This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How do you read a Bond Continuation Novel?

7 replies to this topic

#1 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

As I was gliding through the Fleming Bond novels for the first time, at the back of my mind I found myself dreading getting to The Living Daylights and Octopussy. The reason I was dreading the last novel was because for months I had been caught up in the fantasy world of James Bond. After that I knew there was no more of Flemings Bond books to read. I knew there were continuation novels out there, but I could just not see myself being able to read them. I mean, Ian Fleming was James Bonds master and creator. I could not fault any of the James Bond Books written by Fleming.

So how do you tackle reading continuation Bond novels? Do you find yourself getting in the right frame of mind before you tackle an Amis, Gardner, Benson or Faulks novel?

Or do you simply not even think about it and get on and read it? And does it always feel like the same James Bond as originally created by Fleming?

#2 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

The original Bond films starring Sean Connery were the best, weren't they? Those continuation Bond films starring Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig are different and don't feel the same as the Connery films. I guess I just somehow struggled through*. B)

I guess if one likes literary Bond, one makes the choice: to try or not to try - to enjoy or not to enjoy.

DAN LIGHTER, I suggest you dip one eye in Colonel Sun and Pearson's Bond biography. You might even enjoy them. I think Fleming fans tend to.

To quote that great Chinese philospher, Charlie Chan: "Mind like parachute: function best when open."

*for the avoidance of all doubt (well, this is the innerned!), I am japing, joshing, trying to be grappig

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Wise words ACE, wise words. B)

I read Colonel Sun and could have been fooled into thinking I was reading Fleming. Very enjoyable.

Just chomped my way through Gardner’s License Renewed. It took me many months to read as I had trouble with the first few chapters. But I kept coming back to it. But why was Bond bothered about a bloody sleepeasy bed? Overall I enjoyed it, but I think I would struggle with the rest of Gardner’s books. Benson is next on my list to try. I have the Union Trilogy but think it better to start at the start.

#4 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

None of the continuation novels compares with Fleming. But I've read them all and for the most part enjoyed them. What I've found is that each of the continuation authors tends to start out well and then get worse as their tenure goes on. My personal reccomendations would be Col. Sun, Gardner's first-License Renewed and Zero Minus Ten. I'm not a fan of Devil May Care at all. With all of them, it doesn't feel like you're reading Fleming, just as watching a Bond movie, even the early ones, doesn't really feel like Fleming either, but it can be a good time. One more recommendation. There is a lot of good fan fiction on the Cb.net site, which actually stacks up well with the continuation stuff (most literary Bond fans seem to have at least one good story in them). A good introduction would be the collection Forever Yours With Regret which is posted on-line. Since its short stories and free, you could sample it and see if you like it. But I would agree with the recommendations on Col. Sun and Pearson's authorized bio. You might also want to get a copy of Thrilling Cities and maybe a few of the Fleming bios out there.

#5 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Cool, DAN LIGHTER.

At least you're sampling them.

No, no-one is as good as Ian Fleming.
But some come close.

But I think Gardner and Benson and Faulks could function as entry point Bond for those who might find Fleming's style and reference points a tad dated. I hope Young Bond serves a similar function.

I think once one wants to continue their litBond journey, one has to sort of accept things will be different.

A bit like the films. Those who believe the Connery films were the original and best will always be disappointed by what follows (to some extent). However, if one realizes continuation Bond now, in 2009, is a fait accompli, one can just enjoy it for what it is.

Sometimes, it really is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

#6 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

I just read them. I've got some enjoyment out of every one of them. Closest in tone to Fleming are Higson and Weinberg.

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

If you're chomping at the bit for more Fleming, try the Moneypenny Diaries, DAN. They're set during the same time period as Fleming. Samantha Weinberg builds upon many of the events during the latter run of Fleming's books. Highly recommended if you want more Fleming.

#8 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

If you're chomping at the bit for more Fleming, try the Moneypenny Diaries, DAN. They're set during the same time period as Fleming. Samantha Weinberg builds upon many of the events during the latter run of Fleming's books. Highly recommended if you want more Fleming.

Seconded! The Diaries are the best thing in the literary "franchise". Smart books, well crafted, and with an understanding/knowledge of the FlemingBond universe second to none in the continuation novels.

I'd also advise some of the FanFics here. Actually, I came to FanFics after finishing the Fleming novels / short stories, and feeling underwhelmed by the official continuation (that was before I found the Diaries B)). I thought that among the mass of Bond fans, some should have some talent as writers, ans most of all that they'd write without all the constraints of an official continuation author. I haven't been disappointed: of course the level is quite uneven, but you can find some really interesting stories in the fanfic section.