37 replies to this topic

#1 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:27 AM

Old news maybe, but I've only just found it out so I'll post it here.

I was at HMV (or whatever ?) last night, and in the "B" section of their DVD shevles they had a sign advertising the "Bond Monster DVD collection, all 19 Film, October 31st" and they are already taking pre-orders and whatnot, I assume you'll be able to buy indiviula titles as well. So if you haven't got any of the Bond DVDs yet, nows your chance. If your like me and you have some but not all of the, well bad luck, they'll probably change the cover art of something and you'll collection will now look stupid on your bookcase, serves us right for not buying all 19 at once. :)

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:32 AM

Originally posted by freemo
If your like me and you have some but not all of the, well bad luck, they'll probably change the cover art of something and you'll collection will now look stupid on your bookcase, serves us right for not buying all 19 at once. :)

And how irritating is that?

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:38 AM

More so than people would think.

I may try and sell the seven I've got and then buy the whole set (Assuming it's a giant box set or whatever), I'll wait and see.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:48 AM

I know what you mean, and I've got 18 out 19! And then I leave the UK to work abroad for a year and return to find they've deleted the buggers!

Annoying is not the word.

Still, I'll definitely buy the box set. I don't know if the Oz version is the same as the UK (R2) one, but if it is it'll have a bonus disc featuring a history of the Bond franchise, a DIE ANOTHER DAY Behind the Scenes, plus DAD trailers.

I feel a bit extravagant re-buying the DVDs, but I recently quit smoking after 11 years as a chainsmoker, and I definitely feel I deserve it.

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 01:14 AM

18 of the 19 ? Jeez, that's bad luck man, but glad to hear you've given up smoking, you'll feel much better for it. :)

#6 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 01:59 AM

At least your DVDs DO match when collected as a complete set. The R1 DVDs look hideous when lined up.

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 08:12 AM

Check out this thread, Freemo for all the info.

The art is the same, and is appalling again - - our sets don't line up either; the colours on the side vary in length.

And yes, you can buy the DVDs individually.

There are many more DVDs I want to buy before I get this [I have the Special Edition VHS tapes], so I may wait until Die Another Day is included before purchasing it.

[dark]

#8 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 07:26 PM

The region 4 set is definitely a coardboard case. I don't think it comes with the bonus disk but looking at ezydvd.com.au it comes with a key ring and T-shirt. I am also pretty sure that all the DVD's are again being released at the same time so you can buy them separately.

I ordered the set off PlanetDVD.com.au two and a half months ago and have had an agonsing wait since then...but only 15 more days till they ship.

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:54 AM

The art is the same, and is appalling again - - our sets don't line up either; the colours on the side vary in length.

Tell me about it, the colours and titles don't line up at all, at least the pictures on the spine line up, not that it matters really since most o fthe pictures suck. Goldfinger cover looks terrific, I'll grant that, YOLT isn't too bad either, but Thunderball, For Yours Eyes Only, Licence to Kill and The World is Noth Enough amoung others have terrible cover pictures, unimaginative, uninspiring, and so forth.

#10 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:58 AM

I guess I was just assuming your DVDs were similar to the UK DVDs, which (from the pics I've seen) are black and form the 007 logo on the spines when lined up. It sounds like you've got the same ones we're stuck with.

I'd consider slowly rebuying the set it had matching spines and original poster artwork. I guess I'd better get around to printing the alternates I downloaded a few months ago...

#11 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:06 AM

Yeah, those alternatives rock, I've been thinking about printing them off myself.

#12 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:48 AM

Where can you get the alternatives from?

#13 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 02:03 AM

http://www.thedigita...ws/007dvds.html

Just click underneath the flaming girl picture.

They're pretty big downloads, but that's because of the high quality. Not everyones taste maybe, but I like them :)

#14 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 10:14 AM

Originally posted by freemo
Tell me about it, the colours and titles don't line up at all, at least the pictures on the spine line up, not that it matters really since most o fthe pictures suck. Goldfinger cover looks terrific, I'll grant that, YOLT isn't too bad either, but Thunderball, For Yours Eyes Only, Licence to Kill and The World is Noth Enough amoung others have terrible cover pictures, unimaginative, uninspiring, and so forth.

You have to wonder how hard it is to keep the colours lined up - - compare Dr. No's to Licence to Kill's! The latter goes right up to the MGM logo before stopping abruptly. The logos could have easily been centred as well. These blunders are even more noticable on the VHS tapes given their widths.

I must say I like the main images - I admit they are uninspired, but they look pretty modern which, in my opinion, would pull in more purchases than if they were sold as nostalgia. There are a couple of dull ones, I have to say [Diamonds are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun, and The Spy Who Loved Me come to mind].

My faves'd be From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, Octopussy and GoldenEye.

[dark]

#15 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:25 PM

Cheers Freemo. They are big files, but one of the benefits of working for an ISP :)

#16 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:16 AM

LOL

If you've got dial up like me, bring a book to read while the files are downloading.

#17 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 09:24 AM

This may be old, but I've just noticed this this evening when I was at Target.

Apart from the 'Monster' 19 DVD box set, they'll also be a "Pierce Brosnan" Bond DVD set, with his three current films and an empty slot for DAD. I only saw a pic of the box set, but it looked pretty cool, one for the Broz fans. :)

I also saw a "Preview" box for Nightfire, looks pretty nice, overall, a grand time to be alive. :)

#18 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 08:53 AM

I'm as aesthetically fussy as the next girl but I'm astounded at the concern you guys show for how the spines of your Bond dvd's match up.

#19 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 05:29 AM

I'm not asking that they match up perfectly or anything, but it really looks like tried to make it as bad as they possibliy could.

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:37 AM

There is a Brosnan Bond set, and a Connery Bond set, but no Moore set for some reason.

Oh and we've been given a raw deal, no silver box set for us!:)

#21 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:45 AM

There's a Connery set ? I didn't know about that, I have all the Connery Bond DVDs anyway, but that's still pretty cool.

I wasn't expecting the silver box, I assume they're just having a cardboard box or something for the 19 set ?

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:47 AM

Yeah they are. But I think that sucks. The silver set is really nice, so why can't that get released here? :)

#23 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 10:09 AM

I've seen a Connery/Lazenby set featuring the first seven films, a Moore set, featuring the next seven and a Dalton/Brosnan set featuring the last five.

They were released early this year, I think. The packaging is the same as the original three box sets they had in the U.S.

I'd love to have the steele case released here, but it looks like we're just getting the cardboard box.

[dark]

#24 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 07:12 PM

Just got an email from Planet DVD sdaying that they were couriering my monster collection and would anyone be home tomorrow to sign for it. Very exciting! I'll be sure to let you know how the spines line up.

#25 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:54 AM

I've seen a Connery/Lazenby set featuring the first seven films, a Moore set, featuring the next seven and a Dalton/Brosnan set featuring the last five.

Yeah, I got the Connery/Lazenby one back in January, but they were pulled before I could get the Moore one. :)

#26 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:39 AM

Okay, the DVDs are out today. The cover art is the same, but the colors and titles on the spine now all stack up against eachother alot better than before. I saw them at $25.95 each or $399.95 for the box set. :)

#27 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 06:27 AM

399?? what a ripoff, i saw it for 340 today at Target.

#28 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 07:42 AM

Good to hear, Freemo. :)

#29 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 08:29 AM

399?? what a ripoff, i saw it for 340 today at Target.

Really, Hmmm, I thought 399 sounded high. Oh well, I know where I'm getting mine from now. :)

#30 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 09:15 AM

glad i could help