This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)

284 replies to this topic

#271 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Really? I did not find it complicated at all.

Let´s see: The baddie wants to end the world with starting a nuclear war with the USA. The IMF team has to stop him. Also, it has to do it while being hunted for planting a bomb in the Kremlin.

There is a trade of the launch codes that has to be stopped.

Very simple, isn´t it?

#272 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Indeed. In terms of two sentences.

But while I do not wish to encourage Tightpants into performing another tirade, I believe he might have iterated all my concerns.

However, to exemplify;

What is motivating the bad guy to end the world?
How come he had a mask?
Why did the chap helping IMF get to India, want them followed by the Russians?
Who killed the Secretary?
Who was the guy Hunt rescued from the prison?
How was the prison escape and nuclear bomb connected?
I hope Ving Rames did not earn $5m for his appearance.

As said, maybe it needs a second viewing, maybe I lost interest.

#273 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

What is motivating the bad guy to end the world? His idea that the current way of the world is corrupted and that we need a clean slate to start anew.
How come he had a mask? Yeah, well... I´m wringing it here but... the mask technique surely is something not only the IMF team knows about. So, he employs it for himself, too.
Why did the chap helping IMF get to India, want them followed by the Russians? Well, he just had his base there. Just like in the Bond films. These guys already travel around enough, right?
Who killed the Secretary? Not quite sure, actually. Either the Bad Guy or accidentally the Russian Police/Secret Service Guy´s helpers.
Who was the guy Hunt rescued from the prison? Someone with connections to the arms dealer.
How was the prison escape and nuclear bomb connected? Hunt gathered intel in the prison.
I hope Ving Rames did not earn $5m for his appearance. Surely not. But hopefully more than $5.

#274 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Indeed. In terms of two sentences.

But while I do not wish to encourage Tightpants into performing another tirade, I believe he might have iterated all my concerns.

However, to exemplify;

How come he had a mask?

With this sort of pulp spy thriller, all of those questions can be answered with two words: Who cares? I'm surprised the plot mattered more than the ride for you guys. The whole point of this sort of entertainment is to shut your brain off and enjoy the characters, the stunt work, and the suspense. Provided the characters are likeable enough, coherence of narritive isn't important.

And Captain, several of my friends who aren't Bond fans but saw TWINE recall, above all else from that film, Bond adjusting his tie underwater. It was amusing and "Bond-like" for the time. I still get a kick out of it, despite knowing full well it's ludicrous.

#275 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Matt,

Yup - good point.

But the premise with these MI films has always been one of intelligence.

Shutting your brain off has more been indicative of a Segal type 'thriller'... in my opinion.

What is motivating the bad guy to end the world? His idea that the current way of the world is corrupted and that we need a clean slate to start anew.
How come he had a mask? Yeah, well... I´m wringing it here but... the mask technique surely is something not only the IMF team knows about. So, he employs it for himself, too.
Why did the chap helping IMF get to India, want them followed by the Russians? Well, he just had his base there. Just like in the Bond films. These guys already travel around enough, right?
Who killed the Secretary? Not quite sure, actually. Either the Bad Guy or accidentally the Russian Police/Secret Service Guy´s helpers.
Who was the guy Hunt rescued from the prison? Someone with connections to the arms dealer.
How was the prison escape and nuclear bomb connected? Hunt gathered intel in the prison.
I hope Ving Rames did not earn $5m for his appearance. Surely not. But hopefully more than $5.

Sorry - but all b0ll0cks! Wishful thinking and heaps of gap-filling going on here fella.

You will have to do better than this to capture my attention.

3/10

#276 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Rhames earned $7 million, actually, for his two-minute appearance, and I'm pretty sure the Russian op forces killed the IMF Secretary... which doesn't really make any sense, to me, but oh, well.

More you know... ;-)

#277 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Rhames earned $7 million, actually, for his two-minute appearance

What's your source for this? Seems stupefyingly unlikely.

#278 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Sorry - but all b0ll0cks! Wishful thinking and heaps of gap-filling going on here fella.

You will have to do better than this to capture my attention.

3/10

Feel free to call everything bollocks.

#279 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

He apparently believes that apocalyptic events are a natural part of human evolution - no matter how cataclysmic the event, the strongest will survive. He wanted to trigger a nuclear war so that when the bombs finally stopped falling, the next stage of human evolution could begin.

How come he had a mask?
It is never explained in the film. I suppose the implication is that the Russian security forces also have access to the face-mask technology, and as a nuclear strategist, he would also be able to get his hands on it. However, it felt like a cheap way to give the villain some kind of presence in the Dubai sequence.

He probably didn't. But he was a Russian arms dealer and the Russians wanted the IMF team, so they no doubt applied some kind of pressure to him to give up the IMF's location. However, it is also demonstrated that the only way for Hunt to prove the IMF's innocence was to have the Russians witness him stop the threat, so he probably made sure the arms dealer passed this information on.

I think it was supposed to be Sidirov, the Russian agent chasing Hunt, because he knew Hunt was in the car. But it is never explained how he knew.

Bogdan, a source who knows something about Michael Nyqvist's character. What he knows and how he knows it are never explained. It is a way to shoehorn Hunt's "character arc" into the story. Hunt had to have a reason for being in the Russian prison after staging the deaths of the Serbian militia. Bodgan was that reason.

Bogdan gave Hunt information on Michael Nyqvist. That information was used to target Nyqvist in the first place.

I have no idea how much he was paid.

#280 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

This is fun. We should do this with all the Bond films. I guess they have quite a lot of explaining to do...

#281 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Ok - many thanks all.

Hi SecretAgent - I hope my attempt at humor came across... Cheers.

#282 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

It didn´t.

But I hope mine does.

Cheers to you, mate!

#283 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Where I failed ...

#284 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Anyone seen Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol yet. How does it live up to the last films in the series and is the Dubai sequence amazing like people say. I've not had a chance to have a look myself but the action clearly goes back to the days when Bond films used to do there stunts for real.I know Tom Cruise is not afraid of heights and would insist he does the stunt himself for believeabilty.

General users on Rotten Tomatoes are a mixed bag really but the critics seem to love it.

#285 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

http://debrief.comma...-protocol-2011/