48 replies to this topic

#31 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've watched "Quantum of Solace" (nine times in the theatre and probably at least as many times on DVD), and I only just now noticed that as Bond is driving toward the airport in Haiti and is talking with Tanner and M on his cell, we see what Tanner and M see on the MI6 computer screen flashing across Bond's windshield.

A question I've had for a while now: On the airport black-and-white monitor, we briefly see a woman at the desk, with a man running up behind her with what looks like a bouquet of flowers. There appears to be some confusion going on. What is the significance of that? Is it that MI6 in effect took their charter and gave it to Bond, hence them missing their flight?

Edited by byline, 28 May 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#32 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

A question I've had for a while now: On the airport black-and-white monitor, we briefly see a woman at the desk, with a man running up behind her with what looks like a bouquet of flowers. There appears to be some confusion going on. What is the significance of that? Is it that MI6 in effect took their charter and gave it to Bond, hence them missing their flight?

Where in the film is this moment?

#33 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

Where in the film is this moment?

It's right after the boat chase, when Bond is tailing Greene to the airport in Haiti and talking with Tanner and M on his cell. M tells Tanner to charter a flight for Bond, then tells Bond she would appreciate it if he wouldn't kill every possible lead. He says he'll do his best, M says she's heard that before. As Greene is taking off in the jet with Beam and Leiter (or maybe that's Bond taking off in the charter; not sure), then we briefly see a black-and-white monitor showing what I described above. I'm assuming that's back at the airport, but it's a really quick shot, so it's hard to tell.

Edited by byline, 28 May 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#34 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

it's a really quick shot, so it's hard to tell.

Like most shots in QoS B)

Ah I notice the shot you mean. Interesting, I wonder if it is meant to signify something to do with Bond's charter

#35 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

it's a really quick shot, so it's hard to tell.

Like most shots in QoS B)

Ah I notice the shot you mean. Interesting, I wonder if it is meant to signify something to do with Bond's charter

I wonder if it means that, rather than waiting for Tanner to arrange the charter, Bond just grabs another jet and flies it himself. After all, we know he can fly a plane, and he has this can-do thing for not waiting for others to do what he can do himself.

I think I just answered my own question. . . .

#36 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

But would a plane he just happened to take have the fuel capacity to fly from Haiti to Austria? That may be reading a bit too much into all this.

#37 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

But would a plane he just happened to take have the fuel capacity to fly from Haiti to Austria? That may be reading a bit too much into all this.

Probably. So now, back to my question: Does anyone know what significance, if any, that brief shot of the black-and-white monitor held?

#38 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

When I saw it in the theater, I never understood why Fields tripped Elvis at the party. On DVD I finally saw Greene beckon to Elvis while saying the line "damaged goods," and realized he must have intended Elvis to attack Bond and/or Camille. Because the moment is so quick--and because I find Elvis to be one of the least menacing henchmen in Bond history--I didn't spot it originally. But now the tripping makes sense.

#39 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:59 AM

When I saw it in the theater, I never understood why Fields tripped Elvis at the party. On DVD I finally saw Greene beckon to Elvis while saying the line "damaged goods," and realized he must have intended Elvis to attack Bond and/or Camille. Because the moment is so quick--and because I find Elvis to be one of the least menacing henchmen in Bond history--I didn't spot it originally. But now the tripping makes sense.

I noticed that also when watching it on bluray with the hand gesture. elvis is such an awesome character.

#40 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

I noticed that also when watching it on bluray with the hand gesture. elvis is such an awesome character.

Good catch, both of you! I still haven't seen that. Guess I'll have to get out the DVD one more time, LOL!

In one of the other threads, someone questioned why Bond mentioned Fields' bravery to M, because they didn't feel she was especially brave. But I think this points to the fact that she was. Even though she wasn't a trained agent, she kept her eyes and ears open and did everything she could to protect Bond. I kept half-expecting that, as with Pam in "Licence to Kill," Fields would turn into this petulant, jealous child as soon as she saw Bond with Camille, but instead she intuitively seemed to understand that Greene was a threat, and as you point out, his motioning to Elvis tipped her off that Elvis was up to no good, so she put herself in harm's way by tripping him on the staircase. Fields didn't have to do that, but she did.

#41 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

haha, I didn't know any of this.

#42 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

It just says

R. Sterling

Bond has used the name Robert Sterling a number of times

I last saw Bond use the Sterling ailias in TSWLM, and I haven't seen it before or since, until QOS.

#43 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

Nope, Bond only used the name R. Sterling and any variations of this in The Spy Who Loved Me and Quantum of Solace. B)

#44 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

When talking to Greene, Medrano says:

"My country is not some fly-speck in the middle of the Caribbean."

A reference to Doctor No's Crab Key perhaps?

#45 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

I noticed "R. Sterling" on the Universal Exports card Bond gives to the guy at the gate.

Elvis' heart-shaped belt buckle B)

Yusef's reaction when Bond pulls out the Algerian love knot. I thought it was hilarious.

#46 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

Oh! What Sharp little ears you've got. B)

Nice find.

#47 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Maybe, but I doubt it. They are in Haiti, a tiny country in the middle of Caribbean, discussing what Greene and the like have been doing.

#48 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:37 AM

I thought I'd put it down here anyway.

#49 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:09 AM

Maybe, but I doubt it. They are in Haiti, a tiny country in the middle of Caribbean, discussing what Greene and the like have been doing.

Yeah, Medrano is saying that what Quantum has done in Haiti is not necessarily what can be done in his country.