18 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

In 2006, Felix Leiter's beard took the world by storm.

Two years later, Felix Leiter's beard returned, continuing to captivate the minds of moviegoers the world over.

Do you think Leiter will sport a beard again in 2011 in Bond 23? B)

AND

What are your thoughts on the beard? Like? Dislike? Despise with a passion?

Edited by Righty007, 02 July 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#2 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

As a beardie, I'd be happy for its return.

#3 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

Absolutely.

#4 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

I hope it returns. I quite like the beard. And frankly I think Wright looks a bit odd without one, given I was introduced to the actor in CR, with full beard. Come to think of it I've only seen him in Bond. I've seen photos and things of him from before and between, but I've only actually seen in him something when that something is a Bond film.

#5 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

If he keeps the beard, he can do double duty as the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Which would be all kinds of awesome.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:10 AM

I hope it returns. I quite like the beard. And frankly I think Wright looks a bit odd without one, given I was introduced to the actor in CR, with full beard. Come to think of it I've only seen him in Bond. I've seen photos and things of him from before and between, but I've only actually seen in him something when that something is a Bond film.

I really recommend checking out some of his non-Bond work!

His best non-Leiter role (that I've seen) is Peoples Hernandez in Shaft (2000). He's also really good as Colin Powell in W. and as Muddy Waters in Cadillac Records. He was good in Broken Flowers too.

His role in The Invasion is unmemorable and it's been a long time since I've seen The Manchurian Candidate (very small role) and Syriana (boring film).

I recently bought M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water on DVD but have yet to watch it.

If he keeps the beard, he can do double duty as the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Which would be all kinds of awesome.

LOL! :tdown:

Welcome back, sark. B)

Felix Leiter: His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

He could shave the beard off as a disguise.

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

Perhaps if the U.S. economy improves, Leiter will be able to afford a razor in 2011? B)

Joking aside, the beard has grown on me (no pun intended) so I wouldn't mind if it returns again in Bond 23.

#9 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

I would hope to see the beard back and I would also like to see it back on Jefferys face.

#10 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

I recently bought M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water on DVD but have yet to watch it.

Just be sure to judge it on your own viewing, and don't go by what other people say. I like it better than 98% of moviegoers on the planet, myself. And Wright's one of the brighter spots. It's not a dazzling role, but he does well with the role he's given. Duh.

#11 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

One way or another, I don't really care if the beard stays or not.

But he definitely should sport a full head of straw hair in Bond 23.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

But he definitely should sport a full head of straw hair in Bond 23.

P'rhaps a straw hat? :tdown:

Anyhow, I do like the beard, even if he does shave it into a moustache for the next one. B)

#13 Dainshdude118

Dainshdude118

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Facial hair is actually quite underrepresented in modern cinema, especially in Bond films, so it’s nice to see Jeffery breaking the mould. Incidentally, this thread got me thinking about other bearded characters in Bond films and aside from Brozza in DAD, I’ve drawn a blank. Can you guys think of any others?

#14 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

Facial hair is actually quite underrepresented in modern cinema, especially in Bond films, so it’s nice to see Jeffery breaking the mould. Incidentally, this thread got me thinking about other bearded characters in Bond films and aside from Brozza in DAD, I’ve drawn a blank. Can you guys think of any others?

The agent who was presumably 006 in TB had a goatee. John Rhys-Davies, being that he is John Rhys-Davies, had his baby of a beard in TLD. That's as far as I can recall in the way of beards.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

The beard is unnecessary and unBondian. Fleming's Leiter did not have a beard, nor would he sport one. And before you say "Yes, but Fleming never intended Felix to be an African American, either", I suggest that that is no reason to have the man looking like a goddam hippie.

#16 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

The beard is unnecessary and unBondian. Fleming's Leiter did not have a beard, nor would he sport one. And before you say "Yes, but Fleming never intended Felix to be an African American, either", I suggest that that is no reason to have the man looking like a goddam hippie.

Spoiler
B)

Edited by Tybre, 22 July 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#17 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

He should hide poison-tipped needles in it. And a set of lock-picking instruments. And a jewharp.

'Cause y'never know...

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Dirty hippies. Felix Leiter shouldn't look like some scrote trying to get through the fence at Glastonbury.

#19 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

The agent who was presumably 006 in TB had a goatee. John Rhys-Davies, being that he is John Rhys-Davies, had his baby of a beard in TLD. That's as far as I can recall in the way of beards.

Don't forget about Michael Lonsdale's quotemeister, Hugo Drax.
Or Kabir Bedi's Gobinda--one of the best Bond henchmen ever.
Sanchez's chief chemist also sported a beard.
Tcheky Karyo's Dmitri Mishkin had facial hair as well.
Ricky Jay's Henry Gupta had quite a full growth of beard on him.
And I believe Emilio Echevarria's Raoul was hirsute too.