Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

CBn presents on the main page...

Posted Image
A conversation with the author of 'Ian Fleming, James Bond, and 007's Deadly Sins'

#2 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

I am sorry but this book annoys me as much as the really overly academic studies of Bond. The author is clutching at straws. Finding inferences that are clearly not there. But hey, lets twist and bend things until we do. Nonsense.

#3 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

I am sorry but this book annoys me as much as the really overly academic studies of Bond. The author is clutching at straws. Finding inferences that are clearly not there. But hey, lets twist and bend things until we do. Nonsense.

"In your book, you speculate that Ian Fleming might not have chosen the name James Bond after the ornithologist, but rather from the first sentence of the Epistle of James."

Yeah, that's about the size of it.

#4 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Didn't this guy date Julia Roberts?

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

"In your book, you speculate that Ian Fleming might not have chosen the name James Bond after the ornithologist, but rather from the first sentence of the Epistle of James."

Yeah, that's about the size of it.

:tdown:
It's a pity though if there really are so many straw-clutching statements, for Fleming was indeed influenced by a religious background. The St George vs. Dragon aspects for instance, or his repeated use of the originally quite monastic concept of accidia.

Didn't this guy date Julia Roberts?

Wasn't it Pratt Pitt? B)

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:45 AM

It does go to show you that there are seemingly endless theories and ideas on just how James Bond came around.