74 replies to this topic

#1 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

Everyone is assuming fall but remeber the inital release date of Quantum May 2008 perhaps the producers are giving us bond 23 in 2011 not because they want to wait 3 year but because they want to do a spring or even summer.

I feel Daniel Craig Could definitly break the fall mold that was put on during the brosnan years. What are your thoughts?

Is there a reason everyone assumes Fall 2011?

My gut says March 2011.

#2 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

March? I could live with that.

#3 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

I think there are a couple reasons why Bond films tend to be released in the fall (usually November-ish if I'm not mistaken).

The first being that there usually isn't a bucket load of big action blockbusters during November and December. Some are released, yes, but it isn't like in the summer, not even close. People like big action blockbusters, they always make money, especially the Bonds (hooray!), so why not release a Bond when there aren't that many action epics (sometimes none at all) to contend with at the box-office)?

Which brings us to the second point. Why not in the summer? Well, it may have been a long time ago, but I think the producers still have Licence to Kill in the back of their minds. That was a summer release and didn't make extraordinary profits, especially in the North American market, which was flooded with big action sequels in '89. People love Bond movies and they always make a tone of money, but I still think that the safer bet is to release one in the fall for the reason I mention in the above paragraph. I'm not saying a Bond movie would get crushed in the summer, in fact I think it could still make a nice profit. But a Bond movie opening a week or two after Iron Man and a week before Star Trek or whatnot?...I don't know how strong the box-office revenue would be.

The Bond films have a faithful and very strong fanbase, and yet there are often films that end up making more money by year's end. Whether we want to admit it or not (and I can't hide that it's a little painful), but I think there are always more people who want to see an Indiana Jones film, a Batman film or a Harry Potter film, etc. Therefore, take the safer bet and release the Bond film when you probably won't have to wrestle with Indy, Batman or the crew of Star Trek.

Edited by eddychaput, 28 May 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm hoping for a summer release, but I think a November release is more logical, especially after reading the post above. B)

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

November/December may be the safer bet, but I'd still welcome an earlier 2011 release date.

#6 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

The Bond films have a faithful and very strong fanbase, and yet there are often films that end up making more money by year's end. Whether we want to admit it or not (and I can't hide that it's a little painful), but I think there are always more people who want to see an Indiana Jones film, a Batman film or a Harry Potter film, etc.

I know what you mean, but I don't think it should feel too painful. Indiana Jones, Batman or Harry Potter are not on there 23rd installment. (I very much doubt they could sustain 22 films to be honest).
For a great majority of people on this planet, ie all of us that are under 50years old, James Bond is a film series taken for granted. It has always been there. If you miss this Bond film at the cinema, well you see the next one in a few years.
Consequently people live there lives knowing James Bond movies are going to continue to be made. No other series of films is regarded like this. Against this background, if there is a bit more interest in the more current or newer franchises that compete against Bond, I can understand that.

Edited by sthgilyadgnivileht, 28 May 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#7 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Do we know, what is set for summer 2011? Thor..what else? Iron Man? Maybe if there isn´t such a heavy competition..

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

I think we have Spiderman, and Batman 3. Plus, Part II of the Deathly Hallows.

#9 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Well Bond has pretty much owned the Fall markets since Brosnan had his first release then. I think the prods aren't worried about The whole LTK issue anymore. Why would they? After MR the films gradually lost money anyway the last few Bond's Roger did didn't do too greatly, I mean they did well but could have done better. Bond has really become a brand thanks to Brosnan, and now that Craig has pretty much all the critics behind him the box office follows. I think the competetion is strong for Summer 2011:
Thor
Spider Man 4
Deathly Hallows part II
Captain America
Possibly another Batman

But this Summer was pretty cluttered with franchises as was last and the one before. Remember QOS was only delayed from May 2008 becasue they couldn't get a director in time.

#10 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

I hope Early December 2011. That gives the Bond producers plenty of time to make a perfect Bond-flick and not a rsuhed-up Bond film like QOS.

#11 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

Spring/Summer/Winter isn't really important at all, as long as they deliver a good Bond movie. B)

#12 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

Bond seems to be doing well dominating the late November release slot. I can't imagine the studio would want to change it and put Bond unnecessarily against the other summer competition.

Ultimately it will come down to the locations and ability to shoot, I think.

#13 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Nov as I think it will be a "winter" themed 007. Don't ask me why. B)

#14 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

November/December may be the safer bet, but I'd still welcome an earlier 2011 release date.

I'm banking Nov/Dec as well. I severely doubt late spring or early summer. Marvel is planning to release Captain America and Thor in 2011. The Magneto movie is planned for 2011 release. There's just a lot of juggernauts coming out in 2011.

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:06 AM

It's most likely going to be November/December 2011. I don't see them releasing it in the summer, as I don't think the film would make anywhere near the kind of money that it could in the fall.

#16 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

And yet, somehow, Bond always seems more suited to autumn/winter to me - Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB were all autumn/winter releases, at least in the UK. As was your beloved Golden Gun... B)

#17 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

It's most likely going to be November/December 2011. I don't see them releasing it in the summer, as I don't think the film would make anywhere near the kind of money that it could in the fall.

Why? Movie attendance is way up in the summer.

#18 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

Article on the front page suggests Craig's "Tintin" with Spielberg et. al is releasing December 2011.

To me, this suggests strongly we'll see a summer release for Bond. Or at least, they're thinking of aiming for one.

#19 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'm liking the idea of spring. Beat the summer blockbusters. BTW, didn't FRWL open in the US in the spriing of 1964?

#20 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Article on the front page suggests Craig's "Tintin" with Spielberg et. al is releasing December 2011.

To me, this suggests strongly we'll see a summer release for Bond. Or at least, they're thinking of aiming for one.

I'm thinking a summer relase they could easily do bond 23 in 2010 I think they can do a succesfull sumer film with Daniel Craig. let's look at the facts

1. May 2008 Was the first release date for bond 22

2. Bond 23 was rumoured for a Sumer 2010 release date.

3. Bond 23 is delayed to 2011 but MGW intially say it could be spring summer or even fall 2011.

I say all this might mean a March -may 2011 release date.

And for the "oh but the competion is too much" crowd name me 2 big movies coming out March of next year let alone march 2011.

#21 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Bond 23 wasn't delayed, they said they were taking a break and that's what they're doing. An August Bond release would be a good way to cap off the summer (Bourne Ultimatum did so and did well) but November is obviously the most likely. Can't say I am all that beat up about it seeing as directing and casting rumors will probably begin around this time next year, anyway, and afterall the build up is the most enjoyable part.

#22 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

Bond 23 wasn't delayed, they said they were taking a break and that's what they're doing. An August Bond release would be a good way to cap off the summer (Bourne Ultimatum did so and did well) but November is obviously the most likely. Can't say I am all that beat up about it seeing as directing and casting rumors will probably begin around this time next year, anyway, and afterall the build up is the most enjoyable part.

I don't believe that this is a delay either. Wilson said that he wanted to take a year off before beginning work on BOND 23, which, as you said, appears to be what they're doing. As far as I'm concerned, 2011 has always been the EON target date for the film. The studio may have felt differently (whoever that is going to be this time around), but I seriously think that EON has always planned on a 2011 release. My guess is that we'll see a November/December 2011 release.

#23 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

What is it with this notion of a summer release? The Bond movies are fine where they are, in the autumn. Less competition and greater chance for BO profit. Now, the summer of 2011 even 2010 is going to be brutal. Sure, Bond can hold his own but he'll fare better in the autumn. Why put him in that summer mix just for the sake of it? It makes no sense.

#24 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

Bond movies are always summer releases here in Australia.

October to April is Summer here in Sydney!

B)

#25 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Well, lets take a look at the possibilities and what's already set for 2011 (all based on comingsoon.net's listings):

Spring (March/ April) - Sucker Punch (Zach Snyder's follow-up to Watchmen) opening at the end of March.

Early Summer (May/ June) - Spider-man 4 and Thor both opening in May, plus Martin Campbell's Green Lantern is in June.

Late Summer (July/ August) - The final Harry Potter and Captain America both open in mid July. Also possibility of Transformers on the first weekend of July. Nothing yet for August though.

Early Fall (September/ October) - Nothing yet.

Late Fall/ Winter (November/ December) - November only has a few animated films set at the moment. December is already crowded with The Hobbit and Spielberg's Tintin both having set dates then.

Plus, the next Batman and Star Trek films are currently set for sometime in 2011. I'm predicting a November date for Batman, and a June/ July date for Star Trek.

So, it's starting to get tight. Hopefully we'll know sooner or later when the actual date will be. Now, I wouldn't be surprised though if the studio held out for a 2012 release to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Dr. No.

#26 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Despite what Wilson said, I reckon this film's coming out in 2010.

#27 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

the new news has me convinced of that too

#28 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'm holding onto hope, but I'm not getting my hopes too far up, just in case.

#29 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

They haven't even started writing the damn thing yet, pre-production would have to be at a reasonably advanced stage by now for a shoot starting Jan 2010 and release later in the year.

#30 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:22 AM

They haven't even started writing the damn thing yet, pre-production would have to be at a reasonably advanced stage by now for a shoot starting Jan 2010 and release later in the year.

They may have started writing. If the announcement was made yesterday, it's fair to assume they may have already begun at the very least drafting story ideas. After all, they usually don't announce a director until work has already begun, and they usually don't announce the actors until they're pretty well into filming. And even if the decision was only made yesterday, by now Morgan or P&W may have started work. The fact of the matter is we have no idea what any of them are up to. Unless of course you have spy cameras in their bedrooms. In which case I am calling you SPECTRE from now on.