27 replies to this topic

#1 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

I haven't seen LTK for some time, but I once saw on here a very funny critique about Moneypenny's office in that movie. Apparently it's rather cheap looking.

Are there any online screengrab comparisons of Moneypenny's LTK office next to her office from the other 007 films? What makes the LTK Moneypenny office such a target of abuse from 007 fans? Was it a recreation of Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny office?

Much has been written about iconic Bond sets such as Dr No's lair and the volcano base from YOLT. Make this a tribute thread for Moneypenny's LTK office, please (and any other 007 franchise sets that are as entertaining as this one).

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

I always thought it was the same office used in the other films, tbh.

Honestly, out of all the things to criticize. :tdown: B)

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:25 AM

Me, too! What, they didn't have to cart Robert Brown and Caroline Bliss all the way to Mexico just for that one scene, did they? I'm sure the M and Moneypenny offices were long-standing sets at Pinewood throughout the 1980s.

...erm, weren't they? B)

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:07 AM

Have we run out of topics that Moneypenny's office in a minute-long cameo in LTK merited a whole thread of its own? B)

Just goes to show we don't need Moneypenny anymore anyway.

#5 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:07 AM

The office was different. Wasn't really cheap so much as bland. White/cream walls, a desk, no apparent other furniture, but the camera was focused on the corner where her desk was.

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

The office was different. Wasn't really cheap so much as bland. White/cream walls, a desk, no apparent other furniture, but the camera was focused on the corner where her desk was.

I'm willing to bet only that portion was built in the studio in Mexico. It's such a short scnene and only really filmed from one angle, I can't see them building a full set if they didnt have to.

Besides, before LTK we hadnt seen Moneypenny's office since AVTAK, I doubt they would have left that set standing.

#7 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Besides, before LTK we hadnt seen Moneypenny's office since AVTAK

We went one whole film without seeing it?!? How on earth did audiences cope with that in the 80s?

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

Besides, before LTK we hadnt seen Moneypenny's office since AVTAK

We went one whole film without seeing it?!? How on earth did audiences cope with that in the 80s?

I know that before any of the Brosnan's had come out I thought it was a radical change.

#9 Head of S

Head of S

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

Me, too! What, they didn't have to cart Robert Brown and Caroline Bliss all the way to Mexico just for that one scene, did they? I'm sure the M and Moneypenny offices were long-standing sets at Pinewood throughout the 1980s.

...erm, weren't they? B)

The M/Moneypenny scene in Licence To Kill was filmed at Churubusco Studios in Mexico.

#10 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Spot on. I really like Moneypenny's TLD office.

#11 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

Besides, before LTK we hadnt seen Moneypenny's office since AVTAK,

Oh really? What was that desk and wall of monitors that Moneypenny sat in front of in The Living Daylights? I think critics of the scene in LTK are probably reacting to how antiquated her work area looks in comparison to how modern it was in TLD, not to mention the very stiff camera angle.

I always thought that room in TLD was part of Q Branch.

#12 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

It looks pretty much identical to me. It might even be the same set, shipped over to Mexico.

#13 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

Gotta say, I'd never noticed.

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

Besides, before LTK we hadnt seen Moneypenny's office since AVTAK,

Oh really? What was that desk and wall of monitors that Moneypenny sat in front of in The Living Daylights? I think critics of the scene in LTK are probably reacting to how antiquated her work area looks in comparison to how modern it was in TLD, not to mention the very stiff camera angle.

I always thought that room in TLD was part of Q Branch.

I always thought that as well.

#15 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Me too, in fact I just assumed it I didn't even think about it.

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

I'm not sure this requires it's own thread, so I thought I'd just put it in here:

Something that I just thought about, and upon reflection it seems kind of odd. But Moneypenny's office was always filmed from one angle. Almost in a sitcom sort of way, I'm sure it had three walls and that's it, kind of weird when you think about it, especially considering how expensive some of the Bond films were. Just seems weird that they'd allow this one set to be filmed like a conventional sitcom.

#17 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:57 AM

It looks pretty much identical to me. It might even be the same set, shipped over to Mexico.

That's what I assumed, as well, but then I remembered that most of the interior scenes were shot in a converted warehouse, so... :tdown:

I'm not sure this requires it's own thread, so I thought I'd just put it in here:

Something that I just thought about, and upon reflection it seems kind of odd. But Moneypenny's office was always filmed from one angle. Almost in a sitcom sort of way, I'm sure it had three walls and that's it, kind of weird when you think about it, especially considering how expensive some of the Bond films were. Just seems weird that they'd allow this one set to be filmed like a conventional sitcom.

Not quite; in OHMSS, if I remember correctly, there was one shot of Bond standing in front of M's office door that showed the other wall in Moneypenny's office. Am I right, or just misremembering? B)

#18 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

I havent watched OHMSS in a while, so I'm not sure.

#19 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:37 AM

I always thought the scene in TLD with Moneypenny giving Bond the info was also part of Q Branch, and in the back of my mind I always wondered why she was not in her office--

#20 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

I always thought the scene in TLD with Moneypenny giving Bond the info was also part of Q Branch, and in the back of my mind I always wondered why she was not in her office--

Exactly. This was Q branch in TLD (still looking the same as it did in Goldfinger).

Meanwhile, yes, I agree with the original comment about Moneypenny's office. And there was the standard establishing shot of London, which always has to include an old-style red double-decker, even though they are becoming less common in London these days!

#21 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Yep, that was a different angle showing the fourth wall in OHMSS when Laz gives dictates his resignation.

And we might have seen it in FYEO, but I'm not certain.

#22 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Yep, that was a different angle showing the fourth wall in OHMSS when Laz gives dictates his resignation.

Hey, thanks, man! B)

And we might have seen it in FYEO, but I'm not certain.

Hmmmmm, maybe you're right; he is standing by a wall, if I recall...

#23 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

I want to see a return to the look of the Fleming books. Bond works in a non-descript, older office building that doesn't stand out unless you look up and see all the anntennas on the roof. But once inside you get a decided militaristic flair of men in dark blue or black suits, and women in navy blue skirts, with a choice of white shirts with vertical pink stripes or blue stripes. Everyone has the look of someone who's been through a war, or in some other ways have seen way too much of the world.

Then of course there's M, Sir Miles Messervy, an admiral, and a crusty old salt, presumably with naval knicknacks decorating his own office.

Bond's office is severly functional, his desk with two phones, one for inside the office, one for outside, and several clocks set to different time zones. He has the base of an old mortar shell for an ashtray. His is only one of the three desks for the double-0's, although they're rarely if ever in office as the same time. So holding down the fort is their watchdog of a secretary, Loelia Ponsonby, in an outer office. She stays frosty and cold with the 00's, because she doesn't want to get involved with someone who'll probably turn up dead at any moment.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 24 June 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#24 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hmmmph; talk about breaking the fourth wall...

#25 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

That's what I assumed, as well, but then I remembered that most of the interior scenes were shot in a converted warehouse, so... :tdown:

Not quite; in OHMSS, if I remember correctly, there was one shot of Bond standing in front of M's office door that showed the other wall in Moneypenny's office. Am I right, or just misremembering? B)

I watched it over the weekend, you are right. When Bond is dictating his resignation to Moneypenny, the shot is from Moneypenny's POV, facing towards Bond with M's door in the background.

#26 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

I watched it over the weekend, you are right. When Bond is dictating his resignation to Moneypenny, the shot is from Moneypenny's POV, facing towards Bond with M's door in the background.

Thanks, man. B)

By the way, do you think that was part of the set all along or just built for OHMSS?

#27 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

I only hope we can get a Moneypenny in the future that was as classy as Maxwell/Bliss' take on the role, and not some potty-mouthed tart like Bond's version.

Have you met many British girls?

#28 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:43 AM

Thanks, man. B)

By the way, do you think that was part of the set all along or just built for OHMSS?

The set for OHMSS is decidely different than the ones that showed up in the Moore films. Not that it couldnt just be a redress, but I believe the color is also different.