTGG and it's very busy in comparison.

The main reason it still looks so good is because the property is privately owned. While you can still get there as PPK_19 did, it definitely keeps the average tourist away.

#23 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

Those are nice pictures. I wish I went there B)

#24 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

PPK_19 while you were there did you go see goldeneye? thats a main attraction for me when i go obviously because its were fleming got his insperation for some of scenes in the books.

#25 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Very good of you to put the pictures up PPK_19. And it does look stunning. Looks like the stream now has a wall each side to it? Make's my trip to Cafe De La Prix look pony now!

I dont think Fleming would swear to much if he walked along that beach as it looks not to have changed much. He would curse when he got to the top of the stairs at Goldeneye.

#26 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Very good of you to put the pictures up PPK_19. And it does look stunning. Looks like the stream now has a wall each side to it? Make's my trip to Cafe De La Prix look pony now!

I dont think Fleming would swear to much if he walked along that beach as it looks not to have changed much. He would curse when he got to the top of the stairs at Goldeneye.

I've had the pics on my computer for 2 years, and it never crossed my mind to put them up.
I will tell you one thing, i was the happiest 20 year old in the world when i was there! If it wasn't for that blue wall thing on either side of the stream it would look identical to back when it was first filmed.
If i don't get married, im retiring to Jamaica!

#27 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

Was watching the tube earlier tonight, and this little commercial came on; guess what caught my eye at about 0:25: B)

#28 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Great pics, PPK! Looks exactly the same as in the movie.

#29 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Great pics, PPK! Looks exactly the same as in the movie.

I wanna go there !!!

#30 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

I'd love to go there as well!! Looks just the same as it did in the film!