35 replies to this topic

#31 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Zorin, while you're undoubtedly correct that Eon has "juggled" and "developed" projects for donkey's years, how come the company has not actually managed to make anything non-Bond since.... well, since ever?

I mean, it's not as though Broccoli and co. are poor, under-resourced folk struggling away at the slippery coalface of indieprod - they're just about the most successful filmmakers of all time.

I'm not taking a dig at them or being a petulant fan who only cares about a new 007 outing every two years, or whatever, but I'm genuinely baffled as to why Eon, with all its phenomenal success and money and clout, should have failed to realise any of these many side projects to which you allude, if indeed Eon has genuinely been attempting for years to make non-Bond films.

Yes, yes, I know full well that making a film isn't simply a matter of clicking one's fingers, and that reversals happen even to the mighty, yaddayadda, but if Eon can't get a couple of non-Bond efforts off the ground after allegedly trying to do so for decades, then count me somewhat perplexed.

It is only in the last couple or so years that Eon have been developing commercially viable projects with a first look deal at - I believe - Columbia - of which REMOTE CONTROL is (maybe) the first one off the starting blocks.

And yes, whilst Eon are ludicrously successful and adept at what they do, they still have to mount pitches, meetings, proposals and money-sourcing sessions the same as everyone else. Clout only gets you so far if a studio development honcho is digging in his or her heels (which has happened to Bond almost since day one). Clout does not guarantee anything - as I know firsthand.

There are also in-house dynamics - the parameters of which have no doubt changed at Eon HQ in the last few years.

#32 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

<<And isn't all of this a bit of fanboy petulance about a potential delay to BOND 23 as if EON Productions have been anointed by Moses himself to come down from the mountain every two years and chuck out another 007 film?>>

Or, in other words, resort to insults when you hear arguments you don't agree with.

<<"Limited creative bandwith"...? Well when you have produced over 20 VERY successful films over 50 years we can compare track records.>>

How many successul films did producer/directors like Alfred Hitchock, John Ford and Howard Hawks do over 50 years. Eon doesn't have a monpoly on success.

Excellent points all around, Mr. Solo, and facts that are difficult to dispute.

Based on all prior history, they are micro-managers and more than one project is not something they can handle (and I do not mean that in any insulting manner).

It is a pity that they may miss the 50th anniversary, unless they do a four year break.

#33 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

<<And isn't all of this a bit of fanboy petulance about a potential delay to BOND 23 as if EON Productions have been anointed by Moses himself to come down from the mountain every two years and chuck out another 007 film?>>

Or, in other words, resort to insults when you hear arguments you don't agree with.

<<"Limited creative bandwith"...? Well when you have produced over 20 VERY successful films over 50 years we can compare track records.>>

How many successul films did producer/directors like Alfred Hitchock, John Ford and Howard Hawks do over 50 years. Eon doesn't have a monpoly on success.

Excellent points all around, Mr. Solo, and facts that are difficult to dispute.

Based on all prior history, they are micro-managers and more than one project is not something they can handle (and I do not mean that in any insulting manner).

It is a pity that they may miss the 50th anniversary, unless they do a four year break.

This 50th anniversary notion is just that - a notion. There is no reason why Eon need to make a Bond film to mark 2012. DIE ANOTHER DAY was their Ruby gesture, but has since been marked as a film Eon felt saw them stagnating and in a rut. It is also a film that is distractingly loaded with homages / nods to Bond's past which oddly dates DIE ANOTHER DAY more awkwardly than the films it is referencing. Bond didn't bother with his 10th or 30th anniversary so why the tearing need to honour the 50th? Besides, what is to say Eon do not have plans to mark that landmark in all sorts of ways - and none of them need be a Bond film.

And whilst we are on the subject of Eon's track records versus the likes of Hitchcock, John Ford and Howard Hawks - that is sort of a futile argument as those names were directors, not production houses. And they were directors who produced films that were not so successful.

Did George Lucas bring out a STAR WARS film in 2007? Did Spielberg make CRYSTAL SKULL in order to tie in with the Silver Anniversary of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK? No. Of course not. Whilst Eon may want to mark the 50th anniversary since DR NO (and why shouldn't they), they are not obliged to try and coordinate a Bond film to come out that year.

And for the record, there is NOTHING "micro" about the way Eon Productions manage themselves or their output.

#34 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Eon have been developing non-Bond scripts for quite a while now. I could rattle off some names and projects, but I'm not doing that here.

Another technique on message boards where someone says they have inside knowledge but says they're above actually proving it.

Maybe you, maybe you don't. You're still being insulting with phrases like "fanboy petulence."

And whilst we are on the subject of Eon's track records versus the likes of Hitchcock, John Ford and Howard Hawks - that is sort of a futile argument as those names were directors, not production houses. And they were directors who produced films that were not so successful.

All three of the gentlemen in question formed production companies. For example, Hitchock wasn't just the host of Alfred Hitchock Presents on television. His company (in association with Universal) produced the show. He was active in selecting short stories to be adapted. The credits read, "An Alfred Hitchcock Production."

#35 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

Eon have been developing non-Bond scripts for quite a while now. I could rattle off some names and projects, but I'm not doing that here.

Another technique on message boards where someone says they have inside knowledge but says they're above actually proving it.

Maybe you, maybe you don't. You're still being insulting with phrases like "fanboy petulence." Or, put another way, you're heavy on insults and light on facts, merely asserting you're an insider of sorts at Eon.

All three of the gentlemen in question formed production companies. For example, Hitchock wasn't just the host of Alfred Hitchock Presents on television. His company (in association with Universal) produced the show. He was active in selecting short stories to be adapted. The credits read, "An Alfred Hitchcock Production."

#36 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

Jerry Bruckheimer

a quick example

Edited by Eurospy, 15 May 2009 - 09:48 PM.