4 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

I just finished reading "By Royal Command" a few minutes ago and had to comment on what a GREAT book this last Young Bond novel is! The story was intriguing, the characters were multi-facted, and I loved the use of other characters from the previous books, as well as how this event set him up to become a spy. Charles Higson really outdid himself and he totally met my high expectations for this last entry. This was the story I was waiting for and I wasn't disappointed.

P.S. Since I'm in America, the book isn't released until 2010. I'm so glad I decided not to wait and instead order the UK version as a birthday gift to myself!

#2 Sir James Molony

Sir James Molony

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

Just want to second your review. As a fan of the Fleming books, I was extremely impressed by the Higson series. Many nods to Fleming's Bond in both tone and content. I rank "Double or Die" as my favorite of the series, but "By Royal Command" is a close second. Higson's work is miles better than the Sebastian Faulks travesty.

BTW, I'm in the US also and ordered them from Amazon.co.uk last year (along with the Moneypenny Diaries). Well worth the price.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

BRC has been available in Oz for a while now and I would have thought that the exchange rate between the US and Aussie dollar would have made a purchase much attractive than the conversion from the pound sterling.

Anyway, I'm glad the YB series has ended, seemingly, on a high. I guess (if you are like me and have yet to read any of the YB's or DMC) if one HAS to read Devil May Care they should read it first, get it out of the way, then tackle the YB series. That's my plan....eventually.

#4 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

Higson's the man to take over on grown up Bond, he actually does Fleming justice ... unlike that guy that that devil may something something.

#5 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

i just finished double or die which i loved. silverfin was good but blood fever and double or die have really been great, truly do fleming proud. look forward to reading hurricane gold and by royal command at some point in the future.