14 replies to this topic

#1 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Wow. Just Wow. I haven't posted in a while, but this makes my blood boil.

The movie website Dark Horizons has posted a description of a five minute preview of the upcoming GI Joe movie. I have to say, after the Super Bowl teaser I was surprised and mildly impressed, but that is now gone.

I'll just post the link so you can read it yourself, and you'll probably figure it out before the article comes right out with it.

http://www.darkhoriz...otage-screened/

I swear, if platinum is in the movie...

#2 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

Wow. Now THAT'S original... B)

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Nanotechnology run amok is hardly original in fiction. Check out "grey goo" and you'll realize how unoriginal Everything or Nothing really is.

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yeah its been done before, Michael Crichton's "Prey", amongst others.

#5 Sir James Molony

Sir James Molony

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

According to this Entertainment Weekly article, the director of the new G.I. Joe movie is a self-proclaimed fan of 1960s-era Bond (but not QoS):

http://hollywoodinsi...e-director.html

Ignore the article title and look at the last paragraph, which quotes the director as follows:

"I always loved the old Bonds," he says. "It's funny now how Bond wants to be Bourne. I loved Quantum of Solace, but it was like, man, this is a completely different movie to the Bonds I grew up with. In a very contemporary way, G.I. Joe is inspired by the memory of the kind of movies I saw when I was younger. I remember being in the theater for Thunderball and the big underwater battle at the end of that movie just blew my socks off. In G.I. Joe, there's an underwater battle under the polar icecap that's Thunderball times 10!"

#6 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

According to this Entertainment Weekly article, the director of the new G.I. Joe movie is a self-proclaimed fan of 1960s-era Bond (but not QoS):

http://hollywoodinsi...e-director.html

Ignore the article title and look at the last paragraph, which quotes the director as follows:

"I always loved the old Bonds," he says. "It's funny now how Bond wants to be Bourne. I loved Quantum of Solace, but it was like, man, this is a completely different movie to the Bonds I grew up with. In a very contemporary way, G.I. Joe is inspired by the memory of the kind of movies I saw when I was younger. I remember being in the theater for Thunderball and the big underwater battle at the end of that movie just blew my socks off. In G.I. Joe, there's an underwater battle under the polar icecap that's Thunderball times 10!"

I'm not sure he's in the position to be accusing one film of copying another, when GI Joe has got nothing going on in it other than generic Matrix wannabe action scenes (about five years after that kind of thing has become old hat, too). Seriously, dudes all dressed in black leather jumping around in slo-mo? That ain't the GI Joe I remember!

Oh, its Steven Sommers? Eww! His CGI typically makes Lee Tamahori's efforts look like gritty realism.

#7 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Seriously, dudes all dressed in black leather jumping around in slo-mo? That ain't the GI Joe I remember!

Isn't that pretty much what one of the most famous characters used to do (well, maybe not slow motion)?

#8 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

As for originality, check these out:

http://stylefrizz.co...ler-g-i-joe.jpg

http://www.kaboomrev...uma_thurman.jpg

Um, hello?

#9 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Seriously, dudes all dressed in black leather jumping around in slo-mo? That ain't the GI Joe I remember!

Isn't that pretty much what one of the most famous characters used to do (well, maybe not slow motion)?

Yeah one of the characters is a ninja who dresses in black. But for some reason they've now got everyone dressed in tight black leather, and GI Joe is now an acronym meaning Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity because they don't want to make it look like the movie is about Americans having a war B) I dunno, when you have to make political compromises in a movie based on toys, its probably a sign that you shouldn't have bothered in the first place!

#10 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

I was half expecting that article to go on and say that the movie would feature a theme sung by Mya and a Heidi Klum cameo.

#11 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

It's funny because the black suites are from a later version of GI Joe (Sigma 6) where their Sigma suits enhanced their abilities. Sucks that you won't see the traditional Joe uniforms though.

As for the comparison between Sienna and Uma. You gotta remember, Baroness always wore the black leather in the cartoon and comics so that's actually her right suit. So they got her right and Snake Eyes kinda right.

Edited by OmarB, 22 March 2009 - 11:45 PM.

#12 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

As long as they call it 'Action Force' in the UK I'll be happy.

#13 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

They won't. But I hear that Action Man himself might have a cameo.

#14 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

As long as they call it 'Action Force' in the UK I'll be happy.

Also they have to dub over every reference to "G.I. Joe" with "Action Force", and every "Yo Joe!" has to be replaced with "full force!". And of course, the actor who does this dubbing must noticably not be the original actor, and these dubs must stick out like a sore thumb. These things are all neccessary for the full Action Force experience.

#15 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

As for the comparison between Sienna and Uma. You gotta remember, Baroness always wore the black leather in the cartoon and comics so that's actually her right suit. So they got her right and Snake Eyes kinda right.

They could have made some effort with it. It looks like the Toys R Us version, and what's with the nightmare split ends Uma hair? That wasn't in the cartoon for sure.