16 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

We’re so proud to present this on CBn’s main page.

Posted Image
A new serialised fan fiction novel from Thomas Clink.
Chapters 1 and 2 are online.

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

The hardest thing about the last eight years, as this plot stuck fast, fermenting in my mind the whole time, was the last few months after having seen Mister Asterix's amazing cover. I wanted so desperately to send it to everyone on the site to show them how beautiful it was. Now, I can finally rest easy.

I owe the world to Evan, who first brought me to this site all those years ago, and who even earlier provided me with the cover to From Death's Door that gave me the inspiration and the drive to finish that novel. Now he has done the same here, and once again, I am indebted and inspired.

There will be a formal acknowledgement section once the book is finished (I figure I'm going to need quite a bit of help between here and there) but I would be a fool not to recognize the contributions that Loomis has made in helping me with the culture and languages of China. Two chapters in, and I've already bothered him handfuls of times with questions. His is gracious with his time and knowledge, and we're lucky to have him here at CBn. I assure you, any mistakes, herein, are through my own ignorance, and no fault of Loomis'.

I also assure you, kind readers, that it will not take me four years to write each chapter. I never began this book, because I feared that I would not have the time to finish it, but now that I have, I will. The nice thing is that over the years, little bits of information, or ideas, would drop into my lap like ripe lychee fruit, and I would tuck them away in the very empty recesses of my mind for use in this story.

For those who get beyond the cover, I hope you enjoy. I have described Ian Fleming's writing as uncomfortable, ugly things told in beautiful ways, I have done my best to bring that recipe to the table.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

There will be a formal acknowledgement section once the book is finished (I figure I'm going to need quite a bit of help between here and there) but I would be a fool not to recognize the contributions that Loomis has made in helping me with the culture and languages of China. Two chapters in, and I've already bothered him handfuls of times with questions. His is gracious with his time and knowledge, and we're lucky to have him here at CBn. I assure you, any mistakes, herein, are through my own ignorance, and no fault of Loomis'.

Thanks, clink. Didn't really do anything, but it's been a pleasure to correspond with one of the few people in this world whose Bond fiction is truly worth reading, and I've been looking forward to seeing THE ART OF COLD WAR up on CBn. BTW, I'm finally getting round to installing the Chinese language pack on my computer, so let me know if you need any characters. B)

#4 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

an outstanding read so far, Clink! I really enjoy topics like this in novels. After reading The Ghost War, which is about a war stiring up in China, I wanted to just read Bond.

Good luck,
Cheers
GP

#5 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

Great title. See what you did there, Mr Clink B) :tdown: :tdown:

#6 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

I'm gonna start reading tonight after BSG's done. But I'm excited, can't be worse than Devil May Care right?

#7 silver beast

silver beast

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Absolutely excellent writing. Look forward to more chapters!!

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Magnificent.

#9 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:14 AM

That sums it up.

#10 Dainshdude118

Dainshdude118

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

Just finished the first chapter and I've gotta say, it's pretty awsome.

Keep up the good work man.

B)

#11 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've been busy writing away of late at Chapters Three (Fruit of the Poison Tree) and Four (The Land of Nod) simultaneously. I'm hoping to give Mr. * both to set at the same time, to conserve effort.

It's fun to be getting back into Fleming/Bond's world again, but the level of detail and accuracy needed to pull it off, especially as a period piece, is daunting.

Thanks to all those that have enjoyed the story so far, there is much more to come, and I look forward to treading this path with you. I promise that CBn will be the first place that each chapter sees light, so please, stay tuned.

Cheers,

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Splendid.

#13 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

I am really looking forward to this! Don't hold it against me, Clinkeroo, but I'll probably wait until a few more chapters, or maybe the whole novel is available. I'm an avid reader, and it's so hard to read a chapter, then another two months later... :tdown:

I wish you good luck and a lot of fun with your writing! :tdown:

Read you soon B)

#14 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

First of all, I understand completely, MkB. I'm guilty of the exact same thing. I've waited all this time to read JIM's opus, and he finishes it up just as I have a week's holiday. Most excellent :tdown: !

I'm a little confused about what to do with TAOCW. Mr. * put a lot of work into the layout and the graphics, and then the whole Fan Fiction section was kidnapped. I know the guys are still trying to come up with a way to soldier on, but it sure puts a damper on things.

Then there's the whole thing with my cronies SNF and Hitch leaving the sight. I may not agree with why they left, but I certainly respect their opinions, and I miss their voices, contributions, and love of Fleming's works like hell.

Just makes me sad that last year, with FYWR, this site set a high water mark in Bond fan fiction, and that was quickly followed by JIM's Heart Bleeds Ice and MkB's Mecurious Affair, and now we can't even re-read FYWR. Highs to lows.

JIM finished his book, that's a good start, and I know I'm going to enjoy the hell out of reading it this week, but it's not going to be as easy on the eyes. Now, I wish I'd saved the old PDF that was up just a few months ago.

BTW - Jacques, if you have a PDF, is there any way you could PM it to me. If that breaks the rules, then just club me like a baby seal B) .

I'm not mad a CBn, this place is my Bond home, and we do what we have to do. It's just what started out as a great year for Bond fiction has turned sour for me with the absence of good, old friends and good, old stories. Now, I have this new chapter done, and another almost ready, and I have nowhere to submit them. I was hoping CBn would get the new section up, but my PM queries about that have gone unanswered for many, many weeks. I guess I'll eventually do what JIM has done, and there's always my cosy spot over at Fanfiction.net...

it's just sad, even for Bleakeroo :tdown: .

#15 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hello everyone,

Did anyone happen to save the PDF's from the first two chapters of my story? Unfortunately, Due to a computer, and back-up, crash I have lost them, along with Evan's excellent cover art. If anyone has them, could you please PM me.

Thank you, all.

#16 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think I've got them on my other computer - will take a look and send if nobody else manages to in the meantime.

#17 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Thanks, Term.

I haven't heard from anyone else yet.