This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Anyone know the current status on vintage Bond comic strips?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

Last night I found a box at my house that had a few of the Bond comic strips reprinted in book form. It's been a while since I've looked into what's been printed lately. Here's my checklist:

DAF, FRWL, DN - published by the James Bond Fan Club (USA) in 1981.

Published by Titan in the late 80s/early 90s:
CR, LALD
TMWTGG, TLD
TSWLM
OP, THRarity

Published recently:
OHMSS, YOLT

I also have Italian prints of MR and TB, but of course I would prefer to have English versions of.

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

Guess you've been out of the loop as Titan is thisclose to completing the reprinting of the whole run.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Everything you need to know about the reprints can be found here.

#4 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Wow, they really went gangbusters this time. Looks like I'll have to re-purchase CR/LALD to get MR. And when I get GF it will effectively round out my Ian Fleming collection of comic strips. I'll probably get Colonel Sun as well.

Next question: are the "continuation stories" in the strips worth it? In my youth I would have quickly snapped them up irregardless of quality. Back then I snapped up everything I could on James Bond (as I'm now re-discovering by finally going through some packing boxes). I've kind of leveled off on that so that now I'm a bit more selective.

#5 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

I stopped reading them after Fleming's were done.

darthbond

#6 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

They're worth getting.

#7 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Wow, they really went gangbusters this time. Looks like I'll have to re-purchase CR/LALD to get MR. And when I get GF it will effectively round out my Ian Fleming collection of comic strips. I'll probably get Colonel Sun as well.

Next question: are the "continuation stories" in the strips worth it? In my youth I would have quickly snapped them up irregardless of quality. Back then I snapped up everything I could on James Bond (as I'm now re-discovering by finally going through some packing boxes). I've kind of leveled off on that so that now I'm a bit more selective.

They are hit and miss. Some good art and some not so good. Some good stories and some bad. I find them more interesting than the Fleming adaptations. Worth getting? Yes.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 14 March 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#8 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

Some are better, or even much better, than others, but overall I think they're worth getting.