10 replies to this topic

#1 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:18 AM

I can't confirm this, but I remember hearing that Licence to Kill was supposed to take place in China, and that there was supposed to be a motorcycle chase on the Great Wall.
Does anyone else know anything about this??? B)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

I knew China, but I don't recall a motorcycle chase on Great Wall (except the one in Tomb Raider 2)

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:59 AM

That does sound familiar. Was that for LTK, or what was to be Dalton's 3rd Bond film.

#4 Hitmonk

Hitmonk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

China was planned at one stage for the 3rd film. There's a great article about it all over at M16:

http://www.mi6.co.uk...d_17_intro.php3

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

That article is about the 3rd Dalton film treatment set in Hong Kong (which was not yet China) and Japan (also not China B)).

We're talking about the original idea for what became Licence To Kill. The setting was going to be China. They scouted locations and I think it involved treasure, or maybe just smuggling. MGW brings it up, I believe, in the DVD documentary. I also have a clipping from one of the trades that says Dalton's second film would be set in China.

#6 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

That article is about the 3rd Dalton film treatment set in Hong Kong (which was not yet China) and Japan (also not China B)).

We're talking about the original idea for what became Licence To Kill. The setting was going to be China. They scouted locations and I think it involved treasure, or maybe just smuggling. MGW brings it up, I believe, in the DVD documentary. I also have a clipping from one of the trades that says Dalton's second film would be set in China.

I think if LTK has been set in China and tweeked accordingly, it would have been a huge improvement and possibly a much bigger hit than it was. Real shame. Dalton Bond in Asia would have been a treat. I really hope one of the Craig films is set in Asia.

#7 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:34 AM

I really like LTK's locales as it is, but China would have been interesting for sure.

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

I knew China, but I don't recall a motorcycle chase on Great Wall (except the one in Tomb Raider 2)

I heard about the Motorcycle chase before. Can't recall where though, but I know it's brought up in one of the Bond movie books.

#9 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

I think if LTK has been set in China and tweeked accordingly, it would have been a huge improvement and possibly a much bigger hit than it was. Real shame. Dalton Bond in Asia would have been a treat. I really hope one of the Craig films is set in Asia.

I agree. What could have been. Oh, well. As you say, maybe one of Craig's films can make up for it.

#10 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

Considering the somewhat wasted potential of Mexico/Panama in LTK (and I say that as a huge fan of the movie, it's possibly my current favorite), maybe it's good they didn't go to China back then. I think they could do it a lot more justice now anyway, between presumably better access and on a certainly better budget.

#11 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

China was planned at one stage for the 3rd film. There's a great article about it all over at M16:

http://www.mi6.co.uk...d_17_intro.php3

I read the article and thanked god the film wasn't made as soon as I read: "Walt Disney's Imagineering division was contracted to supply designs for the high-tech robots that featured in the early screenplays. Form was to follow function, according to the treatment, so they would not have necessarily been robots in humanoid form - with the exception of the villainous 'Nan'. Apparently, first drafts of potential robot designs were completed and handed over to Eon"

Loved Dalton's Bond and always wanted to see more of him in the role. But Robots started to get me thinking we were about to get back to the 1970s.

BTW, does anyone know where we can find the photo taken of the Cannes Banner "Timothy Dalton returns as 007 in the 17th James Bond film. Coming Summer '91", with a smaller caption under Dalton's pose stating "The most successful series in motion pictures continues." The link they have on the site does not appear to take you to it now.

cheers