16 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Just finished watching Vantage Point tonight, a brilliant movie! Full of interesting characters, camera angles, etc...

Just wondered what you guys thought of Pete Travis as a director for a future Bond movie.

Here is a clip of the car chase from the movie...

As you can see. It's quickly edited, and uses a shakey cam. BUT I can see what was going on. IMO, this car chase is thrilling, as is the whole movie.

I'm all for a frantically edited Bond film, IF it has a story and the camera work is clear.

#2 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

I'd be fine with it hionestly Pete does an ok job with directing B)

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

I can't say that I'd be happy with Travis as the director of BOND 23. He's only got one film under his belt (his second, I believe, is being released this year), which is VANTAGE POINT, which I found to be rather subpar. With the new direction they're currently going in, I think that a film directed by Travis (if it's anything like VANTAGE POINT) would be a huge step backwards.

#4 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:10 AM

I guess he handles action alright. I didn't like Vantage Point, but I blame the script more than anything else.

I'm open to this idea.

#5 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

Meh.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

Meh.

Agreed.

And I think Bond 23 should give that choppy edit style a rest.

#7 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

I just want the next one to keep going in the same direction Campbell and Forster were heading; especially Forster. If they chill out just a little bit with the editing (which I really don't have a problem with in Quantum, despite the fact that we did miss out on some really wonderful visual stuff that Forster and co. captured but cut out) then we could be up for something special. Bond has a unique but wonderful formula that if put in the right hands (Forster was very close) could result in a truly beautiful, exciting, and enjoyable motion picture. There is so much potential for the Bond movies to be more than just run of the mill action movies, I really hope we get a director one day who can craft a truly masterful work that we have twice now been so close to getting.

#8 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

I just want the next one to keep going in the same direction Campbell and Forster were heading; especially Forster. If they chill out just a little bit with the editing (which I really don't have a problem with in Quantum, despite the fact that we did miss out on some really wonderful visual stuff that Forster and co. captured but cut out) then we could be up for something special. Bond has a unique but wonderful formula that if put in the right hands (Forster was very close) could result in a truly beautiful, exciting, and enjoyable motion picture. There is so much potential for the Bond movies to be more than just run of the mill action movies, I really hope we get a director one day who can craft a truly masterful work that we have twice now been so close to getting.

I hope that we can get a director who can accomplish that with BOND 23 as well (although I would certainly welcome Forster back with open arms should he decide to change his mind on the project). Going with a run-of-the-mill action director or a very inexperienced director, which is what Pete Travis is at this point in his career with only one film on his resume, is not the right way to go. I think that the franchise needs another director like Forster who can come in and bring a distinct visual style to the film and one that can keep the films headed in the direction that they're currently going, and maybe even take the franchise further in the current direction rather than trying to backtrack and make a u-turn and head in the GOLDFINGER/THUNDERBALL direction.

#9 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:02 AM

I hope that we can get a director who can accomplish that with BOND 23 as well (although I would certainly welcome Forster back with open arms should he decide to change his mind on the project). Going with a run-of-the-mill action director or a very inexperienced director, which is what Pete Travis is at this point in his career with only one film on his resume, is not the right way to go. I think that the franchise needs another director like Forster who can come in and bring a distinct visual style to the film and one that can keep the films headed in the direction that they're currently going, and maybe even take the franchise further in the current direction rather than trying to backtrack and make a u-turn and head in the GOLDFINGER/THUNDERBALL direction.

Indeed, and on the subject of Travis, I thought Vantage Point was just terrible. As you said, maybe if he took time to refine his methods he could become a competent action director, because he seems to kind of have a feel for what he needs in an action movie. I just don't want him near a Bond movie. B)

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

I thought Vantage Point was just terrible.

I partly agree with you on VANTAGE POINT. I'll admit to being genuinely entertained by the film the first time, but in my second viewing, I found it to be unwatchable. It's a film that is completely built around a gimmick, and it's success or failure as a film is so tied to that gimmick that it makes, at least for me, any more than one viewing impossible.

#11 Manticore

Manticore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Just finished watching Vantage Point tonight, a brilliant movie! Full of interesting characters, camera angles, etc...

Just wondered what you guys thought of Pete Travis as a director for a future Bond movie.

B) I vote for ! VERY good idea. I like this film very much !

#12 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Whilst he should be hung by celluloid for crimes against television for HENRY VIII.... right now this suggestion is not a wrong one....though I have yet to see VANTAGE POINT and have heard nothing but "meh" about it.

#13 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Vantage Point is the dullest thriller ever. So boring, it's 90mins really drags.
The concept is actually quite good and quite exciting, but the execution sucks. The script is awfull, and the direction is TERRIBLE!!! Slow-mo, awfull cutting, black and white moments, bad music, so bad.

#14 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

Vantage Point to me was an OK watchable movie, but nothing more. I don't think this one movie is enough to propel its director into Bond status.

#15 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

I've heard nothing but bad things about Vantage Point myself, but Pete Travis did direct Omagh, a film about the 1998 car bombing in Northern Ireland, which was very well received, not to mention the fact was produced by Paul Greengrass, one of the keepers of the Bourne franchise, which could almost suggest that he comes from a pedigree that might not be badly suited to a franchise like Bond, although I do appreciate the fact that Bond and Bourne are vastly different to one another, although critics of QOS may have a lot to say about that.

If he wasn't tied up directing the Batman movies I would have thought that Chris Nolan would be an excellent choice, and I know from some comments he has made in the past in Empire magazine that he is a Bond fan (he talked about Goldfinger in their Top 200 movie poll a couple of years back). Failing that maybe 24 director Stephen Hopkins (he worked on the first season) might be a good choice, if maybe a bit of a hack for some people's tastes (Nightmare in Elm Street 5 and Predator 2 somewhat go against him). His direction on 24 was superb, especially in the first season finale.

#16 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

The car chase reminds me something of "The Bourne Identity"! You know the Mini Cooper scene. Well normally I'd have said "yes", but I think that we're in a differnent theme in the Bond movies for a couple of years and I wouldn't fancy something that quick and tense!

#17 havok_007

havok_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

Blah! this movie was ok.... nothing special, that scene is pretty average I must say. Bond is spose to be in another league... i don't wanna see this guy directing bond