18 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Quantum benefiting from the crises or threatening the world from an epidemic can work I think.

73 Petroluem crises were used in TMWTGG, and epidemics in a way in OHMSS. Why not now ? I bored of "valuable resources" and revenge stories.

#2 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Bond vs. Swine Flu!

#3 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

No.

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

MI2 did the whole man-made pandemic thing using Australia as a ginny pig(terrible film). It would be a good plot device but not exactly original.

#5 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

MI2 did the whole man-made pandemic thing using Australia as a ginny pig(terrible film). It would be a good plot device but not exactly original.

That's what the film was about?!? I always fall asleep when trying to watch that film, now I kind of want to see it. But it seems to mostly consist of Tom Cruise walking around trying to look cool.

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

That's what the film was about?!? I always fall asleep when trying to watch that film, now I kind of want to see it. But it seems to mostly consist of Tom Cruise walking around trying to look cool.

Yes, That is the real plot. B)

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

If you want to use a pandemic, don't just have some super-virus tearing across South-East Asia like wildfire. Go the whole nine yards and have something truly terrifying: counterfeit medicine. There was a case a while ago where a Chinese chemical company that was trying to supply the base ingredients of a simple cough medicine decided to cut costs by seeking out alternative materials. They settled on an industral-grade substitute that rather unfortunately turned out to be toxic to humans, and all in the name of making a quick buck; the owner of the company had nothig more at his disposal than a simple chemistry textbook. The contaminated medicine found its way to Panama, where it killed over three hundred people before it was discovered. I find it disturbing as hell: something intended to cure us is instead killing us and we don't even know it.

A while ago I wrote a treatment for a re-imagined DIE ANOTHER DAY that did something like this. It involved Bond going into North Korea to assassinate Tan-Sun Moon, who survived being shot by way of a blood transfusion. Bond himself is dying of blood loss and has to make it to the DMZ by foot. Six months later, a car accident claims the lives of three people in a family of four; their thirteen year-old daughter survives but needs a new liver after she was critically injured. By some miracle, her body adopts the host liver's immune system, providing hope of a cure for HIV and AIDS. Unfortunately for her, Tan-Sun Moon's blood transfusion was tainted with AIDS, and is killing him very quickly. He'll be long dead by the time a cure is made, and so angry that he will not live to see Korea united under the North, he decides to very publicly kill the little girl - on live television - at the same time as he taints blood and medical supplies on the peninsula with his own contaminated blood. Bond, still on the continent and undergoing treatment for his ordeal, is rattled by Moon's return and has to save the young girl before Moon can kill her.

#8 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Personally, I don't want to see either. It would just show that the producers are running out of ideas. They could mention the economic crisis or swine flu in the next movie, but not as a major plot point. Let's get something original and interesting...

#9 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Personally, I don't want to see either. It would just show that the producers are running out of ideas. They could mention the economic crisis or swine flu in the next movie, but not as a major plot point. Let's get something original and interesting...

What he said.

#10 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

If you want to use a pandemic, don't just have some super-virus tearing across South-East Asia like wildfire. Go the whole nine yards and have something truly terrifying: counterfeit medicine.

Basic plot of "The Third Man" B)

#11 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

Yes, That is the real plot. B)

Oddly enough I re-watched it lately. I swear to God, his hair alone should have received second billing on the cast list. It spent more time as shot subject/frame focus than Luthor/Billy combined. Plus, I think at one point it punched a guy!

#12 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

The economic crisis would be difficult to have as a major plot line. After all we know who the villians are.
As the problem is in the UK and the perpurtrators are British the case would be investigated by MI5 not MI6.

I touched upon the economic crisis in the Fanfic
"To Kill and Die for"; as a sub plot to the Russians wanting to foreclose on loans taken out by British Banks for the purpode of raising cash to instigate attacks on former satallite countries.
I also hinted at the scenario that a Banking CEO was in the employ of the Russians and was influencing British investments.
This theme will carry on in my next story (but how I deal with the MI5 / MI6 angle I have yet to understand)
Still back to Bond 23.

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Why mention swine flu? It's old news now.

#14 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

What he said.

B)

I'd rather hear something about the crisis than the stupid/fake flu.

#15 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

As far as epidemics are concerned I can sse this beiing micxed with fleming for a much cooler take on the global pandemic idea.

Basically Dr Gutham Von Shatterhand (a quantum Opperative) is working on devising the ultimate global pandemic and the cure for a pandemic in order to allow quantum to get rich off the cure. In order to do so he as a garden of Death and uses this garden to study the effect of various poisonus plants on people.

It might be cool.

with the ecnomic crisis i see elemnt from the much beloved third dalton film being used here in a semi different way. Imagine a computer virus that if infacted in to the ecnomic servers can litteraly be undetectable and can make certain stocks rise or fall depending on what the person controling the virus wants.

#16 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

There's a story in the papers today with some Australian scientist (Gibbs?) claiming that the Swine Flu virus was created when Roche (?) was working on the Tamiflu drug... he implies that the release may or may not have been accidenta...

#17 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

There's a story in the papers today with some Australian scientist (Gibbs?) claiming that the Swine Flu virus was created when Roche (?) was working on the Tamiflu drug... he implies that the release may or may not have been accidenta...

Thats something ı was talking about. Not swine flu.

Also the economic crises maybe just the background not the main subject ofcourse. I like when Bond films are related with something to their time.

#18 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Note how the swine flu business lasted about three weeks, at least here in the States.

#19 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

There have been too many dangerous viruses already, both in real life - SARS, bird flu, swine flu - and in fiction - think Outbreak, 24 - so having it in the next Bond two years from now would seem really lame.

Only this week, I saw 'The Summit' - with Bruce Greenwood and Christopher Plummer - about terrorists attacking a G8 summit in Canada with a virus. It's not original enough for Bond anymore.