41 replies to this topic

#1 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Would you prefer a Fleming title, even a weak one, over a non-Fleming title for Bond 23?

For example, would an original title be worse than "007 in New York"?

Is "The Property of a Lady" better than something like "Shaken, Not Stirred"?

#2 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Nothing would be worse than 007 in New York (though Shaken, Not Stirred might be!). Risico would be the way to go in my eyes, easy for people to remember, would look good on a poster and has a nice, simple ring to it.

#3 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

In my opinion, both 007 in New York and Risico are absolutely cringe-worthy. Regardless of my feelings regarding The Property of a Lady and The Hildebrand Rarity, I believe that we're best returning to non-Fleming titles from here on out. Honestly, it's time to start dreaming up some truly original and truly inspired titles.

#4 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

Agreed. I hope it is a new created title, something that will surprise because we already know and have seen the names Risico, Property of a Lady, etc. till the beginnings of time by now.

#5 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I hope they go with a Fleming title. It would be great if the entire Craig era had a fleming title.

#6 Vanya86

Vanya86

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Well first and foremost I want a good title that suits the film. I would like to see Property of a Lady used for example, but the last thing I want is a tacked on title with a tenuous justification just to get some Fleming in there. So if the story is about paying off double agents with art treasures, or at least a MacGuffin belonging to a female character then great, if not then I'd rather see an original title.

#7 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

Wasnt one of the Brosnan movies named after the title of one of the chapters in a Benson book? I'm pretty sure. The franchise outside of Flem has many worthy titles to mine and many great stories. Call me a heretic but I would love to see some of the other author's works on screen and not just in bits and pieces like we have seen thus far.

#8 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH was actually taken from the English translation of Bond's family motto in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, which was 'Orbis non Suffict'. Benson had originally intended to use THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH as a book title for the same reasons, but by then the film was being made, so he demoted it to a chapter title.

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

I think "The Hildebrand Rarity" is the best of the remaining titles, but I'd be happy with a Fleming-inspired title, like "For Special Services" or "GoldenEye" or "The World is Not Enough". Maybe a chapter title. "Shatterhand"? "The Death Collector"? Or an unused title. "My Enemy's Enemy"? "Trigger Finger"?

The literary Bonds have had some good titles in recent years ("By Royal Command", "Devil May Care", "Secret Servant"), so it's possible to come up with something Fleming-esque without it sounding like a Brosnan title.

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

It would be great if the entire Craig era had a fleming title.

Yes, I agree. Some connective tissue with Fleming at least.

#11 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

A rumour relayed the other day was...

THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL

#12 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Personnaly I'd prefer a fleming title. Risico is cool Property of a lady is cool I love the chapter title and The Hildebrand rarity.

and call me crazy but 007 in New York is growing on me I can't be the only one who intiall hated this title but with the current fan posters has slowly started to like the title.

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

TDITD is quite Fleming-ish actually. BUT I think I'd rather have a Fleming title. The Hildebrand Rarity is the best of the batch, personaly. I'd wouldn't mind any really, minus the dreadful '007 in New York'.

#14 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

TDITD is quite Fleming-ish actually. BUT I think I'd rather have a Fleming title. The Hildebrand Rarity is the best of the batch, personaly. I'd wouldn't mind any really, minus the dreadful '007 in New York'.

My fave out of the batch will always bee The Hildebrand Rarity.

#15 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

Would you prefer a Fleming title, even a weak one, over a non-Fleming title for Bond 23?

I would prefer if EON Productions would not be so damn cheap and consider a Gardner or Benson story for BOND 23. They would have stories available for the next decade or two.

#16 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

I would prefer if EON Productions would not be so damn cheap and consider a Gardner or Benson story for BOND 23. They would have stories available for the next decade or two.

Agreed. John Gardner's Nobody Lives Forever would be a great continuation novel to adapt as a follow-up to Quantum of Solace.

#17 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

my only concern with having a gardner or benson title is it would mean i might never get The Hildebrand rarity or Risico as film title. which is a shame as ifeel 3 out of the 4 fleming titles are great and would work well for the Craig era.

#18 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Some part of me would love to see all of Craig's films have Fleming or Fleming-derived titles (perhaps the latter, since the actual true Fleming titles we have left are lackluster, to say the least).

But if it were something as neat as THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL, I'm on board.

#19 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

It is the very reason that Eon Productions are NOT cheap that they are not using any of the Gardner stories. It would be the death knell for the series if we went down that route.

I'm liking THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL as a title.

#20 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

i also like the Detail in the Devil.

Still would prefer The property of a lady or Risico.

#21 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

A rumour relayed the other day was...

THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL

Haven't heard that rumor, but I like it.

I am torn between a non-Fleming title or one of the remainders, especially after all the hell that was given to QoS. I do like the last few titles, except OO7 In New York.I still support one of the more Bondian chapter titles or un-used Fleming titles: THE ROUGH WITH THE SMOOTH for example.

#22 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

Why pay extra to get the rights to a pastiche when they can just hire a screenwriter to write one? Fleming's stories were the unique products of a very strange mind--Gardner and Benson's aren't. Any screenwriter can try doing what they did and is no likelier to fail.

Anyway, we have lots of Fleming titles left. As I never tire of saying, the filmmakers can easily use a chapter title. Several examples are listed below, and while obviously not all of these will appeal to everyone, and some will hate some and like others, they're a decent pool to choose from.

A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
The Eye That Never Sleeps
Death Is So Permanent
The Slaughterer
The Wizard of Ice
Black on Pink
Horizons of Agony
The Long Scream
Slave-Time
Crime de la Crime
Take It Easy, Mr.Bond
Cardboard Hero
How to Eat a Girl
Naked Warfare
The Gambit of Shame
Death for Breakfast
Fork Left for Hell
Blood-Lift
Hell's Delight
All the Time In the World
Slay it with Flowers
Blood and Thunder
The Stars Foretell

#23 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Agreed on the fact that there's a lot of great chapter titles to use for a film title. The only two short story titles left that I'd like to see used as titles would be THE HILDEBRAND RARITY and RISICO (although I'm not overly enthusiastic about either one as titles, but they would be OK). There is a lot of great potential titles in the list above, however. My choices from the list above would be:

A WHISPER OF HATE

A WHISPER OF LOVE (both together I think is a bit too long for a film title, but I would love to see EON do another two-film storyline and use these as the titles for the two films)

THE SLAUGHTERER (a title that I think could potentially be a good title if they go a certain direction with BOND 23. What I'd like to see is QUANTUM hire out someone to deal with Bond as he's posing too many problems for their organization, and it basically turns into what THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN should have been, which is Bond being stalked by the QUANTUM-hired hitman around the globe while Bond tries to find out who ordered the hit, who the hitman actually is, and what he can do to stop it).

THE GAMBIT OF SHAME

Edited by tdalton, 07 April 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#24 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Why pay extra to get the rights to a pastiche when they can just hire a screenwriter to write one? Fleming's stories were the unique products of a very strange mind--Gardner and Benson's aren't. Any screenwriter can try doing what they did and is no likelier to fail.

Anyway, we have lots of Fleming titles left. As I never tire of saying, the filmmakers can easily use a chapter title. Several examples are listed below, and while obviously not all of these will appeal to everyone, and some will hate some and like others, they're a decent pool to choose from.

A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
The Eye That Never Sleeps
Death Is So Permanent
The Slaughterer
The Wizard of Ice
Black on Pink
Horizons of Agony
The Long Scream
Slave-Time
Crime de la Crime
Take It Easy, Mr.Bond
Cardboard Hero
How to Eat a Girl
Naked Warfare
The Gambit of Shame
Death for Breakfast
Fork Left for Hell
Blood-Lift
Hell's Delight
All the Time In the World
Slay it with Flowers
Blood and Thunder
The Stars Foretell

Unfortunately, only one of them (GAMBIT OF SHAME) seems remotely usable. The rest sound like 1980's TV movies starring Morgan Fairchild.

THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL gets my vote for now.

#25 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

You're really shilling this one, aren't you? B)

#26 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

You're really shilling this one, aren't you? B)

Call it 'canvassing'...

#27 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Sure. It's cool, it's Flemingish, and interesting.

The other Fleming-derived title possibility would be SHATTERHAND, though, which I think would make for a smashing title if they could find a way to work that phrase into the plot (even if it's as simple as Bond being part of Operation: Shatterhand).

#28 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

Sure. It's cool, it's Flemingish, and interesting.

The other Fleming-derived title possibility would be SHATTERHAND, though, which I think would make for a smashing title if they could find a way to work that phrase into the plot (even if it's as simple as Bond being part of Operation: Shatterhand).

Shatterhand would be perfect, in my opinion. There are so many possibilities surrounding it's potential meaning.

#29 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

You're really shilling this one, aren't you? :tdown:

Call it 'canvassing'...

Why are you canvassing? You'd surely be the first to say that Eon shouldn't listen to the opinions of fans. B)

However, yes, I think it's a splendid title. :tdown:

#30 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Unfortunately, only one of them (GAMBIT OF SHAME) seems remotely usable. The rest sound like 1980's TV movies starring Morgan Fairchild.

I'm not sure why Devil should be more usable when it's just more dull, and rather unexciting. It's a second-guessing of Fleming rather than the real thing. The chapter titles are admittedly more sensationalistic, but they at least have a frisson.