22 replies to this topic

#1 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 04:16 PM

Just noticed on [url="http://"http://www.amazon.co.uk"]Amazon[/url] that the new 2002 revised edition of The Bond Files by Andy Lane and Paul Simpson is available. I own the original '98 edition and IMHO it is one of the most definitive books on James Bond out there. This edition will most likely feature updates for NDOD and TMWTRT and possible DAD. Any Bond fan worth his or her salt should own this book. Click [url="http://"http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0753507129/qid=1034957508/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/026-9585642-1966031"]here[/url] to check it out. Great new cover too.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 04:23 PM

I really like the other (2) editions of this book... This one is on its way to me. Looking forward to it.

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 04:26 PM

I must say Zencat, that the new cover is much more stylish than the previous two editions. Almost puts the DAD novelisation cover to shame really. :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 04:34 PM

I think I liked the cover to edition #2 the best, but this one is also nice.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 04:45 PM

Cool! I enjoyed the original version, especially its sense of humour. Hilarious reading, especially its lists of goofs in all the Bond films.

I just hope the authors have been given an early showing of DIE ANOTHER DAY so that they were able to include it, otherwise the book will very soon be dated.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
I just hope the authors have been given an early showing of DIE ANOTHER DAY so that they were able to include it, otherwise the book will very soon be dated.

This book isn't official (at least it wasn't, maybe it is now?) so I doubt this very much.

#7 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, I particularly like the insults against the James Bond Jr. series.

#8 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 08:25 PM

I own the new edition, and it has plot details, etc. of DAD. It quite rightly gives Gardner the hatchet job he so richly deserves.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 08:52 PM

Originally posted by zencat

This book isn't official (at least it wasn't, maybe it is now?) so I doubt this very much.

Scratch that! The mail lady just delived the book to my door and it does indeed cover the films up to DAD, the books up to TATTOO, and the games up to NIGHTFIRE. It's really an amazing reference book. Get it!

#10 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:46 PM

It's probably the most used reference book in my collection (including the dictionary), so I'm definitely going to pick up the latest edition asap.

I advise anybody who hasn't already got it to get it!

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 10:18 PM

You can bet there'll be quite a few updates. Where there are gaps in the previous editions ie. Comicstrips and Jr. episodes, the writers will most probably have been able to get hold of a few more. I own the second edition and it's possibly the best Bond book ever!

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
It  quite rightly gives Gardner the hatchet job he so richly deserves.

I don't think Gardner "richly deserves" a "hatched job." Why does he deserve it? Because he wrote 14 books and did his best? I enjoyed some of his Bond books very much. He's a part of Bond history and I think he deserves respect.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 06:04 AM

I love Gardners Books, he brought Bond up to date for the 80's, sure some of the things he did to Bond were not well received by some people, but other people love them.

#14 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:35 AM

Gardner gave Bond a Saab, abolished the double 0 section, had about two plots for 14 novels, had more plot holes than Roger Moore had dodgy one liners and, as the final insult changed Bond's gun from a Walther PPK to a different one virtually every book.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
Gardner gave Bond a Saab, abolished the double 0 section, had about two plots for 14 novels, had more plot holes than Roger Moore had dodgy one liners and, as the final insult changed Bond's gun from a Walther PPK to a different one virtually every book.

The Saab: Hey, I liked this car! And Gardner only had Bond in the Saab for the first 3 books. The other 11 had him in a Bentley. Is that unBond?

Abolished the 00-sec: Yes, I didn't care for this either, but I think this may have been a Gildrose idea. I'm not 100% sure of that however.

Two plots for 14 novels: I could argue every Bond movie and book has essentially the same plot. I think finding two plots may have been an accomplishment!

Plot holes and Roger Moore: I don't remember any gapping plot holes and lay off Roger! :)

Changed his gun every book: Again, he changed the gun in the first 3 books. Then Bond used an ASP 9mm for the remaining 11.

#16 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:37 PM

Every Bond film doesn't have the same plot - a few do, see YOLT and TSWLM, but most are at least noticably different, whilst Gardner's all seemed to revolve around the Russian-Finnish border or some new mighty terrorist organisation, see BAST, the Scales of Justice, NSAA, a reformed SPECTRE, the Society of the Meek Ones and COLD.
As for plot holes - come on! In Role Of Honour, why do SPECTRE go to all of the trouble to take over the goodyear field, and the airship - and then not have a pilot available?? In Licence Revoked, why would a highly dangerous international terrorist accpet payment later when he knows Murik's going to blackmail the entire western world? Why does he all of a sudden trust Bond just because Bond defeats Caber at the games? etc. etc.
Gardner just fiddled around with Bond too much. He changed everything, made Bond feel unfamilar and strange. Aside from that, Q'ute simply cannot be forgiven. Gardner's books can be quite enjoyable, but they're too inconsisent and samey to be anywhere near Fleming, or indeed the excellent Benson.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 10:17 PM

Points well made, Bondpurist. :)

#18 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 10:36 PM

Blimey. In 530 posts nobody's ever said that or anything like that to me. I salute you zencat.

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:32 AM

Originally posted by zencat

Scratch that! The mail lady just delived the book to my door and it does indeed cover the films up to DAD, the books up to TATTOO, and the games up to NIGHTFIRE. It's really an amazing reference book. Get it!

Does the coverage of DAD lead you to think the authors have actually seen the film? (Unlike JAMES BOND: THE LEGACY, where it appears that although the authors have been told a fair few things about the movie, its characters and plot, it does not appear that they have been privy to a screening of DAD.) Are there "all the usual refinements", such as a rundown of the It's Only A Movie goofs, James Bond Fashion Victim, etc.?

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:36 AM

Someone else will need to answer that one for you, Loomis, I didn't read the DAD section (just as I didn't read it in The Legacy book) in case of spoilers. Sorry.

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:56 AM

You didn't read the DAD sections? Wow, that's willpower, Zencat!

#22 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:15 PM

Great.

I've been wanting a copy but always held off hoping to see an updated edition.

#23 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:00 PM

They only cover what they knew about Die Another Day up until the book was being written, apparently circa May 2002.
I got the book yesterday and I must say that I'm disappointed. The reviews for Benson's latest novels seem hurried and despite claiming that the "00" agent line up was now a healthy 13 members, completely omitted the section regarding MI6 stations, fellow 00 agents, codenames and psuedonyms, etc. which was present in the 1998 original edition. Why? Did this happen with the 2000 edition? And where has the bibliography at the back gone?