153 replies to this topic

#151 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

I must add that I love both movies. I am a big fan of all 22 of the Bond films, but LTK is certainly an excellent film. I love the revenge theme in this one, and Davi is a great villain. To me it's exotic - and that is an important part. Because many of the people who have a problem with LTK is that it's too close to home (ie they live in the US) and too similar to 80's drug movies and Miami Vice. Having not seen any 80's drug movies or Miami Vice must, I suppose, help me to appreciate LTK a lot more.

For you Davi's character is 'exotic', for me he's simply way too tacky for the EON series- albeit for something like Die Hard, he's just fine-. And I say this as someone who lives very far from the US (in fact, I live much more close to the south pole, than the States).

Davi's character ends up in Son of the Pink Panther too, does he not?

#152 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, 50,000 skin grafts later, he was as good as new.

#153 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

I have tried to like it, and it certainly improves by seeing it in in the DVD restoration, as opposed to the old VHS version I first watched, but it just doesn't come together for me the way that "The Living Daylights" does.

Ahhh! TLD, the last "romantic" Bond film before CR. B)

I'll say it again, if there's no Dalton from 87-89, then you don't have Craig.

True enough (to both points).

#154 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have tried to like it, and it certainly improves by seeing it in in the DVD restoration, as opposed to the old VHS version I first watched, but it just doesn't come together for me the way that "The Living Daylights" does.

Ahhh! TLD, the last "romantic" Bond film before CR. :tdown:

I'll say it again, if there's no Dalton from 87-89, then you don't have Craig.

True enough (to both points).

Not sure I agree with the Dalton-Craig hypothesis. I think more to the point is, there'd be no attempt at a more hard-edged Fleming Bond if EON doesn't go increasingly Moore for 7 films. B) Dalton and Craig may both be aimed at the same Bond target (not really IMO, just to go with it), but Dalton falls too short for any direct or even indirect connection IMO. Lazenby's Bond would be a more fitting comparison, but even that's a poor fit as they shoehorned in all those cheesy one-liners, detracted from the meat of his surprisingly emotional portrayal. I guess it's easier for me to elide over VO exit lines like "Beluga caviar, north of the Caspian" than Mooreish extended silly stunt scenes involving cars sprouting skis and lassoing planes in mid-air... Bond just doesn't spend his time doing crap like that in my universe. :tdown: