16 replies to this topic

#1 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:29 AM

Ever since I got into Young Bond, I really thought they should make a movie out of the books. Well today, as I sit in the theatre watching 'A Haunting in Connecticut', I found (in my opinion) a great looking candidate for Bond. His name is Erik J. Berg, and I thought, if his hair was black and messy, he'd look like the illustration on the cover.

Here's more on him: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1445048/

Your mission: go and see (if you haven't already) 'A Haunting in Connecticut'. It was actually pretty good, and heartwarming, too. Erik plays Jonah. You don't get to see him till about one fourth of the movie is over, but it is sooooo worth it. Well, it was to me. Near the end, about twenty minutes before the end credits roll, you get a close up of his face. He has dark hair in the movie, and he looks pretty authentic. Anyone have any other YB candidates? I'd love to see them (:

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

I've seen the film and I don't think he would work. He's blond.

"But so is Daniel Craig!" you say?

Daniel Craig's James Bond is Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in the 21st Century.

Young Bond is Ian Fleming's James Bond. Period.

When they do cast SilverFin, they're going to cast an unknown British actor like they did for Harry Potter. You can quote me on that.

EDIT: I thought the actor in question was the main character's brother not Jonah. However, my statement stills stands regardless of his hair color because Erik J. Berg is Canadian.

Edited by Righty007, 12 April 2009 - 03:45 AM.

#3 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hair dye!

Eh, I thought he looked the part. And he's not very well known. Who knows, as long as they make a YB movie, I'll be ecstatic.

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

Hair dye!

Eh, I thought he looked the part. And he's not very well known. Who knows, as long as they make a YB movie, I'll be ecstatic.

I originally thought the actor in question was the main character's brother not Jonah (Berg). However, my statement stills stands regardless of his hair color because Erik J. Berg is Canadian.

EDIT: Berg is also too old. He's 18 in 2009 and they would have to make 5 Young Bond films, which means he would be playing a 14 year old while in his mid-20s!

#5 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hair dye!

I originally thought the actor in question was the main character's brother not Jonah (Berg). However, my statement stills stands regardless of his hair color because Erik J. Berg is Canadian.

EDIT: Berg is also too old. He's 18 in 2009 and they would have to make 5 Young Bond films, which means he would be playing a 14 year old while in his mid-20s!

Well, Zac Efron is in HSM, and he is like 21. But I guess that's kinda different... ok, REALLY different. But just talking about the (Erik Berg's) face, would he look good as YB? I think so. He has the roundish face like the book covers. And maybe, just maybe, he has that wonderful talent of faking an accent. Ah well, you can't win 'em all.

Any suggestions for a Young Bond?

Edited by Della Leiter, 12 April 2009 - 04:11 AM.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

Berg's face works but the Young Bond actor will need other important traits that Berg does not have like a proper age and nationality.

I have no suggestions for Young Bond because I don't know of any young British male actors.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

He may be getting too old now, but I've always thought Thomas Sangster would be a great Young Bond. There was an episode of the new Doctor Who where he ran around in action as a school boy, and it was like a Kev Walker illustration come to life. Also a very good young actor.

Attached Files

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

He may be getting too old now, but I've always thought Thomas Sangster would be a great Young Bond. There was an episode of the new Doctor Who where he ran around in action as a school boy, and it was like a Kev Walker illustration come to life. Also a very good young actor.

My God, zencat, you and I are exactly on the same page. This is the chap I was going to suggest when I saw this thread. The kid’s dead on Young Bond.

By the way, the Doctor Who episodes he was in were ‘Human Nature’ and ‘The Family of Blood’.

And he’s blond. B)

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

He looks too dainty to be Young Bond, IMO.

#10 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

How about Leonardo DiCaprio? Ya I know he is in his 30s, but he still looks 12 B)

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

#12 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

I am with Zencat and Asterix on this one! He was a brilliant actor in Love Actually. A very good actor. Reminds me of the graphic novel version of Silverfin. And I dont think you have to be full of muscle to play a young bond. Lets rememeber its a Young Bond, and not a Daniel Craig popping out of the water.

The above clip could be Bond at Eton!

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 17 April 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#13 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

Good choice, but I'm still going to root for Erik Berg. He looks like a little kid, even if he is eighteen. Most guys can play 14-16 year olds when they're around 23, if they have the right face.

I've heard they're considering Daniel Radcliffe for the role. I'd still see him as Harry Potter in a YB movie. Now HE looks too old!

#14 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I am yet to read any of these books, but I hope they won't be turned into movies personally. The only kind of spin off I'd think I enjoy seeing from the series is a Felix Leiter movie.

I remember some rumours years ago where the press claimed Orlando Bloom was considered to star in a Young Bond series. Guess they didn't read the books either.

#15 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

The Ghost Who Walk, why not have a bash at reading them? Then you might find you think they would work great as a film? I do. I wasnt to keen on the idea of a Young Bond. That was until I read the books. Top notch I can tell you.

#16 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Well, I've become a lot more interested in reading them after seeing some of the praise they get here, from you and other members, so I will see if I can find a copy of the first book in the local shop for used books.

No matter how good they are, I fear film adaptations could go into James Bond Jr. territory (though I loved that show as a kid), with a style and tone that is basically a regular Bond movie aimed at children. You know how Hollywood can screw anything up.

#17 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Personally I'd prefer the YB books to be adapted into animated movies as opposed to live action.