40 replies to this topic

#31 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'm bumping this up because I have something to say.

Last night I had a revelation about the Beach Boys and I decided to tell my mom about it, and she agreed with me. I was thinking about the songs they wrote in their earlier days, all the songs about being popular, and I felt that they were hypocritical. They claimed they catered to the teenage crowd, but really they only catered to the popular teenagers. I think they should have written a song that sent a message that even if you don't have a hot rod, or a girlfriend, or surf, or aren't a jock, you can still be cool in your own unique way.

#32 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

But the Beach Boys were pre-namby pamby "everyone is special" PC crap that parents & educators shove down kids' throats nowadays. And actually, not all of their early music (I assume you're addressing pre-"Pet Sounds" material) was aimed at 'popular teenagers'. "County Fair" and "I'm Bugged At My Old Man" are pretty self-deprecating.

If you want to talk about the Beach Boys being hypocritical, how about the fact that only one of them (Dennis) actually surfed?

Still, I love them to death.

#33 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

But it's true. Even though I have a disabilty, I'm still the same as everyone else. And I love them to death as well!

#34 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

My point is that emphasis on the whole "everyone's special" mantra has only come into the mainstream over the last twenty years or so. I'm sure the Beach Boys did not have you in mind when they wrote such classics as "Be True To Your School" and "Shut Down" from 1961-1965. ;)

#35 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

XD. I wasn't even born. Be True To Your School sort of caters to everyone because it has a universal message.

I don't know, maybe being an English major has caused me to think too much...

#36 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Just a few more days till Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin is up for sale. Haven't seen any reviews yet, but would be very surprised if Rolling Stone doesn't vote in their next issue. High hopes.

#37 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

I've heard it, and I have to say it's a very enjoyable album. Not groundbreaking as many had touted it to be, but extremely well done nonetheless. I actually found that the album kind of slowed down in the middle; the first few tracks and the last few are the record's strong points. No clunkers or anything, but the standout tracks for me were definitely "Rhapsody In Blue," "The Like In I Love You," "I've Got Rhythm", "I've Got a Crush On You" and "Someone To Watch Over Me" (the latter which sounds straight out of "Pet Sounds"!). I'd have to admit that I probably enjoy "SMiLE" and "That Lucky Old Sun" over this record, but this is an easy third in Brian Wilson's career solo material.

#38 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

I've heard it, and I have to say it's a very enjoyable album. Not groundbreaking as many had touted it to be, but extremely well done nonetheless. I actually found that the album kind of slowed down in the middle; the first few tracks and the last few are the record's strong points. No clunkers or anything, but the standout tracks for me were definitely "Rhapsody In Blue," "The Like In I Love You," "I've Got Rhythm", "I've Got a Crush On You" and "Someone To Watch Over Me" (the latter which sounds straight out of "Pet Sounds"!). I'd have to admit that I probably enjoy "SMiLE" and "That Lucky Old Sun" over this record, but this is an easy third in Brian Wilson's career solo material.

Thanks for this. I revere Smile, love That Lucky Old Sun...and will be perfectly happy if this takes its place in the Big Three.

#39 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

The Beach Boys infamous 1967 "lost masterpiece" Smile is finally being released in as close to its original form as we're ever gonna get at the start of November.

Posted Image

A genuine milestone, or actaully a bit of a non-event given all the versions of tracks that turned up on Beach Boys albums in the late 60s and early 70s, and in particular Brian Wilson's solo reconstruction less than a decade ago? I don't know, but I've made my pre-order!

#40 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Amazing news, Safari. I'm pretty sure many of us thought we'd never live to see the day this happened.

In other news, it was announced today that Aaron Eckhart will be playing Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson in a new biopic.

# Aaron Eckhart to Play Beach Boy Dennis Wilson in 'The Drummer'

#41 Lt. Garfield

Lt. Garfield

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

in this case

God Only Knows ;)