3 replies to this topic

#1 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:39 AM

In an episode of "The West Wing," one of favorite writers, Aaron Sorkin, opines that Bond's standard martini order is flawed. Shaking a martini chips the ice and makes it melt faster. "Bond's just ordering a watered-down martini and being snooty about it."

I think I've figured it out. (If someone else already has, please don't think I'm stealing from them. I ciphered this out all on my own.) Bond orders his martinis that way so that they get colder faster. So he can drink them earlier. And Bond's not a man to sip a martini. He won't leave one around long enough to get "watered down." He gulps them, to get numb, to deaden the pain, to make what he does for a living tolerable. Bond's not drinking to relax. He's drinking to forget.

What say you all?

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

Ahhh Wade old friend.

It's been discussed again and again around here, but you are correct about the chilling effect. It goes down smooth, but also is a delayed reaction. The body has to warm alcohol for it to be absorbed and render any effect.

I wrap my shaker in a towel and some friends actually wear gloves to hold a steel shaker. A good thirty second shake will melt your fingerprints off.

Also, as proved in QoS, Bond follows an old saying during his six on the flight as he reflects on the picture of Vesper and her necklace.

"Don't drink to forget. Drink to remember."

Bond has been known to slug back a martini, but truly, it is to be sipped. A properly poured one takes just about four sips before it loses the chill.

#3 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:03 AM

I always stir mine not shake.
It leaves the drink a little more pure. Oh sorry, my answer has ziltch to do with the thread title.

I agree with Bryce -
"I wrap my shaker in a towel and some friends actually wear gloves to hold a steel shaker. A good thirty second shake will melt your fingerprints off."

...I think. :tdown: B)

#4 007½

007½

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

Apparently, shaking a martini makes it cloudy, where stirring it makes it clear. I don't know. That's just what my Welsh teacher told me.